• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Cowart promoted

Scott34

48 minutes ago, zenmaster said:

Cowart at 2b rest of the season and Cron at 1b rest of the season. Time to see who can / can't play.We don't have much to lose this season.

This!  Reality is we are not going for this year if we make the post season.  We need to think about next year.  We need to see if CJ and Kaleb are part of our future or what.

1 hour ago, Angel Oracle said:

That was 2013-2014 Cowart in AA, after he changed his swing and before he changed it back to the original swing.   The Cowart since June 2015 knows how to get on base, and while not a HR hitter will produce enough XBH's.   And he is very good defensively and on the bases.   Definitely, Cowart >>> Pennington >>> Espinohitsa >>> Franklin.

He may not be the ultimate solution, but at least give him the rest of 2017 to see if so.   If he is, one less position to fix for 2018.  

He has a something like a .200 OBP since then though.

Cowart isn't the first guy to have a lot of ups and downs through his age 25 season.  It wouldn't be that unusual for him to have finally figured something out and turned a corner at this point in his career.  With really no better options the Angels ought to take a long serious look.  If he can slot in as a regular for the Angels it would be one less very important massive problem to solve.

Like someone else said earlier, the guy absolutely passes the "eye" test. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

2 hours ago, JustATroutFan said:

Will never understand to love for Cowart. He has been a big time bust for the Angels.

Just like Bedrosian was...      He was at times called the worst pitcher ever and people openly wondered why he was even still on the 40 man roster...   Small samples are bad..   Smalls samples of erratic play time are even worse.

This isn't to say that Cowart is good, it's more the reality that he hasn't been given the actual opportunity to prove he's as bad as the small sample crowd thinks he is.

4 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Just like Bedrosian was...      He was at times called the worst pitcher ever, and people openly wondered why he was even still on the 40 man roster...   Small samples are bad..   Smalls samples of erratic play time are even worse.

This isn't to say that Cowart is good, it's more the reality that he hasn't been given the actual real opportunity to prove he's as bad as the small sample crowd thinks he is.

This! 

3 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

Maybe it just seems he's hitting key HR's against us is why I thought he kills us. Maybe not. 

That said, he's the best option to man 3B next year if he's not going to be too expensive. 

He is the best 3b free agent out there.  What makes you think he isnt going to.be expensive?

2 hours ago, krAbs said:

Came here to say this. Worst case is it lets us know that we have a lot of parts to fill, and maybe we should aim for 2019. Best case and all we need is to fill a couple holes, and maybe shell out big money for an ace, and really make a run next year. Either way, at least we will know what to do.

Just a hypotheitical:

Cowart plys well at 2b.  Adequate but great hitter!  Escobar willing to sign 2 year deal for 3b.  Maybin willibg to sign 3 year deal for LF.  Cron with consistent playing time gets 1b.  

We just solved all of our position question marks.  Lots of money for pitching!

A man can dream....cant he?

2 minutes ago, stormngt said:

Just a hypotheitical:

Cowart plys well at 2b.  Adequate but great hitter!  Escobar willing to sign 2 year deal for 3b.  Maybin willibg to sign 3 year deal for LF.  Cron with consistent playing time gets 1b.  

We just solved all of our position question marks.  Lots of money for pitching!

A man can dream....cant he?

I would seriously consider trying to upgrade at least LF if that were to happen. I don't trust Maybin. He is like an outfield Aybar with worse hitting stats- stupid mistakes in the field with occasional miraculous moments, stupid moments on the basepaths with occasional spots of genius. Except he is also infuriatingly streaky at the plate. Though, if I'm remember right, we have some of our better prospects coming up the pipeline in outfield.

2 minutes ago, krAbs said:

I would seriously consider trying to upgrade at least LF if that were to happen. I don't trust Maybin. He is like an outfield Aybar with worse hitting stats- stupid mistakes in the field with occasional miraculous moments, stupid moments on the basepaths with occasional spots of genius. Except he is also infuriatingly streaky at the plate. Though, if I'm remember right, we have some of our better prospects coming up the pipeline in outfield.

No argument from me.  I didnt think it was realistic. 

I am concerned about FA.  The contracts are getting longer and longer and the salaries going higher and higher.  I am beginning to.think its unsustainable to to after free agents with long term contracts. 

3 hours ago, JustATroutFan said:

Will never understand to love for Cowart. He has been a big time bust for the Angels.

yeah, i'm not really expecting much. expectations here seem pretty high right now. will be pleasantly surprised if he's better than grant green.

6 minutes ago, stormngt said:

I am concerned about FA.  The contracts are getting longer and longer and the salaries going higher and higher.  I am beginning to.think its unsustainable to to after free agents with long term contracts. 

Sooo....escobar continues to be passable at third, we pull up cowart and puello at LF and they both are somewhere between fine and very good, cron starts producing from first, calhoun wakes the eff up, and we go forward with an elite bullpin following a rotation of arrieta/darvish, richards, heany, skaggs, meyer/trop, with shoe and bridwell as depth (I'm done waiting for shoe to start pitching well again...). Maybe sell of ramierez for depth.

I don't see any reason why that team shouldn't be able to take the WS next year. haha

18 minutes ago, stormngt said:

I agree with you on the free agent route, it is becoming unsustainable.  That is precisely why the Cowart call up is important.  We need much more when it comes to young prospects with a high chance of making a splash.  I would throw most of our resources in that direction.  Eppler seems to have a good grasp on hidden talent, e.g. Bridwell, Meyer, Ramirez, etc..  Free agency may be good for about a player a year if you have a really glaring hole, and the right choices are available,  or perhaps for a standout #1 or #2 starter.  It's a clumsy and inefficient way to patch a roster.   

2 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

Just like Bedrosian was...      He was at times called the worst pitcher ever and people openly wondered why he was even still on the 40 man roster...   Small samples are bad..   Smalls samples of erratic play time are even worse.

This isn't to say that Cowart is good, it's more the reality that he hasn't been given the actual opportunity to prove he's as bad as the small sample crowd thinks he is.

I don't think Bedrosian was a first round draft pick. If he wasn't, I could see why people openly would root for someone who was a first round pick like Cowart because it is nice to see a guy go from being labeled as a flop to a good player.

10 minutes ago, JustATroutFan said:

I don't think Bedrosian was a first round draft pick. If he wasn't, I could see why people openly would root for someone who was a first round pick like Cowart because it is nice to see a guy go from being labeled as a flop to a good player.

Drafted: 2010 June Amateur Draft - Round: 1, Pick: 29, Overall: 29, Team: Los Angeles Angels