• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Unpopular Trout Opinion

m0nkey

Sure he's "sucked" recently, but the amount of hate he's getting is ridiculous. I'd say it's more just law of averages than him "choking when the team needs him most". If the angels don't make the playoffs, trout's September can be near the bottom of the list as far as I'm concerned. Without him, they're not even in a position for these games to matter. 

The Angels have a mediocre team at best, with Trout. The thing about mediocre teams is that they tend to rely too much on one or two guys. You think anyone would say a bleep about Trout's "off" September so far if they had a great winning percentage this month up to this point? Look at Goldschmidt's performance this month for the Diamondbacks. His September numbers up to this point are super atrocious but his team is winning so no one seems to notice.

16 minutes ago, m0nkey said:

Sure he's "sucked" recently, but the amount of hate he's getting is ridiculous. I'd say it's more just law of averages than him "choking when the team needs him most". If the angels don't make the playoffs, trout's September can be near the bottom of the list as far as I'm concerned. Without him, they're not even in a position for these games to matter. 

And yet, his slash line this month (.222/.386./.426) even after tonight's game would be something that Pujols would dream of putting up this season. Anyways, Trout has been super unlucky this month. His BABIP this month, counting tonight's game is now .213. I am guessing it is more because pitchers are getting lucky against Trout more than anything.

1 minute ago, JustATroutFan said:

And yet, his slash line this month even after tonight's game would be something that Pujols would dream of putting up this season. Anyways, Trout has been super unlucky this month. His BABIP this month, counting tonight's game is now .213. I am guessing it is more because pitchers are getting lucky against Trout more than anything.

he hasn't hit a ton of balls very hard from what I've seen.  There have been a ton of pitches he normally crushes that he's fouled off or popped up.  

People don't hate Trout.  Even with injury, he's had a great season.  

He's just picking a shit time to slump.  Is it coincidence or are there other things at play?  

regardless, it sucks.  

3 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

he hasn't hit a ton of balls very hard from what I've seen.  There have been a ton of pitches he normally crushes that he's fouled off or popped up.  

People don't hate Trout.  Even with injury, he's had a great season.  

He's just picking a shit time to slump.  Is it coincidence or are there other things at play?  

regardless, it sucks.  

And if the Angels were a good enough team, they would pick Trout up. This is a team sport, not an individual sport. No one here would be making a fuss about Trout "struggling" this month if they had kept on winning games. It only looks bad when you're losing games. Remember when they had all those good teams from 2002-2009? 

Just now, JustATroutFan said:

And if the Angels were a good enough team, they would pick Trout up. This is a team sport, not an individual sport. Remember when they had all those good teams from 2002-2009? 

we've known from the beginning of the year they weren't good enough to pick him up.  The bottom line is that he'd have to play a certain way to give them a shot.  He did that through August.   It's not mystery that the team goes as he goes.  It's not a lie to say that him not performing like his usual self has really hurt their playoff chances.  It's not fair to blame him, but I don't see anything wrong with being bummed about it.  

Ha, so they are wasting his greatness. A lot of people say that the Angels are wasting Trout's greatness and I see them as being "right". It should not come down to Trout needing to have to play like a beast like every single time for the Angels to have a chance but it feels like it. Team just isn't good right now. Mediocre at best.

15 minutes ago, JustATroutFan said:

Ha, so they are wasting his greatness. A lot of people say that the Angels are wasting Trout's greatness and I see them as being "right". It should not come down to Trout needing to have to play like a beast like every single time for the Angels to have a chance but it feels like it. Team just isn't good right now. Mediocre at best.

If the best player in baseball can't perform like he normally does when it really matters, then it's going to be difficult for any team to make up that difference.  

It's quite simple right now though.  The team is pretty mediocre out side of him and it's an absolute necessity that if they have  any chance at being better than that it means Trout has play like the best player in baseball that he is.  

Even though it's clear he doesn't have the supporting cast, they have had a chance to grab a WC spot.  They still do.  Trout has had the opportunity to propel them into that spot yet he hasn't come through.  He's needed to be the guy with the 1.000+ ops and he hasn't been.  

I am a fan of Mike and he has done great for this team and I have seen many go with the likes of Anderson, Guerrero, Erstad, Salmon, Edmonds. I've been a fan since 96 which was one of the worst seasons but as a child I was excited to see them play and Trout reminds me of Edmonds but better and less fragile. And Mike is going through a slump, bad time yes, but I will always welcome him here even if I get mad at him for grounding out.

2 hours ago, yk9001 said:

He has a .409 OBP this month.

You guys frigging kill me.

I think it is down to .386, which is almost 100 points lower than two other months this year. His OPS in Sept is a very pedestrian (for him) .812.

Notwithstanding the foregoing (I worked it in!), here's why I feel the value of a high OBP and its cousin, OPS is misleading and somewhat overrated.

