• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Baffled by the lack of activity

Dtwncbad

6 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Trout will not get $500 million, I doubt he gets $400 million.  

All these contracts are going to be brutal if and when the rest of the cord cutting happens.  

Thats what im kind of wondering. As technology allows more people to give up cable, whats going to be the end result in terms of sports broadcast deals? I have to imagine the vast majority of people who have cable dont even watch sports. 

Just now, ten ocho recon scout said:

Thats what im kind of wondering. As technology allows more people to give up cable, whats going to be the end result in terms of sports broadcast deals? I have to imagine the vast majority of people who have cable dont even watch sports. 

Yep, now I’m willing to pay a pretty penny to watch every game on TV.  But listening to some people here they just wouldn’t.  Also who knows the affects this would have on MLB.tv, if any.  

10 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Yep, now I’m willing to pay a pretty penny to watch every game on TV.  But listening to some people here they just wouldn’t.  Also who knows the affects this would have on MLB.tv, if any.  

The Angels would be better served just as every MLB team to sell direct streams of their games. Make the application/stream available for lets say 200$ a year vs paying a cable company 200$ a month and only receiving a portion of those proceeds for a bunch of other random shit. Right now you can do it through the MLB app but why not just do it directly through the team. Similar to how the Lakers do it.

6 minutes ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

The Angels would be better served just as every MLB team to sell direct streams of their games. Make the application/stream available for lets say 200$ a year vs paying a cable company 200$ a month and only receiving a portion of those proceeds for a bunch of other random shit. Right now you can do it through the MLB app but why not just do it directly through the team. Similar to how the Lakers do it.

The Angels currently get about $150 million a season from Fox Sports.  To get that money they’d have to sell 77,500 subscriptions.  It’s debatable on whether they can make that happen. 

2 hours ago, bloodbrother said:

Why would the Angels trade away a SP when their depth there has been tested the past 2 yrs due to tons of injuries? Can never have enough pitching. They already have Meyer and Nate Smith shelved for 2018. JC Ramirez tore his UCL but is trying to go the Richards route with regards to rehabbing it rather than having TJS. Shoemaker is coming off forearm surgery and Tropeano is coming back from TJS recovery. So many question marks and injury risks at SP for this team

Also, regarding Ohtani, he only pitched 25 innings last season. Gotta think he'll be on a IP limit in 2018

Just to be accurate: JC Ramirez didn’t tear his ligament anywhere near the extent that Richards did. My understanding is doctors looked at Richards and said he needed TJ, but on a second opinion decided to go with stem-cell. With JC, doctors never even suggested TJ. They went straight to stem-cell. 

12 minutes ago, Stradling said:

The Angels currently get about $150 million a season from Fox Sports.  To get that money they’d have to sell 77,500 subscriptions.  It’s debatable on whether they can make that happen. 

That would be a fairly easy in my opinion with marketing and incentives. Lets say, order the package and receive 50% off 1 family 4 pack. Double whammy get people in the door and get the games streamed service purchased.

6 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Just to be accurate: JC Ramirez didn’t tear his ligament anywhere near the extent that Richards did. My understanding is doctors looked at Richards and said he needed TJ, but on a second opinion decided to go with stem-cell. With JC, doctors never even suggested TJ. They went straight to stem-cell. 

As long as the healing exists that's a good sign, however when it comes to injuries like this...at the point of damage, even with said healing there exists a susceptibility to re tear. That spot is compromised and weaker than a non torn elbow. In my experience just having dealt with shoulder and elbow injuries players tend to modify their motion to avoid re-injury and ultimately end up hurting the other area. I personally did this while playing in college. My shoulder was destroyed so I threw differently and ultimately gave myself elbow problems. It was a vicious cycle for years until I gave up the ghost.

9 minutes ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

As long as the healing exists that's a good sign, however when it comes to injuries like this...at the point of damage, even with said healing there exists a susceptibility to re tear. That spot is compromised and weaker than a non torn elbow. In my experience just having dealt with shoulder and elbow injuries players tend to modify their motion to avoid re-injury and ultimately end up hurting the other area. I personally did this while playing in college. My shoulder was destroyed so I threw differently and ultimately gave myself elbow problems. It was a vicious cycle for years until I gave up the ghost.

