• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Dusty Baker. Baseball Savant

Part of me wonders if anyone could manage the Nats to a division title this year, or if Baker is actually doing a good job.

The same can be said of Scioscia in the pre-2010 Angels. He made a lot of monumentally stupid decisions but still came out on top.

Which also begs the question, are these choices monumentally stupid if you're still coming out on top? And if they are still stupid then does the role of manager actually matter? Oh no I've gone cross eyed!

2 minutes ago, Scotty@AW said:

Part of me wonders if anyone could manage the Nats to a division title this year, or if Baker is actually doing a good job.

The same can be said of Scioscia in the pre-2010 Angels. He made a lot of monumentally stupid decisions but still came out on top.

Which also begs the question, are these choices monumentally stupid if you're still coming out on top? And if they are still stupid then does the role of manager actually matter? Oh no I've gone cross eyed!

I don't think they (managers) matter that much.  And the decision was really stupid. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

43 minutes ago, Scotty@AW said:

What manager doesn't make stupid decisions 

59 minutes ago, Scotty@AW said:

On this site, as with most fan sites, every manager is stupid, makes stupid moves, and everyone typing away could do a better job.

Having covered Dusty for many years, what he says is not always what's really going on. I think he sometimes likes to be folksy and say colorful things. 

That particular quote, as I understand, preceded a lot of other things he said about why he did it.

Whether or not the decision was right is debatable, but he certainly didn't make it because Dusty believes that Pujols is the same player he was 10 years ago. 

Having watched Dusty play for most of his career, he was a very good all around ballplayer. His performance as manager has been even better. He's a 3 time Manager of the Year with 8 post season appearances. Calling him a savant is insulting and idiotic.

13 hours ago, gurn67 said:

Having watched Dusty play for most of his career, he was a very good all around ballplayer. His performance as manager has been even better. He's a 3 time Manager of the Year with 8 post season appearances. Calling him a savant is insulting and idiotic.

Except that something inevitably happens to his teams in the post-season.   His teams have won just 3 out of 10 post-season series, and choked away an almost certain WS title in 2002 and an almost certain WS appearance in 2003.    Even Scioscia, for all of the post-season criticisms he gets, has won 5 out of 11 post-season series.