I get that avoiding outs is so important in baseball. But when you have a player like Trout, who has gap power and HR power, you'd like to see him have a higher percentage of getting on base from making contact. It's OK if a speedster like a Mickey Rivers or a Billy Hamilton gets a high percentage of OBP from walks. A high percentage of their hits are going to be singles, anyway. High OBP has good value if the team has a good complement of RBI guys immediately behind him. The Angels just havent had that, for most of Trout's career. Pujols will never be that, again.

Trout's power makes him our best power guy, as well as our best OBP guy. So, placing him at #2 is definitely the best place for him, with this combo. The problem is, we havent had any great high OBP guys in front of him, either.  

More than anything, the Angels first priority next year is to get a high OBP guy in front of him and another power guy behind him. Upton may work out for power, IF he is here. But Albert should now be hitting no higher than 5th. We need someone, preferably a good LH bat, to be in the 3 or 4 slot with Upton. It makes no sense to put Trout at #3, because of his high OBP. He will come up too many times in the first inning with two outs. Waste of a high OBP guy like him. Then, we need a .350 or better lead-off hitter in front of him.

Mike is just pressing. HE knows Sept is his worst month and we finally have a chance to make the playoffs. HE knows that he needs to do more than draw walks. So, he is swinging at more pitches that he normally takes. That's what I think is going on. He isnt fatigued;  he had lots of weeks off in July.

I just dont know if the Angels would be winning more, if he was taking more pitches;  given what's around him.

36 minutes ago, WeatherWonk said:

I think it is down to .386, which is almost 100 points lower than two other months this year. His OPS in Sept is a very pedestrian (for him) .812.

Notwithstanding the foregoing (I worked it in!), here's why I feel the value of a high OBP and its cousin, OPS is misleading and somewhat overrated.

I get that avoiding outs is so important in baseball. But when you have a player like Trout, who has gap power and HR power, you'd like to see him have a higher percentage of getting on base from making contact. It's OK if a speedster like a Mickey Rivers or a Billy Hamilton gets a high percentage of OBP from walks. A high percentage of their hits are going to be singles, anyway. High OBP has good value if the team has a good complement of RBI guys immediately behind him. The Angels just havent had that, for most of Trout's career. Pujols will never be that, again.

Trout's power makes him our best power guy, as well as our best OBP guy. So, placing him at #2 is definitely the best place for him, with this combo. The problem is, we havent had any great high OBP guys in front of him, either.  

More than anything, the Angels first priority next year is to get a high OBP guy in front of him and another power guy behind him. Upton may work out for power, IF he is here. But Albert should now be hitting no higher than 5th. We need someone, preferably a good LH bat, to be in the 3 or 4 slot with Upton. It makes no sense to put Trout at #3, because of his high OBP. He will come up too many times in the first inning with two outs. Waste of a high OBP guy like him. Then, we need a .350 or better lead-off hitter in front of him.

Mike is just pressing. HE knows Sept is his worst month and we finally have a chance to make the playoffs. HE knows that he needs to do more than draw walks. So, he is swinging at more pitches that he normally takes. That's what I think is going on. He isnt fatigued;  he had lots of weeks off in July.

I just dont know if the Angels would be winning more, if he was taking more pitches;  given what's around him.

You are correct, when I typed that at 3:00 am, the Tuesday games hadn't been updated on baseballreference.com.  His September OBP is .386.

Mike Trout is the best hitter for average on this team.  Mike Trout is the best hitter for power on this team.  Mike Trout is the on-base guy on this team.  Mike Trout is the (second) best fielder on this team.  Mike Trout is the best base stealer on this team.  God forbid he stumbles in one of those facets he is the best of (in this case, power) you guys are on him like a plate of hot wings at an AW.com event. F all you guys.  I hope Trout leaves at the end of his contract, goes somewhere else, and instead of that lumbering fatass octogenarian Pujols, Trout actually produces on his latter contract.

9 hours ago, m0nkey said:

I agree with you that the hate can be ridiculous.  A lot of comments maybe due to frustration.  No one expected the team to still be in contention this late and its baffling that the best player in the game is playing an average player.  Yes we are not in contention without Trout.  However, baseball is a team sport and if the team does not make the playoffs Trout shares in responsibility.  I was trying to think when has a Superstar like Mike Trout ever struggled so badly in a playoff hunt in September like he is.  I can't thin of any.  Usually this is the time the great ones shine.  I still have hope he comes around and puts the team on its back and gets it into the playoffs.  After all that is what great players do and Mike Trout is a great player.

9 hours ago, JustATroutFan said:

And yet, his slash line this month (.222/.386./.426) even after tonight's game would be something that Pujols would dream of putting up this season. Anyways, Trout has been super unlucky this month. His BABIP this month, counting tonight's game is now .213. I am guessing it is more because pitchers are getting lucky against Trout more than anything.

I certainly hope his luck turns around before its too late.

There's a good chance we might back into the 2nd WC spot, as the other teams still in contention are also playing badly right now.

1 1/2 games back, we're still very much in this. But it would really help if we could win one of these Cleveland games. We also might have to win 3 of 4 next week in Chicago, then take care of Seattle at the Big A. Not over till it's over!

I have a feeling Trout is going to break out very soon and help us in a big way.