• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Dipoto blew it with Jean Segura

No, you can't rip off every team you trade with.

I think if the Dodgers hadn't swooped in with their crazy-ass offer, Greinke probably would have been comfortable here at 5/$125, which I think Arte and Jerry would have ponied up.

Segura has a (probably) unsustainable .360 BABIP. He won't be hitting at this pace the entire year (though I hope so for my fantasy team's sake).

Pena & Hellweg will most likely be relievers if they make it to the Show.

This was a trade that wouldn't have happened with anybody else but Segura in the mix. We needed a starting pitcher if we wanted to A) Get to the playoffs; and 2) Advance once there. Greinke was, BY FAR, the best SP on the market, ergo, I make that trade 100 out of 100 times.

No, you can't rip off every team you trade with.

I think if the Dodgers hadn't swooped in with their crazy-ass offer, Greinke probably would have been comfortable here at 5/$125, which I think Arte and Jerry would have ponied up.

Segura has a (probably) unsustainable .360 BABIP. He won't be hitting at his pace the entire year (though I hope so for my fantasy team's sake).

Pena & Hellweg will most likely be relievers if they make it to the Show.

This was a trade that wouldn't have happened with anybody else but Segura in the mix. We needed a starting pitcher if we wanted to A) Get to the playoffs; and 2) Advance once there. Greinke was, BY FAR, the best SP on the market, ergo, I make that trade 100 out of 100 times.

Yep. 5/$125 was almsot certainly earmarked for Greinke. When the Dogders got their hands on a money printing press, Arte panicked and instead of standing pat, gave that money over to Josh Hamilton.

Too early for what? To make a final judgment on Dipoto as a general manager? I agree. To say that his work so far has yielded poor results? I disagree. All I'm saying is that it is concerning that the results have been so poor so far. Do you disagree with that?

So AZMike, you're saying that Josh Hamilton was Vernon Wells part 2 - a knee-jerk panic reaction to try to save face, that ended up making matters worse. If that's really the case, and if came from Arte in both cases, then he needs to study one word: Hubris. Learn your lesson, Arte.

ESPN's Brian Gramling said this on March 7th, 2012

Expect Greinke's name to be bandied about come June as the most highly coveted two-month rental. No matter what happens this year, the 28-year-old should be able to rake in a ton of cash when he becomes a free agent after this season.

So AZMike, you're saying that Josh Hamilton was Vernon Wells part 2 - a knee-jerk panic reaction to try to save face, that ended up making matters worse. If that's really the case, and if came from Arte in both cases, then he needs to study one word: Hubris. Learn your lesson, Arte.

I watched the Josh Hamitlon press conference and at the time Dipoto actually seemed surprised as if he wasn't even expecting the deal to happen. Hamilton talked about how he took a call from the club president (shortly after the Greinke signing happeend) and met with the President John Carpino and that Hamilton signed shortly thereafter. Dipoto never met with Hamilton personally.

While Dipoto was likely involved, I believe the signing was at least highly pressured by Moreno himself.

YOT is the kind of guy who proclaims Lasorda a genius for bringing up Kurt Gibson to face Eckersley. If, however, Gibson struck out, he would say, "WTF!!!! He's a crippled man facing a HOF pitcher. What a stupid move! Get rid of Lasorda."

You truly haven't followed me over the years. I like to focus on the process how the decision was made.

Dipoto met with Josh and his agent at the winter meetings, before the Moreno /Carpino meeting where the formal offer was made. That personal touch from the executives meant a lot to Josh. Saying that Dipoto looked surprised that the deal got done while at the press conference is laughable. 

You truly haven't followed me over the years. I like to focus on the process how the decision was made.

Ok here is the process, The Angels needed a starter for the stretch run with the goal of making it to the playoffs. The Angels traded from a position of strength by trading a minor league SS when both of the major league middle infielders are sign long term.

I've never been an Aybar fan so I had always hoped we'd see him leave at some point and Segura would get a chance.  That was all made moot by the 4 year deal that Aybar signed leaving no definite path for Jean to the MLB.  Angels needed a SP and traded from a position of which they believed they had a surplus.  Not every deal is going to be lopsided in favor of the Angels.  I didn't like the trade at the time but I understood the thought process.  You have to give to get.  I remember when people here would get swoony over Amarista and to me he just seemed like Almezega 2.0 which him and his lifetime .227/265/.628 has essentially supported

Kendrick was the one they should have focused on trading to make room for Segura, instead of Aybar ad previously mentioned.

Unlike swing at everything Kendrick, Segura has some plate discipline.

Yes, Kendrick is having a solid hitting start. But his batting style will not be conducive to being consistent enough. And, Segura has it all over him in SB potential.

I don't think a trade can be judged entirely at the time it is made. You do have to look a few years down the line. In the case of the greinke trade, it could go down as a colossal mistake, and dipoto probably deserves criticism for it.

Why would anyone need to look a few years down the line in this particular case to determine the results? Grieinke isn't in an Angel's uniform any longer. 

Hellweg is currently 1-4 with a 4.41 ERA and 25 walks in 32.2 innings in AAA

Pena similarly has 22 walks in 31 innings. We didn't lose much by giving up either of those guys. Regarding Segura, let's not forget that he hit .264 with no homers over approximately the same number of AB's last year as he has so far this year, so it's way too early to draw any sort of conclusion on his future in the majors. When we traded him he was a typical slappy middle infielder.