• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

4 minutes ago, Thomas said:

I think the term "mentally ill" is being thrown around too casually in this thread. For one it stigmatizes those with these illnesses. But also the term is entirely too vague. Without hyperbole if you go to a mental health professional, you'll almost certainly be defined as having at the very least a mild categorization of some mental illness. An equivalent to the common cold perhaps but something. A college student suffering from mild anxiety and/or depression because of upcoming finals isn't I'm sure the context most people mean when saying mentally ill. Perhaps a better categorization for the much more severe (and hence dangerous) cases would be appropriate?

valid points, chili. it's kind of like the definition of assault weapon. there were lots of questions about what that meant though i think most people generally thought of military type weapons. senator feinstein this week is calling for a new ban on assault weapons. will be interesting to see what congress does about it after letting the last bill expire, especially in light of some of the more recent gun disasters.

1 minute ago, Tank said:

valid points, chili. it's kind of like the definition of assault weapon. there were lots of questions about what that meant though i think most people generally thought of military type weapons. senator feinstein this week is calling for a new ban on assault weapons. will be interesting to see what congress does about it after letting the last bill expire, especially in light of some of the more recent gun disasters.

The AR-15 is easily the most popular rifle in the country. The amount that are used in criminal activity is statistically insignificant. Banning them will not change a thing. The University of Virginia shooter used handguns only. 

http://knowledgeglue.com/just-how-many-ar15s-are-out-there/

7 minutes ago, Jason said:

2007 – 220,110
2008 – 321,341
2009 – 433,662
2010 – 248,751
2011 – 535,257
2012 – 1,179,197
2013 – 1,606,609
2014 – 1,127,992

Crap they sell a lot of those. I might have guessed 10% of that. Speak about Thanks Obama.

24 minutes ago, Jason said:

The AR-15 is easily the most popular rifle in the country. The amount that are used in criminal activity is statistically insignificant. Banning them will not change a thing. The University of Virginia shooter used handguns only. 

http://knowledgeglue.com/just-how-many-ar15s-are-out-there/

you sound like you don't want anything to change. is that accurate? or do you have some ideas on how to cut down on these disasters?

Edited by Tank

47 minutes ago, Tank said:

you sound like you don't want anything to change. is that accurate? or do you have some ideas on how to cut down on these disasters?

I think just putting a band aid on bleeding and infected wound isn’t the answer. We have a problem with humans having evil in their hearts and no value of human life. I’ll get crap for this but i believe we have a spiritual problem in our country. The 1994 assault weapons ban had little to no effect. Overall the violent crime rates in the US have been going down over time. At the same time gun ownership has increased. Now I don’t believe gun ownership necessarily reduces crime but this tells me that ownership of guns doesn’t increase it either. I have no problem restricting certain people from possessing a gun. There just has to be due process before that is done. Banning a gun because of looks is just silly

24 minutes ago, Jason said:

I think just putting a band aid on bleeding and infected wound isn’t the answer. We have a problem with humans having evil in their hearts and no value of human life. I’ll get crap for this but i believe we have a spiritual problem in our country. The 1994 assault weapons ban had little to no effect. Overall the violent crime rates in the US have been going down over time. At the same time gun ownership has increased. Now I don’t believe gun ownership necessarily reduces crime but this tells me that ownership of guns doesn’t increase it either. I have no problem restricting certain people from possessing a gun. There just has to be due process before that is done. Banning a gun because of looks is just silly

I think Vox (very left wing sight) had an article about this - basically, guns don't make people violent, they just make that violence much more deadly.

3 hours ago, Thomas said:

I think the term "mentally ill" is being thrown around too casually in this thread. For one it stigmatizes those with these illnesses. But also the term is entirely too vague. Without hyperbole if you go to a mental health professional, you'll almost certainly be defined as having at the very least a mild categorization of some mental illness. An equivalent to the common cold perhaps but something. A college student suffering from mild anxiety and/or depression because of upcoming finals isn't I'm sure the context most people mean when saying mentally ill. Perhaps a better categorization for the much more severe (and hence dangerous) cases would be appropriate?

This is part of the point i was trying to make earlier, its easy to say "mental illness", but significantly harder to put a definition to it.

To me regardless of what a person may or may not have been diagnosed with, it has to be based on actual facts, past actions, not what-ifs.

2 hours ago, mtangelsfan said:

http://abc7.com/2647030/

Another shooting.  This time in northern California.  5 dead.  Shooting ended at an elementary school.   At least one student was shot.

People suck.

"The crazy thing is, is that the neighbor has been shooting a lot of bullets lately, hundreds of rounds, large magazines. And, you know, we just, we made it aware that this guy was crazy and he's been threatening us," Flint said.

So I wonder if the police were informed.  And if they gave the standard, sorry we can't do anything.  

1 hour ago, mtangelsfan said:

I have been thinking about this.  Automatic weapons have been around for over fifty years.  Why have things become so much worse

More accessible, better technology, cheaper as compared to what they would have been before in today’s dollars. While they might have had automatic weapons they certainly were harder to get than today Just from an availability standpoint. 

There are certainly other reasons, but just the sheer magnitude of the firepower you can get amplifies the carnage. 

3 minutes ago, red321 said:

More accessible, better technology, cheaper as compared to what they would have been before in today’s dollars. While they might have had automatic weapons they certainly were harder to get than today Just from an availability standpoint. 

There are certainly other reasons, but just the sheer magnitude of the firepower you can get amplifies the carnage. 

Automatic weapons have been strictley enforced since the 1930s. If you had an ATF license to get one a automatic weapon would cost around $10,000-$15,000 for a cheap one. And no, I don’t believe we should be allowed to have automatic weapons