• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2017-2018 Hot Stove Thread

greginpsca

23 hours ago, VariousCrap said:

When talking about SP's for the Angels, I'd say stay away from Darvish and Arrieta and look at Cobb or Lynn.  I still think either one of those guys makes more sense money wise for the Angels.

Cobb, Lynn and Arrieta all received QOs, so we'd lose a draft pick. I agree that they make sense money wise -- and the QO being attached will probably only serve to make them more affordable. But the question becomes whether we want to sacrifice a pick. I think that's why we are hearing about Yu the most. I bet he'll be the first SP to sign.

4 minutes ago, Turd Ferguson said:

Cobb, Lynn and Arrieta all received QOs, so we'd lose a draft pick. I agree that they make sense money wise -- and the QO being attached will probably only serve to make them more affordable. But the question becomes whether we want to sacrifice a pick. I think that's why we are hearing about Yu the most. I bet he'll be the first SP to sign.

On the other hand, Ohtani, Maitan, and Soto were like bonus draft picks.

Angels may be settling with a lot of players today to avoid arbitration. Here's the projections, via MLB Trade Rumors.

Martin Maldonado (5.156) – $2.8MM
Garrett Richards (5.148) – $7.0MM
Blake Wood (5.131) – $2.2MM (Angels settled at $1.45m, per Fletcher 12/1)
Matt Shoemaker (3.166) – $4.4MM
Tyler Skaggs (3.135) – $1.9MM
Blake Parker (3.036) – $1.7MM
Jose Alvarez (3.035) – $1.1MM
C.J. Cron (3.097) – $2.8MM
Cam Bedrosian (2.153) – $1.2MM
Andrew Heaney (2.150) – $800K (Angels settled at $800k plus award bonuses, per Heyman 1/9)
J.C. Ramirez (2.139) – $2.6MM

16 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Angels may be settling with a lot of players today to avoid arbitration. Here's the projections, via MLB Trade Rumors.

Martin Maldonado (5.156) – $2.8MM
Garrett Richards (5.148) – $7.0MM
Blake Wood (5.131) – $2.2MM
Matt Shoemaker (3.166) – $4.4MM
Tyler Skaggs (3.135) – $1.9MM
Blake Parker (3.036) – $1.7MM
Jose Alvarez (3.035) – $1.1MM
C.J. Cron (3.097) – $2.8MM
Cam Bedrosian (2.153) – $1.2MM
Andrew Heaney (2.150) – $800K (Angels settled at $800k plus award bonuses, per Heyman 1/9)
J.C. Ramirez (2.139) – $2.6MM

Garrett Richards has to be disappointed at his misfortune. Weaver was inking a 5/$85M at age 28. 

3 minutes ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

Bad luck. Not the teams fault and not his fault. There's talent all over the league in the same boat.

Yeah it’s tough. Richards has frontline Ace 98 mph stuff but knows that he’ll never see that big six figure contract because of his injuries. Hopefully he can string together some healthy seasons. 

Props to Matt Garza -- dude got his yearly injury out of the way early this year, thus saving some team from spending money on him...

Via MLBTradeRumors.com

Free agent righty Matt Garza is set to undergo surgery for a torn right shoulder labrum, according to MLB.com’s Adam McCalvy. It seems the injury was sustained in a mid-season collision that knocked Garza out of commission for a time but did not end his season.

4 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Props to Matt Garza -- dude got his yearly injury out of the way early this year, thus saving some team from spending money on him...

Via MLBTradeRumors.com

Free agent righty Matt Garza is set to undergo surgery for a torn right shoulder labrum, according to MLB.com’s Adam McCalvy. It seems the injury was sustained in a mid-season collision that knocked Garza out of commission for a time but did not end his season.

Matt Garza suffered a 3rd degree eye strain reading this comment, the MLB has put him on the DL for 6 years.

8 hours ago, Turd Ferguson said:

Personally, I think Cobb is worth losing a second round pick for, but I understand your point.  

18 hours ago, totdprods said:

On the other hand, Ohtani, Maitan, and Soto were like bonus draft picks.

Oh, I agree -- I wasn't offering an opinion one way or the other. That's just a factor to consider with those 3. One the one hand, I agree that those pick ups were like bonus picks; on the other hand, do we want to halt some of that momentum we've built on the minor league front? I guess, more importantly, is an Arrieta, Cobb, or Lynn worth sacrificing a pick for?

Cobb and Lynn make sense in a lot of ways -- for the right price. Cobb was 15 in ground ball outs last season; Lynn 27 (https://www.teamrankings.com/mlb/player-stat/ground-ball-outs). I think that would play well in front of this defense. Personally, given the injury history of this staff and having no one I can really see realstically going 180+ innings, I think adding another starter makes sense. We'll see...