100% agree! I did the same~

Ohtani was holding things up.  Up until this weekend, every team had a shot.  Now that it's down to 7 teams, there have already been some minor moves being made.  

It's still a cascade but also keep in mind that Boras has an even larger proportion of the high end free agents than usual.  

Hosmer, Arrieta, Martinez, Moustakas, etc., and he tends to slow roll the market.  

12 minutes ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

Sorry to hear that but that isn't the same as JC's situation. He had a strain/minor tear that was treated with stem cells, not available for elbow problems years ago and the results seem to show he has recovered. He is not working with a bad elbow that will require a change in his mechanics like you opted for with a bad shoulder that was never fully healed. 

4 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Sorry to hear that but that isn't the same as JC's situation. He had a strain/minor tear that was treated with stem cells, not available for elbow problems years ago and the results seem to show he has recovered. He is not working with a bad elbow that will require a change in his mechanics like you opted for with a bad shoulder that was never fully healed. 

Trust me I wish what existed today was available then. Things  may have worked out much differently for me. I was able to throw mid to upper 90's in high school as a 15/16 year old but had to be converted to catcher because of it. I went to Villa Park and actually played with Trumbo but my family couldn't afford the physical therapists or doctors to get things fixed properly so I had to either deal with it or give it up.

2 hours ago, eaterfan said:

MLB salaries have actually declined relative to revenue more than in the NBA or NFL. Owners are taking a bigger percentage of the money than ever before. 

People have trouble fathoming players making that much money. But I guess it's okay for the owners to.

When spreading out the payroll as evenly as possible, this is true.   What happens though when a player eventually signs for $500 million, and then mostly flops or at best does a Pujols improv?    That is a lot of money to absorb on one player, if he struggles.   Heck, even $300 million would be a lot.

As someone else said earlier in the thread, the future of MLB contracts may well be big pays for shorter terms (5-6 years instead of 8-10 years). 

57 minutes ago, Stradling said:

True, but hasn't it been a goal of Arte's for years to eventually utilize the internet to its' fullest.

14 minutes ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

Trust me I wish what existed today was available then. Things  may have worked out much differently for me. I was able to throw mid to upper 90's in high school as a 15/16 year old but had to be converted to catcher because of it. I went to Villa Park and actually played with Trumbo but my family couldn't afford the physical therapists or doctors to get things fixed properly so I had to either deal with it or give it up.

I hate to be so cynical but throwing in the "mid to upper" 90s as a 15/16 year old is pretty far fetched.  Thpse cases do exist but typically they are nationally known elite of the elite recruits who are already locked down with letters of intent to top 10 college baseball programs.

If you really were that one in a million kid, that's awesome.  But on its face, it is easier to question than to believe.

Not trying to be rude, just reporting back to you a natural reaction to the relationship between 15 yrs old and that velocity.

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

Trout will not get $500 million, I doubt he gets $400 million.  

All these contracts are going to be brutal if and when the rest of the cord cutting happens.  

You're in for a harsh wake-up call, I'm afraid. Trout won't sign until after Machado and Harper get the two biggest contracts in history. Trout gets at least $500MM...unless there is major collapse or change in the next year or so (If he's staying with the Angels, I think he extends next offseason after Machado/Harper...if he doesn't extend then, I think he wants to go elsewhere).

1 hour ago, Dtwncbad said:

I hate to be so cynical but throwing in the "mid to upper" 90s as a 15/16 year old is pretty far fetched.  Thpse cases do exist but typically they are nationally known elite of the elite recruits who are already locked down with letters of intent to top 10 college baseball programs.

If you really were that one in a million kid, that's awesome.  But on its face, it is easier to question than to believe.

Not trying to be rude, just reporting back to you a natural reaction to the relationship between 15 yrs old and that velocity.

