• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Jerry Dipoto

tdawg87

16 hours ago, Troll Daddy said:

What if Dipoto traded Mike Trout for Matt Kemp because the team already had Bourjeous in CF

8A6D58E8-EAFF-47EC-B5CD-26378471D8F4.jpeg

Jerry West had the best offseason ever, trading a declining aging center for Kobe, signing Shaq, and drafting Derek Fisher late in the 1st round.  The man has an eye for talent.

11 hours ago, Billy_Ball said:

Jerry West had the best offseason ever, trading a declining aging center for Kobe, signing Shaq, and drafting Derek Fisher late in the 1st round.  The man has an eye for talent.

Jerry West is a freaking ninja in terms of roster building.

On ‎12‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 4:41 AM, Billy_Ball said:

He built two winners as a FO guy (Lakers and Warriors).

On 12/19/2017 at 5:43 PM, ukyah said:

i'm sorry, jerry. i don't hate you like many here, but that's spin, spin, spin.

the mariners are in a very bad place as an organization. one eerily similar to what the angels have just dug themselves out of, and you were in charge for both situations in each organization.

It's funny....   Jerry put this out there to get his POV and spin out -- and it's worked -- people have started talking about it.... only people outside of Seattle are actually taking a real look at it and not just taking it at face value.

MLB Network today went over his statement about improving the supporting cast and they correctly pointed out that while the statement is true, the guys he's shipped out have actually produced more than the guys he's brought in -- and that doesn't begin to account for all the guys just starting to make it to MLB...    I LOLed at one point because they used the term "crutch" when talking about how he "inherited" the situation...

To be fair -- they said what we all said -- the guy IS smart..  he's just not as smart as he thinks he is, or shown himself to be a very good MLB GM.

34 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Greatest FO guy in NBA history in my lifetime...  At least IMO.

30 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

I happened to run into The Logo at the Watt's Summer Games many years ago when my daughter's lacrosse team was competing there. He had just joined the Warriors FO and I asked him what the plan was. He smiled, cackled and said "Come back in a couple of years and kick their asses!" Sounds like his plan worked. I didn't have the nerve to tell him he was a childhood idol of mine and the current background image on the phone in my pocket. He was very gracious and cordial, took time to take pictures with my daughter's team between games, just a great guy.

1 minute ago, makepeac said:

I happened to run into The Logo at the Watt's Summer Games many years ago when my daughter's lacrosse team was competing there. He had just joined the Warriors FO and I asked him what the plan was. He smiled, cackled and said "Come back in a couple of years and kick their asses!" Sounds like his plan worked. I didn't have the nerve to tell him he was a childhood idol of mine and the current background image on the phone in my pocket. He was very gracious and cordial, took time to take pictures with my daughter's team between games, just a great guy.

My brother got to meet him and John Wooden ... Absolutely gushes about both of them and how gracious they both were.

3 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

It's funny....   Jerry put this out there to get his POV and spin out -- and it's worked -- people have started talking about it.... only people outside of Seattle are actually taking a real look at it and not just taking it at face value.

MLB Network today went over his statement about improving the supporting cast and they correctly pointed out that while the statement is true, the guys he's shipped out have actually produced more than the guys he's brought in -- and that doesn't begin to account for all the guys just starting to make it to MLB...    I LOLed at one point because they used the term "crutch" when talking about how he "inherited" the situation...

To be fair -- they said what we all said -- the guy IS smart..  he's just not as smart as he thinks he is, or shown himself to be a very good MLB GM.

I have to agree again with Jerry West. Guy is a genius.

Ive mentioned a few times before, and i think youve posted some better info than I have, on Dipoto's seattle moves. I cant say too much, but a friend (scout) in that org has told me a few times the minors people (not players) are pretty miserable under dipo. Same thing as here, he took over, fired a bunch of people to bring in his own (which is his right), and the end result is the same as when he was here.

Analytics are great, but you also need people who know the game, and the players.

You can find loopholes, but you cant bypass one or the other. If you have bad scouts, ok, fire them. But you cant simply replace them with a calculator.

McNammara tried that in the 60s.

5 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

My brother got to meet him and John Wooden ... Absolutely gushes about both of them and how gracious they both were.

I was at a breakfast at LB State in 1995, where John Wooden was the speaker in front of about 500 folks.   As was his rep, he was a tremendous speaker with no ego whatsoever. 

I wonder if Jerry West got beyond his anxiety that peaked in his late years running the Lakers FO, where he couldn't bear watching the games in person.

Given how successful he was in different roles (player, coach, FO), that was surprising when I read that he couldn't bear to watch the big post-season games towards the end of his Lakers run in the FO.  

7 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

I was at a breakfast at LB State in 1995, where John Wooden was the speaker in front of about 500 folks.   As was his rep, he was a tremendous speaker with no ego whatsoever. 

I heard him speak at a large charity event in the early 2000's (actually he did a question/answer session), what you said about him is absolutely true AO.  He was a very inspirational guy.  He is a legend for some very good reasons.

3 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

I wonder if Jerry West got beyond his anxiety that peaked in his late years running the Lakers FO, where he couldn't bear watching the games in person.

Given how successful he was in different roles (player, coach, FO), that was surprising when I read that he couldn't bear to watch the big post-season games towards the end of his Lakers run in the FO.  

I was able to see Jerry West speak back in the late 90’s, pretty decent speaker.  

Wooden was amazing.  I saw him about 15 years ago.  He was 93 or 94 at the time and was able to quote poetry.  He was the one guy I always wanted to meet in sports and was able to.  

13 hours ago, makepeac said:

Ive heard that. A few people i knoe have been around him, and said he defines "im a legend, and dont know it."

How many guys are the logo of a sport, AND the best GM in history?

17 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

That's easy. The list of all-time FO guys in American sports is basically Jerry West and Branch Rickey. It's amazing that EVERY team he's had a hand in (either as GM, President, or advisor) immediately turns the corner. He built two separate dynasties with the Lakers, turned the Grizzlies into a half decent franchise, and then started working for the Warriors. 

On 12/22/2017 at 6:20 PM, The Ghost of Bob Starr said:

This is blasphemy. 

Tie / Elgin Baylor drafting Danny Manning and Buzzie Bavasi wowing to find to 8-7 pitchers.  

I personally like the Timberwolves drafting Anthony Bennett first overall a few years back, Trailblazers drafting LaRue Martin first overall in the early 70s, and Greg Oden being drafted first overall and only playing maybe one season cumulative tops.

11 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

I personally like the Timberwolves drafting Anthony Bennett first overall a few years back, Trailblazers drafting LaRue Martin first overall in the early 70s, and Greg Oden being drafted first overall and only playing maybe one season cumulative tops.

I think it was the Cavs that drafted Banner 1st