• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

I Was Transferring Some Old Slides...

Blarg

My mom gave me the collection of family slides and projector when they downsized to a single level home since my dad is now using a walker.

So I picked up a cheap film/slide converter and went to work transferring reel after reel of color slides of the family from my parents younger years to the late 70's when Dad quit having slides made.

In the boxes were also black and white negatives, a bunch of roles of film we never saw transferred to prints. So it was interesting seeing pictures of my brothers when they were infants along with relatives, christenings, parties, campouts and hunting trips. 

Then there were rolls of negatives my Dad shot during his tour of duty in the Air Force back in the early and mid fifties. Some camp photos, forgotten comrades, pictures of aircraft and the scenic tour he was on while stationed in France, Italy and Greece.

Then I come across a series of pictures of my Dad with some woman in France shot by one of his Air Force buddies. Dad had a young wife and two young boys at home at the time. 

I don't think I'm going to include those in the family Christmas present of jump drives with over 2,000 photos. Some history doesn't need to be handed down.

Anyone else find out some shocking family history by accident? 

my dad admitted to three affairs on the night he and my mom had a knock-down-drag-'em-out fight that ended with them deciding to divorce. we always suspected he probably had more that he didn't admit. fortunately, there aren't any pictures (that we know of). when he passes and we go through his stuff, nearly all of it is going to be tossed except for just a very few things.

1 hour ago, Blarg said:

I have some old super 8 movies I made with friends back in high school. Some very crude animation and stop frame live action. I can transfer these one frame at a time with this home unit then build a movie file out of them. 

One frame at a time, that shouldn't take too long at 18-24 frames per second! 

I bet you wished you thought of this 3 months ago, when you were bored out of your skull staring at the ceiling.

10 hours ago, Blarg said:

I have some old super 8 movies I made with friends back in high school. Some very crude animation and stop frame live action. I can transfer these one frame at a time with this home unit then build a movie file out of them. 

treat them like they're the zapruder film.

My father was a machinist when I was growing up, but when he was younger, he was a tenor sax player in various big bands.  He was a very unassuming and quiet guy, but one evening when I was in my early 20's and my mom was out of town, he and I started to drink.  He told me stories when he was touring with the USO in Europe right after WWII and the nightly visits he had with all the chorus and dancing girls (there were dozens).  The former Nazi youth leader young woman that came with the room he was given in Berlin.  She would beat up any women she found with my father.  The time he toured with the all female big band (they were a novelty back in the 40's and 50's) and nightly orgies with all the members.

Too many stories to tell, but that man lived a very interesting life.

40 minutes ago, IEAngelsfan said:

My father was a machinist when I was growing up, but when he was younger, he was a tenor sax player in various big bands.  He was a very unassuming and quiet guy, but one evening when I was in my early 20's and my mom was out of town, he and I started to drink.  He told me stories when he was touring with the USO in Europe right after WWII and the nightly visits he had with all the chorus and dancing girls (there were dozens).  The former Nazi youth leader young woman that came with the room he was given in Berlin.  She would beat up any women she found with my father.  The time he toured with the all female big band (they were a novelty back in the 40's and 50's) and nightly orgies with all the members.

Too many stories to tell, but that man lived a very interesting life.

no wonder he kept quiet.

On 12/22/2017 at 11:51 AM, Blarg said:

I’m glad you posted this because it triggered my memory. My parents have old 8mm video of them when they were young. There’s film of my mom holding me as a baby and another of her dancing with my dad. I’ll have to be sure to grab the reels when I go to their house on Christmas. I need to have them digitally transferred. 

It’s a trip to see your parents when they were younger than you are now.

My parents went through some rocky times, my Mom had confronted him about having an affair one night when he came in at 3am. That ended up with him actually hitting her and scratched her cheek. For a month she slept on the couch downstairs.

A few years ago I was doing a name search for family members on a free trial of ancestry.com and found not only when my great grandfather immigrated to America and what ship he traveled on but also my parents filing for divorce in Orange County Superior Court my senior year of high school. 

They never signed the final papers but I asked my Mom about it last spring when I visited and she said she made her decision to live this life, it was a comfortable one with no wants and a retirement in a nice house but also had to pay for it living with my father's arrogance, selflessness and mood swings. She admitted she was scared to walk away and be on her own. 

Yeah, just some pictures of the past which reminds you of the good times experienced as a child while others were living out a more complex adult life.

I have one, his name is Gene and he is the most likeable guy you will meet. His house has an original man cave, a full basement with some old used furniture, a pool table, a TV with rabbit ears and a refrigerator jammed full of beer. 

My brother and I were staying at their place for a few days when he was 15 and I was 11, camped out in the basement. We started sneaking beers out of Gene's fridge and he comes downstairs catching us, we thought we were dead. 

Gene grins ear to ear, gets a beer out of the fridge and a pool cue and says, "Whose break?" We played pool for another two hours until his wife, Dolly, yells downstairs to let those boys get some sleep. As he makes his way upstairs he looks back and reminds us to put the bottles in the recycle. Never another word was spoken about it. 

Edited by Blarg

On 12/22/2017 at 8:09 AM, Blarg said:

My mom gave me the collection of family slides and projector when they downsized to a single level home since my dad is now using a walker.

So I picked up a cheap film/slide converter and went to work transferring reel after reel of color slides of the family from my parents younger years to the late 70's when Dad quit having slides made.

In the boxes were also black and white negatives, a bunch of roles of film we never saw transferred to prints. So it was interesting seeing pictures of my brothers when they were infants along with relatives, christenings, parties, campouts and hunting trips. 

Then there were rolls of negatives my Dad shot during his tour of duty in the Air Force back in the early and mid fifties. Some camp photos, forgotten comrades, pictures of aircraft and the scenic tour he was on while stationed in France, Italy and Greece.

Then I come across a series of pictures of my Dad with some woman in France shot by one of his Air Force buddies. Dad had a young wife and two young boys at home at the time. 

I don't think I'm going to include those in the family Christmas present of jump drives with over 2,000 photos. Some history doesn't need to be handed down.

Anyone else find out some shocking family history by accident? 

Post the pic of the french woman.  We are all friends here.

15 minutes ago, yk9001 said:

Post the pic of the french woman.  We are all friends here.

7 minutes ago, yk9001 said:

I got some old 1950s slides from my mom's house about 5 or 6 years ago, and made a slide movie.  My parents were together through all the pictures, however.  It was fun putting it together.

Here's a picture of my mom in Solvang in the 1950s.

893429_241353359360174_1568879553_o.jpg?

That's her!