• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Dipoto blew it with Jean Segura

"first, yes everyone knew that Grienke's price was going to be high. The Angels were hoping Grienke would put them over the top and get them to the playoffs and it damn near worked. If it had, I'm sure they figured it would be easier for them to negotiate with Grienke in order to keep him"

Seriously? What a profoundly ignorant statement, even from you. Dude was chasing the top dollar. That was well understand in the industry. Unless winning the WS rationalized topping the Dodgers bid Greinke was leaving. I expect better from you than this.

"you have zero substantiation for these assertions."

Wrong.

It was an ownership decision to not chase high dollar Latin prospects in the last CBA. It was an ownership decision to respect Selig's slot money system in the Rule 4 draft. Any competent GM would have ignored these guidelines unless prevented by ownership.

Texas ownership supported Josh Daniels' decision to ignore Selig's guidelines and spent a ton of money under the old CBA on prospects. They now have a phenomenal farm system and are well set up for continued long term success.

Thanks Arte...

ROFLMAO dude. That was a fact YOT. The Dodgers made an offer that was far in excess of what people expected Grienke's price tag to be. I agree, everyone he would be expensive including the Angels. But when the Dodgers came along with their offer, they drove the price beyond reason and expectation. 

"you have zero substantiation for these assertions."

Wrong.

It was an ownership decision to not chase high dollar Latin prospects in the last CBA. It was an ownership decision to respect Selig's slot money system in the Rule 4 draft. Any competent GM would have ignored these guidelines unless prevented by ownership.

Texas ownership supported Josh Daniels' decision to ignore Selig's guidelines and spent a ton of money under the old CBA on prospects. They now have a phenomenal farm system and are well set up for continued long term success.

Thanks Arte...

Really YOT? Care to substantiate those assertions? You assume that because you have the opinion that any competent GM would have..... that it therefore must have been an owner decision overriding the advice of said competent GM. That's some loose logic your applying there.  I expect better from you YOT.

ROFLMAO dude. That was a fact YOT. The Dodgers made an offer that was far in excess of what people expected Grienke's price tag to be. I agree, everyone he would be expensive including the Angels. But when the Dodgers came along with their offer, they drove the price beyond reason and expectation.

Seriously? Really? C'mon, you are better than that!

After the Crawford/Gonzalez/Beckett/Punto deal the industry knew $$ was seemingly not an object to get their target. The Dodgers were going to offer what it took to get Greinke. To top the Dodgers for their target was to chase crazy.

Really YOT? Care to substantiate those assertions? You assume that because you have the opinion that any competent GM would have..... that it therefore must have been an owner decision overriding the advice of said competent GM. That's some loose logic your applying there. I expect better from you YOT.

I'm on my phone. I'll relay supporting evidence I've read later. My logic is not loose and quite sound, thank you very much :-)

Those on the "Arte-is-the-problem" binge, do you actually have anything to support the belief that he's one of the more trifling owners in baseball?  Or is this just another typical aw.com "psychic poster" ass-pull that's is built on a foundation of biased assumptions and leaped conclusions?

yes seriously, really. 

He got the largest deal ever offered a RHP and it was much more than anticipated prior to the off season. Only after the off season started did speculation of an exorbitant price tag start rolling through the ranks - after the agent starting having conversations with GM's in November and December. Before that, expectations were in the 5yr/$125M range

Fair point Mulwin. When I have time this weekend, and next to a CPU, I'll present the supporting evidence and whatever reputable sources I can find.

Don't get me, YOT, you may be 100% but this is the same board that can look at a Scioscia's stoic visage on TV and start declaring "he's arrogant, stubborn, etc" with the confidence of an FBI profiler...

Don't get me, YOT, you may be 100% but this is the same board that can look at a Scioscia's stoic visage on TV and start declaring "he's arrogant, stubborn, etc" with the confidence of an FBI profiler...

And when the Angels are winning, stoic is viewed as "calm, cool and collected".

To be fair, I loved the Hamilton signing when it happened. I did not like the Boohols deal and really didn't like the Greinke trade.

Wasn't really in favor of any of those deals.  Didn't hate them but didn't think they were great value either,  Would have preferred Fielder to Pujols (younger and "cheaper"), would have preferred to keep Segura unless they went balls-out to sign Greinke, and Hamilton just seemed like too much of a gamble for the money.  However, if Arte is willing to shell it out, so be it. 

Rotoworld: " The talented 23-year-old shortstop is now batting .352/.396/.578 in 139 plate appearances this season, and he's on pace for 29 homers and 43 steals. Those are some outrageous numbers."

must be nice hitting in front of ryan braun, and hitting in a home ball park that makes coors field look like safeco.  he wouldn't be doing that well in anaheim.

i cant believe you guys think he is for real........its 1 month, he's hitting like he was the #1 prospect last year, and he wasnt.   He was like in the 60's, hes not this good - just having a good start.

YOT, my recollection of the "free agent mindset" of Greinke was he would go to a team that paid him well but wasn't in too big of a market, due to his social anxiety issue, somewhere he felt comfortable. I guess I could be wrong but I thought that was the general opinion.

YOT, my recollection of the "free agent mindset" of Greinke was he would go to a team that paid him well but wasn't in too big of a market, due to his social anxiety issue, somewhere he felt comfortable. I guess I could be wrong but I thought that was the general opinion.

I always understood the "too big a market" comment to mean "not BOS, PHI, or NYY". Neither LA nor Dallas-FtWorth Metro areas are small markets.

YOT is the kind of guy who proclaims Lasorda a genius for bringing up Kurt Gibson to face Eckersley.  If, however, Gibson struck out, he would say, "WTF!!!!  He's a crippled man facing a HOF pitcher.  What a stupid move!  Get rid of Lasorda."