• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Winter meetings, implications of Othani

floplag

5 minutes ago, Turd Ferguson said:

FWIW, MLB Trade Rumors suggested that we might be a candidate for a 6-man rotation to limit his innings.

I think you can manage his innings without going to a full 6 man rotation....you don't want to mess with the other guys who are used to a 5 man rotation....skip Othani with off days, lots of things you can do....

I think the implications are huge:

1. It means the Angels are very serious about 2018, which in turn means that Eppler is far from finished this offseason. We'll see a new 2B and/or 3B, possibly trades involving Cron, Calhoun, Shoemaker, Skaggs.

2. Six-man rotation seems very possible: Ohtani, Richards, Heaney, Skaggs, Shoemaker, Bridwell/Ramirez/Tropeano.

3. No 1B/DH signings - there's just no room now.

4. Best of all, this increases our chances of extending Trout. In fact, do it now - see if he'll bite in the midst of the excitement. But assuming Ohtani is as good as advertised, Trout is more likely to stay long-term.

Keep in mind that we were the only team telling him we would play him daily.  This means he is our DH 5 days a week or so, most likely.

Thus, for better or worse, we have acquired our new 1B - Albert.  He will occupy 1B 4-5 days a week most likely, with days off sprinkled in, and will assuredly be DH when Ohtani pitches.

Thus, no Santana.  Valbuena shifts to 3B and probably platoons with Marte or another modest FA signing.

We will almost assuredly acquire a 2B.  I am hoping it is Hernandez.

We will still have enough payroll to pursue one more significant piece.  OR, we hold tight, and shock the world by signing Bryce Harper next offseason :)

1 minute ago, Warfarin said:

Keep in mind that we were the only team telling him we would play him daily.  This means he is our DH 5 days a week or so, most likely.

Thus, for better or worse, we have acquired our new 1B - Albert.  He will occupy 1B 4-5 days a week most likely, with days off sprinkled in, and will assuredly be DH when Ohtani pitches.

Thus, no Santana.  Valbuena shifts to 3B and probably platoons with Marte or another modest FA signing.

We will almost assuredly acquire a 2B.  I am hoping it is Hernandez.

We will still have enough payroll to pursue one more significant piece.  OR, we hold tight, and shock the world by signing Bryce Harper next offseason :)

Depending on off days...probably three or four days DHing.  I would not expect him to hit the day before or the day after he pitches.  I believe this was the same when he was in Japan.

2 minutes ago, HaloNArizona said:

Depending on off days...probably three or four days DHing.  I would not expect him to hit the day before or the day after he pitches.  I believe this was the same when he was in Japan.

Right, but I wonder how literal that quote is, that we were the only team offering him to play daily.  I imagine other teams would offer him the chance to DH/play the field 3-4 days a week.  The way it’s phrased makes me think we see him in the lineup maybe six days a week to some extent, whether it’s as a SP or DH.  At least that is how I am interpreting that quote.

That said, I agree with you in that I feel having him rest before/after his start is ideal.

Could be the Angels and Ohtani are in agreement in how to develop his unique talents. He's only 23. We've never seen a Japanese star come to the US while still being 'raw' and developing - they're usually coming here fully developed.

Ohtani seems to have high goals on his mind - maybe he does aim to be a full-time SP who really does play 1B or OF 3-4 times a week, maybe DH once, but he is aware that won't happen Day One. So we may see him gradually move into the field. 

Totally uncharted territory.

At this point, I'd say the one position we definitely need to address is 2B.  With Ohtani in the fold, assuming he DHs 3-4 days a week, with Pujols DHing the other 3-4 days and possibly manning 1B 1-2 times a week, we have a bit of flexibility with 1B/3B.  Between Pujols, Valbuena, Cron, Marte, and Cowart, we have various options we can mix and match at those positions.

Hernandez is the key target.  I'm really hoping Billy can swing a trade for him, as he'd solve our leadoff + 2B hole for the next 3 years.   I like Santana, but we obviously don't have room for him anymore.  Moose... he's a possibility, but I'm not so sure either.  Darvish, maybe?  Having a top 3 of Darvish / Richards / Ohtani would be amazing, but I'm not sure he's worth the investment at this point.

We'll see what happens.  But wow, what an amazing offseason so far!  

The only red flag that I can see is that he pitched 160 innings in 2016, and followed that by pitching 50 or so in 2017.  And, he is only 23.  I think that Mike Scioscia also came into play during the decision making process, the reasoning being is that the manager is very good at working a pitching staff. 

My guess is, health permitting, we see Ohtani for about 180 innings or so in 2018.