• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2017-2018 Hot Stove Thread

greginpsca

1 hour ago, Chuckster70 said:

The more I look at our roster the more I'm comfortable with who we have going into the season. 

Just keep everyone healthy and no moves need to be made. 

I think the bullpen needs another arm or two, but other than that, the team looks good.

I'd be shocked if the Angels finished below .500. That would signal something seriously wrong either in the clubhouse or training staff IMO.

Also, as much as it pains me to say it, the  Red Sox and Yankees are both winning over 90 games this year. They'll destroy Baltimore, Tampa, and Toronto, and then split the games with each other

Just now, GrittyVeterans said:

I'd be shocked if the Angels finished below .500. That would signal something seriously wrong either in the clubhouse or training staff IMO.

Also, as much as it pains me to say it, the  Red Sox and Yankees are both winning over 90 games this year 

You're probably right, but I think the Yanks will be closer to 90 than 100.

28 minutes ago, GrittyVeterans said:

Also, as much as it pains me to say it, the  Red Sox and Yankees are both winning over 90 games this year. They'll destroy Baltimore, Tampa, and Toronto, and then split the games with each other

I think that they’re just not sold on the reliability of our starting pitching, bullpen or the overall age of our starting lineup. 

Just now, Inside Pitch said:

Those pecota projections came out before they traded off Ordodizzi and released Dickerson.

Even so, you're going to tell me that having Upton, Ohtani, Cozart and Kinsler wont equate to more wins than Odorizzi and Dickerson...that's just asanine. Lets be retarded and hypothetically say that Dickerson and Cozart cancel out and Odorizzi and Ohtani cancel eachother out. Who the hell on their team is better than Upton and Kinsler?

14 minutes ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

Even so, you're going to tell me that having Upton, Ohtani, Cozart and Kinsler wont equate to more wins than Odorizzi and Dickerson...that's just asanine. Lets be retarded and hypothetically say that Dickerson and Cozart cancel out and Odorizzi and Ohtani cancel eachother out. Who the hell on their team is better than Upton and Kinsler?

No, not telling you anything about the Angels, I was pointing out the Rays situation....

There was a thread on this when they first came out.... Projection systems are based on historical data...  So, they aren't looking at the Angels players specifically as much as they try to find similar players of the same age and try to formulate future outcomes...  Guys coming off injuries, younger players, and older players, those types will always show the greatest amount of volatility...  So, when you look at these remind yourself they don't likely have a comp for Ohtani, and that their comps for Richards and Skaggs are likely not at all that similar to them. Given APs foot issues he may be someone the comps might be off on also

It's not a lack of respect or anything ... Just an algorithm spitting out numbers.

1 hour ago, Inside Pitch said:

No, not telling you anything about the Angels, I was pointing out the Rays situation....

There was a thread on this when they first came out.... Projection systems are based on historical data...  So, they aren't looking at the Angels players specifically as much as they try to find similar players of the same age and try to formulate future outcomes...  Guys coming off injuries, younger players, and older players, those types will always show the greatest amount of volatility...  So, when you look at these remind yourself they don't likely have a comp for Ohtani, and that their comps for Richards and Skaggs are likely not at all that similar to them. Given APs foot issues he may be someone the comps might be off on also

It's not a lack of respect or anything ... Just an algorithm spitting out numbers.

Gotcha...I'd still be hesitant to post anything like that given common sense. That's their bad.

Not sure if this has been discussed at all, but what about signing Neil Walker for our last bench spot?

At this point he'd probably take a 1 year deal for 5M-10M. He has primarily played 2B in his career, but played a little bit at 3rd and 1st last season. Kinsler is going into his age 36 season so a DL stint should be expected at some point. Cozart also doesn't have the most healthy background so Walker could fill Valbuena's role in the scenario where Valbuena played 3rd while Cozart was on the DL. This is potentially someone that could play 100 games this year so it'd be better to have someone that has had success in the major leagues and not someone like Fontana/Cowart. Obviously there won't be a platoon, but Kinsler struggled against RHP's last year (.680 OPS) while Walker was good (.842 OPS). So maybe against tough righties Walker would allow the Angels to give Kinsler the day off. It also gives us insurance if Pujols has an extended DL trip and/or Valbuena struggles out of the gate again.

C Maldonado 1B Pujols 2B Kinsler 3B Cozart SS Simmons LF Upton CF Trout RF Calhoun DH Ohtani/Valbuena

OF Young 2B/1B Walker 3B/1B Valbuena

I think we can win around 88- 90 games depending on our pitching rotation's health. But i do believe is that the wildcard this time around will not have 7-8 teams fighting for it.  If Stroman is healthy the blue jays are going to be better, I have to give the Edge to the Twins just because they are playing in the weakest division, than i just have this gut feeling that its one of those years for the A's. 

About those projections: 

The Angels were 80-82 last season and that was with Trout being on the DL for a month and the entire 1-5 of the real starting rotation being on the DL for over two months (some more) at the same time.  Now you add Upton for a full season, a full season of Trout, a healthy starting rotation, Ohtani, improved 2B and 3B and you are predicting no change in record?  How does that make sense at all?

Not to mention, just not having Chavez and Nolasco pitching every 5 games is a H-U-G-E upgrade alone.

25 minutes ago, VariousCrap said:

About those projections: 

The Angels were 80-82 last season and that was with Trout being on the DL for a month and the entire 1-5 of the real starting rotation being on the DL for over two months (some more) at the same time.  Now you add Upton for a full season, a full season of Trout, a healthy starting rotation, Ohtani, improved 2B and 3B and you are predicting no change in record?  How does that make sense at all?

Not to mention, just not having Chavez and Nolasco pitching every 5 games is a H-U-G-E upgrade alone.

EXACTLY!!!!! Texas hasn't improved, Oakland hasn't improved, Seattle is a dumpster fire and Houston is a monster...yet we finish exactly the same as last year with the moves we've made?

39 minutes ago, VariousCrap said:

About those projections: 

To me, the only explanation here is that they think the Angels got really lucky last year, and have a lot of players (esp. bridwell, their relief, simmons, that kind of player) due to regress.

1 hour ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

EXACTLY!!!!! Texas hasn't improved, Oakland hasn't improved, Seattle is a dumpster fire and Houston is a monster...yet we finish exactly the same as last year with the moves we've made?

I think Oakland will be improved. All they had to do to improve is allow some of their really young players get a year's more experience. Oakland is the sleeper in the AL West. Not saying they will win it, of course. Their defense will have to improve.  But I think they will be around .500 and could be better than Texas.