• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

MIke Trout sucks....

2 hours ago, heRo said:

In all seriousness, this is why I've never been as high on Trout as others. I just don't see that October killer instinct in him.  He's TOO "nice".  He tails off every August and September like clockwork and his one post season appearance was terrible.  I watched Cabrera from the beginning and he hit a walk off HR in his first game, helped the Marlins (!) win a WS by taking Roger Clemens deep after a close pitch and staring Clemens down, THAT is killer instinct. He's lost it and look at him now.  Terrible.  David Freese, a very average player,  had killer instinct.  Kirk Gibson had killer instinct.  That is what this team needs, someone like a KC Royals player who never gives up and will LEAD this team to the promised land.  Forget Upton, sign a Royal or two and if we have the money left over for Trout,  great.  If not, oh well.  He's had enough time to mature now and I'm just not seeing it.  Get a haul for him while the gettin's good.  Otherwise you can rinse and repeat this season, over and over.  We can't afford him, and the pitching we need, and all the other holes....and our farm doesn't have the answers either.

Someone doesn't recognize sarcasm.  And the fact that all players goes through droughts during the season.

2 hours ago, heRo said:

In all seriousness, this is why I've never been as high on Trout as others. I just don't see that October killer instinct in him.  He's TOO "nice".  He tails off every August and September like clockwork and his one post season appearance was terrible.  I watched Cabrera from the beginning and he hit a walk off HR in his first game, helped the Marlins (!) win a WS by taking Roger Clemens deep after a close pitch and staring Clemens down, THAT is killer instinct. He's lost it and look at him now.  Terrible.  David Freese, a very average player,  had killer instinct.  Kirk Gibson had killer instinct.  That is what this team needs, someone like a KC Royals player who never gives up and will LEAD this team to the promised land.  Forget Upton, sign a Royal or two and if we have the money left over for Trout,  great.  If not, oh well.  He's had enough time to mature now and I'm just not seeing it.  Get a haul for him while the gettin's good.  Otherwise you can rinse and repeat this season, over and over.  We can't afford him, and the pitching we need, and all the other holes....and our farm doesn't have the answers either.

I'm going to take your post at face value and assume you're not trolling. One thing to consider is that you can only make such a statement about a truly great player. One problem with Trout's greatness is that if he's ever less than great, or not great in every way, it stands out glaringly. This is compounded by the fact that for the life of his career, he's had no other stars in the lineup to diffuse the pressure.

Exhibit A. For the link-o-phobic, it is a list of all 86 Angels hitters seasons from 2012-17 with at least 100 PA, sorted by WAR. Trout has the top six spots. #7 is Torii Hunter in 2012 at 5.2 WAR. After that everyone is below 5, and only Hunter, Simmons, Kendrick, Aybar, and Calhoun have had a 4+ WAR season (4 WAR being roughly a borderline star).

But WAR includes all aspects of a player's performance. Let's look at just hitting...

Exhibit B. Same chart as above, but sorted by wRC+. Again, Trout has the top six spots - but now there's no one even close. His worst wRC+ was 167, which he hit in both 2012 and 2014 (to put that in context, only seven players in major league history have a career wRC+ better than 167, including Trout...in other words, his worst seasons were better than all but the average careers of six other players). #7 on the list is Albert Pujols with a 133 wRC+ in 2012, his first year. #8 is 131 by Torii in 2012, and after that no one else has produced a 130+ wRC+, and only Torii, Albert, Calhoun, Iannetta, and Trumbo have produced a 120 or better wRC+ since 2012 (120 wRC+ being a "very good hitter").

To put that another way, in Trout's six years as an Angels regular, there have been only seven "very good hitter" seasons (120+ wRC+), three of which were in 2012, one in 2013 (and that was Kole in 222 PA), and three in 2014. There have been no "very good hitters" from 2015 to the present in the lineup with Trout, only several above average to good ones (105-119 wRC+).

The point being, not only has Trout been the lone star in the Angels lineup for the majority of his career, he's had very few even "very good" hitting performances around him. Something to consider. We don't really know how he'd perform if he was surrounded by better hitters; one thing I'd guess is that his slumps wouldn't be such a big deal and wouldn't stand out as much.

3 hours ago, heRo said:

As someone already said..shut the fuck up.

8 minutes ago, Lou said:

Last August his ops was 1.167 - the highest month of the season.

Time to get a new clock 

PS stfu 

A little bit off on OPS but regardless, Trout had a great August last year after putting up a .349/.486/.651 slash line for a 1.137 OPS in 107 plate appearances. So no small sample size of PA's.

3 hours ago, heRo said:

In all seriousness, this is why I've never been as high on Trout as others. I just don't see that October killer instinct in him.  He's TOO "nice".  He tails off every August and September like clockwork and his one post season appearance was terrible.  I watched Cabrera from the beginning and he hit a walk off HR in his first game, helped the Marlins (!) win a WS by taking Roger Clemens deep after a close pitch and staring Clemens down, THAT is killer instinct. 

Mike Trout Career

August .292/.410/.536 - .946
Sept .289/.413/.511 - .924

Killer Cabrera Career

August .321/.398/.567 - .933 
Sept .312/.394/.534 - .928

Killer Cabrera's lowest OPS months are August and Sept...  just like Mike Trout.    It only seems worse with Trout because he's so much better than Killer when he's at his peak.   

Good Talk...

5 hours ago, heRo said:

you should have held out 'til the end of the night.  hero.  

2 hours ago, TroutTrumbo said:

There is still one week left in August. He can go on a tear. The Angels have no chance if he and Simmons don't turn it around.

Remember when everyone said Vladdy sucked in the post season?  Well he had the killer insticlnct to knock out Papelbon and the Sox.

7 minutes ago, heRo said:

Of course all players go through droughts.  But Trout shows a consistent pattern of declining from July on.  It's not an ordinary drought, it's a career long pattern.

August 2017  1.073 OPS

August 2016  1.173 OPS

Sept 2016   962 OPS

August 2015  689 OPS

Sept 2015 1.085 OPS

August 2014  849 OPS

Sept  2014 926 OPS

August 2013  1.090 OPS

Sept 2013   949 OPS

August 2012 866 OPS

Sept 2012 836 OPS

Career post All Star  943 OPS

Don't let facts get in the way of stupidity.