• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Fcking Dipoto

m0nkey

4 hours ago, Dtwncbad said:

There is some truth in the criticism of Dipoto.

But there is also some truth in this:  when you have no high impact prospects, and you think you need a few bodies to compete now, then you don't hesitate to move the marginal minor leaguers for OK major leaguers or role players.

If you then don't win, you get crushed by people saying you wrecked the farm or didn't build the farm and also didn't win.

But the reality is the farm was bad and the big club wasn't a winner either way.

I am not a Dipoto "fan" but I just see his situation with the Angels (and also with Seattle) as a stuck in the middle, no win situation.

Good argument until you see how Dipoto drafted or used his international signing allocations.

He traded away prospects that had greater value than any of his drafted replacement players or internationally signed players.

i defended him until it became indefensible. 

just another in a long line of mariners failures at GM. and our "new" front office/ownership group is no different from nintendo. they're making their millions with the media deal in place, and fuck m's fans. 

5 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

It's not like he was a schleb either..  Taylor's career line in AAA is .313/.392/.464 over 1100+ PAs...   No idea if he's using, but his being a hitter isn't a real shock --  he put up an 894 OPS as  23 year old in his first taste of AAA and essentially kept his line within the same range from that point on.

Kershaw last night after the game said he thought Taylor would be valuable as a utility man but NEVER thought he'd have this much pop.  We probably don't need to dive in to why his OPS in AAA might not be reliable.

1 hour ago, TroutBaseball said:

Kershaw last night after the game said he thought Taylor would be valuable as a utility man but NEVER thought he'd have this much pop.  We probably don't need to dive in to why his OPS in AAA might not be reliable.

There were predictive stats beyond the rates that all pointed towards him being a quality hitter.  I think everyone is surprises his power has played so well but, he wasn't a Punch and Judy hitter by any stretch and power is the last tool to develop -- always has been..   More importantly, it's just as much about the guy JD wanted to get as it is the guy he gave up.   Whatever you may have thought of Taylor's AAA numbers, he was a more valuable piece than the lump of goo that Zach Lee had turned into -- particularly given they didn't keep him. 

You also may attribute Taylor's power numbers in the minors as a product of coaching. Sometimes coaches direct a player to work on other skills which would leave power hitting out of the equation if what they wanted was more plate discipline.

.392 obp says he had a pretty good grasp of how to get on base. The .312 average points to good contact skills which probably melded well with going deep into counts but once there his focused was gaps not fences.

A different organization sees all of this and says turn it loose early in the count more often and here you have Taylor. A guy who had the skills but never utilized that part of his abilities to the fullest, following his coaches direction.

5 hours ago, GOPSnowflakesHateCezero said:

i defended him until it became indefensible. 

just another in a long line of mariners failures at GM. and our "new" front office/ownership group is no different from nintendo. they're making their millions with the media deal in place, and fuck m's fans. 

You wanted what we had wanted ... for his work to match up with his talk.    We were there, we feel your pain -- Jerry said all the right things here too...  For all his faults, he is a very convincing speaker it's likely his greatest asset as a GM.

1 hour ago, Blarg said:

You also may attribute Taylor's power numbers in the minors as a product of coaching. Sometimes coaches direct a player to work on other skills which would leave power hitting out of the equation if what they wanted was more plate discipline.

.392 obp says he had a pretty good grasp of how to get on base. The .312 average points to good contact skills which probably melded well with going deep into counts but once there his focused was gaps not fences.

A different organization sees all of this and says turn it loose early in the count more often and here you have Taylor. A guy who had the skills but never utilized that part of his abilities to the fullest, following his coaches direction.

I don't want to sling mud at the M's because -- we have had our issues here.  But they have long been a franchise that caught a lot of praise for their drafts and the talent they where able to bring in but they were gawd awful at developing those players into MLB quality players -- in many ways they were our exact opposite, we tended to flub a lot of draft picks but the Angels were a pretty consistent producer of MLB talent...   You're likely right in believing the Dodgers saw something and are now reaping the benefits.

11 hours ago, Dtwncbad said:

I know one player in the bigs right now from Southern California that has not much of a relationship left with his old with school player friends because he yoked up on roids and other PED from his senior year in HS until he reached the majors.  They all know it and find it lame.  The player has this condescending defensive attitude towards his old teammates in denial that his success is tied to PED.  Nobody likes people in denial that are rude about it.

We all want PED put of the game and it isn't the hottest subject right now but it is prevalent.

Its definetely still out there. Still no test for H, as far as i know.

When you go to spring training, look for the guys that have juiced dudes in their posse....those are the test rabbits....

