• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

2017 Silver Linings

Chuck

Yep, I've come to the realization that we're done, so let's focus on the positives and hope some of these guys that we're counting on in 2018 finish this campaign on a solid note.

I'll start.  

Watching Mile Trout, Andrelton Simmons and Blake Parker shine. Petit too outside of last week.

Maldonado behind the plate. The HRs were gravy.

Having Richards & Heaney come back, and Richards looking very good.

Having a real good possibility of Justin Upton being our full time OF next season and for a few years after until our OF studs are ready. 

Knowing I don't have to watch Nolasco pitch for us EVER EVER AGAIN..

Some excitement down on the farm for the first time in a long time..

One year closer to Pujols retiring. 

Eppler & Arte giving us an indication that with $$$$ coming off the books that they're willing to spend this off-season to improve our chances going forward. 

3 minutes ago, Billy_Ball said:

First half Norris, yes.

Norris has been fantastic in 54 games, some 56 innings worth, and absolutely terrible in 5 others (2.1 innings worth).

He imploded at the worst possible time and in the most dramatic fashion, but he was an excellent reliever in 92% of his appearances this year. I actually hope the Angels bring him back next year on the cheap, and hopefully can rely on him as closer a little less.

2 hours ago, totdprods said:

Norris has been fantastic in 54 games, some 56 innings worth, and absolutely terrible in 5 others (2.1 innings worth).

He imploded at the worst possible time and in the most dramatic fashion, but he was an excellent reliever in 92% of his appearances this year. I actually hope the Angels bring him back next year on the cheap, and hopefully can rely on him as closer a little less.

Really cheap, and only use him in low leverage situations.  But we can use Scribner for that.

- Andrelton's defensive performance and his in-game defensive instincts are on a different level than the other 99% of Major Leaguer's

- Machete's defense, game calling, pitch framing, and control of the running game were on a similar level to Simmons in terms of overall ability

- Another fantastic season from Trout, despite his injury

- A great tactical trade for Justin Upton that may prove to be a great long-term move if he does not opt-out or we are able to re-sign him on reasonable terms (likely another year tacked on to his contract)

- Improved LF production from Cameron Maybin and Justin Upton

- Blake Parker's realization of his solid Minor League numbers and the fact that this was the one thing I got right this last off-season

- A great bullpen and the makings of a good bullpen next year (Parker, Bedrosian (his peripherals are fine), Middleton (huge fastball), Wood, Alvarez, and whomever else Eppler conjures up on the waiver wire

- The team's ability to make a comeback which was sorely missing from previous seasons. Hopefully we don't need to have as many next year because we will have a better team

- A seemingly very competent GM and front office staff

- The fact that starting in 2018 and beyond we should be very competitive over the next 3 seasons and probably beyond. Better payroll management and improved free agent selections combined with smarter trade targets will make this team a winner moving forward

It just wasn't enough this year but we'll hit the ground running next season I can feel it.

10 hours ago, Calzone said:

I'm going to say Simmons. I've never seen anything like him. He's a defensive genius. 

There have been more athletic or "acrobatic" short stops, but literally no one better.  He's got range, smarts, puts himself in the right place at the right time, and has a ridiculous arm.  He's without question the best I've ever seen.  Orlando Cabrera in recent memory was good, but if Simmons is a 10 defensively then Cabrera is a 7, and that isn't being disrespectful.  

9 hours ago, OregonLAA said:

Eppler's incredible ability to find arms

Parker and Petit were studs

Bridwell was very solid

Ramirez was pretty great since his call up

Hoping Petit comes back and three of these four guys contribute to the bullpen

Parker, Petit, Middleton, Bedrosian, and what about Andrew Bailey? We'd have to re-sign him. I believe he's a free agent after this year.

2 hours ago, zenmaster said:

If we can retain Upton that would be a nice consolation prize for 2017. 

We will. A bird in the hand. I think his current deal is perfect for both sides. The money and his age works perfectly. 

He has the ability to block trades to 20 teams under his current contract so any requests for a salary increase or years will make it difficult for Eppler to renegotiate. He has a nice deal now and he should stick to it. If he opts out, he's gambling. Just because Detroit gave him that contract with all the bells and whistles attached doesn't mean somebody else will. 

2 hours ago, Stradling said:

There have been more athletic or "acrobatic" short stops, but literally no one better.  He's got range, smarts, puts himself in the right place at the right time, and has a ridiculous arm.  He's without question the best I've ever seen.  Orlando Cabrera in recent memory was good, but if Simmons is a 10 defensively then Cabrera is a 7, and that isn't being disrespectful.  

That play against Houston where he deeked Correa that the relay was going through to 3B and then actually caught the relay throw basket style with his back to the play at first, twirled around and threw to Cron to get Correa in a rundown - then he runs to 2B after making the throw to Cron to got the throw from Cron as he chased Correa towards 2B (as Phillips stood watching), then twirled again and threw home to Maldonado to get Altuve in a rundown and then ran to third base to back up the play there....fricking amazing to watch that play as he ran around the field like the "Flash" from comic books and all others seemed to be in slow motion...agreed...the best ever I've watched.

1 hour ago, VariousCrap said:

All the come from behind wins.

This team had an amazing amount of "never say die" attitude.  Up until September, no matter the score, I always felt the Angels could win.

+1

Unfortunately, it likely wore the team down by September.

Trout (until late August), Simba, Machete, Petit, Parker, Bridwell, JC Ramirez until being hurt, Cron's 2nd half, BudLite's 1st half, Upton's September offense, GRich's September, and Noe Ramirez' September were all fun to watch.  

Only one more NoStuffCo start!