• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OC Register: Garrett Richards’ long-awaited return to Angels generates excitement

AngelsWin.com

OAKLAND — When Garrett Richards takes the mound for the Angels on Tuesday night, it’s certain to create a buzz.

“It’s going to be pretty exciting, for sure,” Kole Calhoun said. “A guy like that, when he’s right, is a frontline starter, a No. 1 for a lot of teams. Hopefully he feels good and can help us going forward.”

Richards started just once this season before missing five months with biceps nerve irritation. He’ll be limited to about 50 pitches on Tuesday night, which will be the first of perhaps six starts down the stretch.

“Guys are excited,” Manager Mike Scioscia said. “Everyone realizes Garrett’s talent and what it can mean, but we still have to take baby steps with him. As much as you’d like to take the wraps off and let him go as far as he can, that’s not going to be possible tomorrow.”

The Angels will have both Troy Scribner and Jesse Chavez capable of multiple innings of relief after Richards. The expanded September rosters also allow them to use five or six pitchers for an inning apiece, though.

Even after Monday’s 11-reliever marathon, Scioscia said the Angels should have enough pitching to cover for Richards without any further roster moves.

TROUT’S OK

Mike Trout gave the Angels a scare when he fouled a ball off his right foot while he was batting in the 11th inning. Trout initially seemed to have trouble putting weight on his foot, as he walked gingerly around the plate while Scioscia and trainer Adam Nevala attended to him.

Trout, however, stayed in the game. He struck out, then played center fielder. Afterward, he said he was “all good.”

Earlier in the game, Trout had drawn a walk in his 12th consecutive game, a new career high. The franchise record is 13, by Albie Pearson in 1961.

ALSO

Albert Pujols had three more hits and his 91st RBI. In his last five games, Pujols is 12 for 22 with 12 RBI…

Yunel Escobar (strained oblique) did some throwing on the field and hit in the cage. Scioscia said he’s getting closer to being ready, and he may not need any more at-bats in the minors. Scioscia reiterated that Escobar will be the everyday third baseman when he returns, which means Luis Valbuena and C.J. Cron will platoon at first base…

The Angels recalled Jefry Marte, bringing their roster to 33 players. Marte is likely to start at third on Wednesday against left-hander Sean Manaea…

The Angels claimed right-hander Dayan Diaz on waivers from the Houston Astros. Diaz, 28, was designated for assignment when the Astros were awarded Cameron Maybin from the Angels, so it essentially works out like a trade. Diaz has pitched 19 games in the majors, with 10.5 strikeouts per nine innings. The Angels optioned him to Rookie-level Orem, because that’s the only team that will still be playing by the time he can report. Daniel Wright was designated for assignment for create a 40-man spot for Diaz…

The Angels will need to make a move with the 40-man roster to activate Richards from the 60-day disabled list on Tuesday…

Bud Norris (knee) threw a bullpen session on Monday. Scioscia said “it’s a possibility” that he could be activated as soon as Wednesday, the first day he’s eligible.

View the full article

2 minutes ago, Farmbuildingfan said:

Can someone please explain why Escobar automatically gets his job back with both Cron and Valbuena having both been productive lately?

Now they will both become part time players and could lose their consistency.

Nothing to explain that you don't already know ... Cron is batting .211 and Valbuena .182  I think a platoon is ok

8 minutes ago, Troll Daddy said:

Nothing to explain that you don't already know ... Cron is batting .211 and Valbuena .182  I think a platoon is ok

How about look at their power numbers since the ASB.

Valbuena: 12 HR, .333 OBP, .933 OPS

Cron: 11 HR, .292/.347/.591/.938

I guarantee Escobar makes a costly error in his first game back.

I don't know why people get worked up over Escobar.  He's a pretty good bat and he gets on base.  The D isn't great admittedly, but I'm not really sure how much better Valbuena is there.  We haven't seen much of him at 3b. 

Cron I would prefer get most of the AB's at 1b. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

12 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

I don't know why people get worked up over Escobar.  He's a pretty good bat and he gets on base.  The D isn't great admittedly, but I'm not really sure how much better Valbuena is there.  We haven't seen much of him at 3b. 

Cron I would prefer get most of the AB's at 1b. 

Agree Phillips should be hitting 8th not 1st. Yunel will pretty much complete the lineup with him plugged in at leadoff. 

2 minutes ago, SigBaby said:

Agree Phillips should be hitting 8th not 1st. Yunel will pretty much complete the lineup with him plugged in at leadoff. 

Disagree, because Phillips can actually steal you a base and is a better base runner. His concern at 1B gets Trout's some delicious fastballs. 

Escobar can be a run producer down in the lineup. 

15 minutes ago, fan_since79 said:

I'll be happy if I don't hear the words "twinge", "forearm", "bicep", or "irritation" for the next 24 hours.

Please, let Richards get through this without something falling off his body.

I will be happy after each pitch when the trainer does not come out.

But you are right, true relief will take 24-72 hours without any bad news.

I really love watching Richards pitch, his stuff is really electric. Fastball has life, and oh that curve ball. He makes hitters look dumb when lefties swing at pitches about to hit their front leg, or when they stare at pitches dropping right down the middle of the plate.

I really hope he can stay healthy.

32 minutes ago, moccasin said:

I really love watching Richards pitch, his stuff is really electric. Fastball has life, and oh that curve ball. He makes hitters look dumb when lefties swing at pitches about to hit their front leg, or when they stare at pitches dropping right down the middle of the plate.

I really hope he can stay healthy.

His stuff is unreal. That combination of velocity and movement is unique in baseball, as far as I can tell. Its like...if he is able to throw all of his pitches for strikes, then he is just about unhittable.