3 hours ago, Scioscia4MVP said:

Wow he passed on Vlad Jr......OMG. Baldoquin was considered a terrible signing at the time & lived up to his potential of sucking terribly.

He didn't outright pass on him, but in throwing the money he did at Baldo, he locked the Angels out of the next two signing periods.    Best of all.  Vlad Jr ended up signing for less than did Baldo...

23 hours ago, calscuf said:

But I thought we all called him JeDi???

He went to our party!

He did and he was awesome, every time. 

Dipoto's the white Obama. Great lip service, eloquent in speech & a great personality. He mesmerized & energized everyone, but came up short when it came to delivering success. 

13 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

He didn't outright pass on him, but in throwing the money he did at Baldo, he locked the Angels out of the next two signing periods.    Best of all.  Vlad Jr ended up signing for less than did Baldo...

Now this I didn't know. I thought Vlad Jr. was more $$$. Wow.

3 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Now this I didn't know. I thought Vlad Jr. was more $$$. Wow.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/134054452/vladimir-guerrero-jr-signs-with-blue-jays/ 

3.9 mil..     Let that sink in..    4.1 million less than Baldo -- plus the 8 mil penalty..

Even worse.   read this...  "Since I've been doing this I haven't seen a kid with this power. He has pitch recognition for his age and this kid has been playing ball all of his life. This kid is not about the money -- he has a lot of money -- he plays because he likes it."

4 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/134054452/vladimir-guerrero-jr-signs-with-blue-jays/ 

3.9 mil..     Let that sink in..    4.1 million less than Baldo -- plus the 8 mil penalty..

Even worse.   read this...  "Since I've been doing this I haven't seen a kid with this power. He has pitch recognition for his age and this kid has been playing ball all of his life. This kid is not about the money -- he has a lot of money -- he plays because he likes it."

Please don't tell me that quote is from Dipoto. 

Please...

10 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

You wanted what we had wanted ... for his work to match up with his talk.    We were there, we feel your pain -- Jerry said all the right things here too...  For all his faults, he is a very convincing speaker it's likely his greatest asset as a GM.

Never seen at the same place at the same time.

sham-wow-vince-shlomi.jpg

dipoto-jerry-07012015-us-news-getty-ftr_

10 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

I don't want to sling mud at the M's because -- we have had our issues here.  But they have long been a franchise that caught a lot of praise for their drafts and the talent they where able to bring in but they were gawd awful at developing those players into MLB quality players -- in many ways they were our exact opposite, we tended to flub a lot of draft picks but the Angels were a pretty consistent producer of MLB talent...   You're likely right in believing the Dodgers saw something and are now reaping the benefits.

Not slinging mud at the M's but Seattle is a pitchers park and until they moved the walls in an extreme pitchers park. If you've got a kid that can spray the ball around and get on base, why push power in a power vacuum home stadium? I think Taylor was being groomed for the home park but when the Dodgers picked him up they went with the bigger picture of 162 instead of 81 games. 

11 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

I don't want to sling mud at the M's because -- we have had our issues here.  But they have long been a franchise that caught a lot of praise for their drafts and the talent they where able to bring in but they were gawd awful at developing those players into MLB quality players

correct

taylor received terrible instruction from Z's jolly crew who couldn't develop "jack" shit other than Seager for half a decade and more.  the dodgers changed taylor's approach and swing the instant he arrived, and the results have a lot to do with actual professionals working in their org. 

as for dipoto, i though for sure the past 18 months of trades were the first step in a real rebuilding process, but the stupid POS traded away EVERYTHING decent he had built up for a bunch of garbage in a desperation stab at the playoffs this year.  it figuratively killed me.

we're doomed for at least another decade because there's been no sign that the new moron owners have any idea how to build a team more than nintendo did. whatever, it reaffirms my decision to cut the cord since m's games were pretty much the only reason i kept it. 

From what I understand, Chris Taylor changed his swing to purposefully hit more fly balls.  Something similar to what the dogs had Turner do.  

I would imagine they target guys with good bat speed or exit velo that have tended to hit more grounders or line drives.   

At the end of the day, the player has to execute the new swing so it obviously doesn't always work out.  

BTW, Rich Hill was in our org 2014.  

3 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

From what I understand, Chris Taylor changed his swing to purposefully hit more fly balls.  Something similar to what the dogs had Turner do.  

I would imagine they target guys with good bat speed or exit velo that have tended to hit more grounders or line drives.   

At the end of the day, the player has to execute the new swing so it obviously doesn't always work out.  

BTW, Rich Hill was in our org 2014.  

Baseball reference posts his ERA with the Angels as INF for infinite.