• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

MLBTradeRumors: Angels Offseason Outlook

totdprods

2 hours ago, jsnpritchett said:

Well, why would Skaggs value be anything other than low at this point?  He's an injury-prone 26-year old who's never come close to living up to his hype when he's actually been healthy enough to pitch.  Could he still live up to his early potential?  Maybe, but it seems like a complete crapshoot at this point.  Hernandez isn't going to carry a team, but he's turned into a good complementary piece, and I'm starting to come around to liking him more than I originally did.  He's only a year older than Skaggs, and they're both controllable for the same amount of time.

I have no idea if either team is actually all that interested in these two specific players, but it seems like a pretty good deal overall--and you could easily make the argument that the Angels would be getting the more valuable piece if such a trade happened.

This makes him the exact kind of player Eppler would target as a cheap pickup, right?

5 hours ago, Hubs said:

Re up with Upton. Resign Yusmiero petit.

Sign David Hernandez and Jake McGee

Sign Mike Moustakas

Sign Zach Cozart

Sign Tyler Chatwood

Win 2018 World Series

I think Moustakas isn't going to be worth the $$$ he's going to get.  I wouldn't be mad if the Angels got him though. 

Cozart is an interesting choice.  Would he be able 3B or 2B?

19 hours ago, IEAngelsfan said:

I'm hoping that this is something the writer just made up and not even remotely true.

"It could be that the Angels are okay with their current options and simply want a veteran to purely eat innings, which opens their search to any number of free agent arms available on short-term contracts.  To this end, the team could look for a reunion with Jesse Chavez or Ricky Nolasco, though in Nolasco’s case, the Angels would decline their $13MM club option on his services and pursue a lesser deal."

This is sort of an inference off something Eppler said. 

He said they aren't likely to spend big on marquee starters - or he sort of implied it - because he feels their more pressing need is offense. 

But I don't think that means he wants another Nolasco. I think that means he wants another Bridwell or JC Ramirez or Alex Meyer. 

Either way, they aren't signing Arrieta, or even Lynn.

20 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

He said they aren't likely to spend big on marquee starters - or he sort of implied it - because he feels their more pressing need is offense. 

But I don't think that means he wants another Nolasco. I think that means he wants another Bridwell or JC Ramirez or Alex Meyer. 

You didn't say Darvish.

1 hour ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Good used pitchers are on aisle 9

E1DF0F17-6D53-496D-A6AC-A46EA1F90872.jpeg

18 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Narratives. 

It’s not that Strad. Sometimes you just have to roll with it. The league needs to implement a salary cap to level the playing field. Take Upton for instance, he says he wants to win so he’s made his wishes very clear. Take Otani, he will most likely sign with a team that’s currently contending. 

It’s like every year the Yankees, Red Sox and Dodgers go out and get new toys. We sit back and wait around for thier discarded toys. I’m not trying to Debbie Down Eppler’s efforts but it certainly appears to me that it’s going to be another year of short term solutions. 

I’ve bitched about Albert for years but there’s no denying that his salary continues to have a negative impact on building a winning team. Well it certainly doesn’t help. But all joking aside I’m a fan like everyone else and if Arte is getting 3 million fans every year wtf is the problem! 

6 minutes ago, Calzone said:

It’s not that Strad. Sometimes you just have to roll with it. The league needs to implement a salary cap to level the playing field. Take Upton for instance, he says he wants to win so he’s made his wishes very clear. Take Otani, he will most likely sign with a team that’s currently contending. 

It’s like every year the Yankees, Red Sox and Dodgers go out and get new toys. We sit back and wait around for thier discarded toys. I’m not trying to Debbie Down Eppler’s efforts but it certainly appears to me that it’s going to be another year of short term solutions. 

I’ve bitched about Albert for years but there’s no denying that his salary continues to have a negative impact on building a winning team. Well it certainly doesn’t help. But all joking aside I’m a fan like everyone else and if Arte is getting 3 million fans every year wtf is the problem! 

in one paragraph you want long term solutions

next paragraph talks about limitations of long term deals.  

3 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

in one paragraph you want long term solutions

next paragraph talks about limitations of long term deals.  

Hey Doc, I’m just frustrated as a fan. All my neighbors have their Dodgers flags out this week. I’m hoping that we can somehow hit the free agent market and the international market instead of the flea market. I think the fans have been patient enough but they need to truly invest in some keepers for the future or we may see Trout leave discouraged. Maybe I’m expecting too much from this management team. They may not be equipped financially or have the necessary management people in place to get it done. 

18 hours ago, VariousCrap said:

Well, that is discouraging if true.  Just shows that Skaggs value is at a low point right now.  Honestly, I don't think I'd trade more than a Skaggs for Hernandez.

Not to be disparaging but I don't think or have read that Skaggs alone will get Hernandez....an unproven pitcher straight up for a competent offensive/defensive every day player??  Plus the Phil's don't have to trade him so they have a leg up there also.

55 minutes ago, Calzone said:

This is good, but then you had to add that last sentence.

This is the year that the Angels need to strike as the mythical "mystery team" on the pitchers. The Yankees are going to try get under the cap, so they can free up $$ for next year's free agent class, the Giants will either do the same or actually start their rebuild. The Red Sox won't be looking for big-name pitchers. The Dodgers have about eleventy billion potential starting pitchers now (granted, every one is fragile, but still...), the Phillies probably won't make a splash until next year, when they're ready to compete, the Cubs are probably going to be looking for mid-tier starters.

Granted, every team may want to be in on Otani, but the Angels must pursue him. They should also pursue Darvish, and then they can free up Skaggs and/or someone else to trade to the Phillies for Hernandez...or to the Marlins for Gordon.

Keep Upton, and failing that, get JD. Re-sign Petit, Hernandez, and get Morrow.

See what the Pirates want for Josh Harrison, if reasonable, make it happen.

Done.

1 hour ago, Calzone said:

Hey Doc, I’m just frustrated as a fan. All my neighbors have their Dodgers flags out this week. I’m hoping that we can somehow hit the free agent market and the international market instead of the flea market. I think the fans have been patient enough but they need to truly invest in some keepers for the future or we may see Trout leave discouraged. Maybe I’m expecting too much from this management team. They may not be equipped financially or have the necessary management people in place to get it done. 

The only thing I'm getting from your post is that you need to move to a better neighborhood.

2 hours ago, Calzone said:

Hackilton's contract was a bigger deterrent, because he contributed pretty much ZERO, outside of a game winning HR at AW tailgate night in 2013. 

17 hours ago, Hubs said:

Re up with Upton. Resign Yusmiero petit.

Sign David Hernandez and Jake McGee

Sign Mike Moustakas

Sign Zach Cozart

Sign Tyler Chatwood

Win 2018 World Series

This would be real close to the tax threshold.   Upton's offense is critical.   It would upgrade the pen, and adding Chatwood helps the rest of the rotation getting used to pitching regular innings. 

Concern with Cozart is if his recent success is an outlier.    2017 Moose would be great to have, but was the offense explosion also an outlier? 

42 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

So the Pujols contract keeps the Angels from building a winning team but adding a salary cap would help?  Huh?

A salary cap would prevent teams like the Yankees Dodgers and Red Sox from sticking their finger at us every winter. As far as the Pujols issue. He is who he is, a huge financial commitment that the Angels can’t get out of unless he quits. With all of the teams needs, I think Eppler would love to have an extra $27M - $28M - $29M - $30M to play with the next four seasons. Imagine the possibilities. What really sucks is they can’t even buy him out because he’s too expensive.