I really don't have a reason to lie about what I did my sophomore year of high school. I went to a school with several highly scouted players, I wasn't one of them as I wasn't a pitcher because of my durability. I wont sit and play the let me prove it game but in all reality if I had tape on it I'd post it. I was a "poor" kid at a rich persons school. Several of my friends went on to get drafted and play in the minors/majors, I wasn't so lucky because of my injuries. I walked on to CSUF 2 years later after rehabbing and gave it up before I could ever finish my try out.

Everyone says baseball will die with big contracts, but they were saying that back when players started making $1m per year.

The reality is the owners are still making massive amounts of money even with the high salaries, and we never see teams go out of business.

So when people project big hikes to brand new levels of income for players like Harper and Trout at 400 or 500 million. . .I always default to the owner can pay tgem whatever he wants and who am I to say if it is too much?

It's their business, their money, their personal wealth.  And I dont see anyone going broke owning a team.  I see them make hundreds of millions of dollars themselves when they sell.

In Arte's case, his net gain when he sells will be literally billions.

5 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

Everyone says baseball will die with big contracts, but they were saying that back when players started making $1m per year.

The reality is the owners are still making massive amounts of money even with the high salaries, and we never see teams go out of business.

So when people project big hikes to brand new levels of income for players like Harper and Trout at 400 or 500 million. . .I always default to the owner can pay tgem whatever he wants and who am I to say if it is too much?

It's their business, their money, their personal wealth.  And I dont see anyone going broke owning a team.  I see them make hundreds of millions of dollars themselves when they sell.

In Arte's case, his net gain when he sells will be literally billions.

I wouldn't say its the amount that the team can afford to pay, its trying to fit those figures into a "salary cap". I'd almost be more interested in the league changing it to basketball style cap where you can only max out at a % of the cap rather than an inflated number based on free agency.

4 minutes ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

I really don't have a reason to lie about what I did my sophomore year of high school. I went to a school with several highly scouted players, I wasn't one of them as I wasn't a pitcher because of my durability. I wont sit and play the let me prove it game but in all reality if I had tape on it I'd post it. I was a "poor" kid at a rich persons school. Several of my friends went on to get drafted and play in the minors/majors, I wasn't so lucky because of my injuries. I walked on to CSUF 2 years later after rehabbing and gave it up before I could ever finish my try out.

So you were a pitcher that threw in the upper 90s or you were not a pitcher?

Seemed like your initial post suggested you were a pitcher that threw that hard and then got hurt.

My point was a pitcher at 15/16 throwing that hard very likely would be recruited even at that age, poor or not.

And there would be a mess of local newspaper articles about throwing that hard at that age.

Look I was terrible.  I played JV one year and that's as far as I got.  So I have no ax to grind.

I am only telling you a NORMAL reaction to what you wrote is my feedback here. . 

If you really threw 95-98ish as a 15/16 yr old and nobody recruited you at that age and nobody was writing local newspaper articles about it, then that is extremely peculiar.

8 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

So you were a pitcher that threw in the upper 90s or you were not a pitcher?

Seemed like your initial post suggested you were a pitcher that threw that hard and then got hurt.

My point was a pitcher at 15/16 throwing that hard very likely would be recruited even at that age, poor or not.

And there would be a mess of local newspaper articles about throwing that hard at that age.

Look I was terrible.  I played JV one year and that's as far as I got.  So I have no ax to grind.

I am only telling you a NORMAL reaction to what you wrote is my feedback here. . 

If you really threw 95-98ish as a 15/16 yr old and nobody recruited you at that age and nobody was writing local newspaper articles about it, then that is extremely peculiar.

I pitched my entire life until I couldn't anymore at which point I was converted to play catcher. I had 6 cortisone shots during my sophomore/junior year to alleviate pain in my shoulder which as we know today is retarded for anyone let alone a 16 year old. I understand the not seeing it or believing it as the internet is filled with many supposed superstars. I'm not claiming to be that. I had a small article about me pre highschool because I threw a no hitter in LLWS qualifiers. I could do one thing growing up and that was throw the ball and throw it hard. I'm sure if stretched out properly I could throw an 85+ now I actually did it a few years ago when I visited cooperstown lol.