• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Forbes Top 50 most valuable teams

When Forbes says you are worth 1.75 billion, it means someone will pay like 2.2 billion.  That just how it rolls with premium franchises in major markets.

So is Arte a big picture balance sheet decision maker or an annual cash flow decision maker?

I guess it depends on the player?

I know which way I WANT him to be. . .and he still would live and die so filthy rich is nuts.

Somebody make him see that balance sheet, please?

Gimme Machado and Harper and two stud pitchers.

Oh No! The team pays a few million in luxury tax and all that winning is embarrassing because it was purchased. . .

In everyone's estimation, how much do they think Arte could comfortably spend in 2018-2019?  Is it truly just the luxury tax limit?   Or is he willing and able to go say $10-15 million past that luxury tax threshold for the RIGHT players (read..not declining stars and if a star pitcher not drastically overused in previous years). 

2 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

In everyone's estimation, how much do they think Arte could comfortably spend in 2018-2019?  Is it truly just the luxury tax limit?   Or is he willing and able to go say $10-15 million past that luxury tax threshold for the RIGHT players (read..not declining stars and if a star pitcher not drastically overused in previous years). 

Well, considering the local TV deal is estimated at 150 Mil per, and the nationa TV deal is another 50 mil per....    That's 200 Mil before selling a single ticket or hot dog and BEFORE considering the money MLB is making and that is split evenly thanks to MLB Advance Media.   

Honestly, all the MLB teams could be spending a lot more money.

17 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

I truly don't think we are going to be involved heavily in that market on the top end as much as I would like to be. This trade deadline and this off-season will chart the course for the next three seasons so that free agent class is probably irrelevant unless Arte is willing to go over the CBT threshold (which is possible but I'm not holding my breath). Arte could be willing to skirt over the threshold for a 1-2 year period to push the Trout window, particularly if they don't extend him.

7 minutes ago, ettin said:

I truly don't think we are going to be involved heavily in that market on the top end as much as I would like to be. This trade deadline and this off-season will chart the course for the next three seasons so that free agent class is probably irrelevant unless Arte is willing to go over the CBT threshold (which is possible but I'm not holding my breath). Arte could be willing to skirt over the threshold for a 1-2 year period to push the Trout window, particularly if they don't extend him.

Me too. Whether it's via big splash trades or FA signings, or both. 

All I really hope for is flexibility for the right players.

People will point to a bad Pujols contract but the reality is Arte will survive that problem without much of a blink (in the big picture).

While I don't want a repeat of that deal, it also serves as proof these mlb teams in big markets can roll through fairly big mistakes and still massively grow on the balance sheet in equity.

Arte has no debt on the team.  He doesn't need to get himself into a debt problem but larger point is the resources are there for him to go to another level and the resulting status of the team.financially would still be stellar and considered conservative among his peers.

He isn't getting younger and going to another level mathematically isn't even remotely reckless. . .

I hope he wants to win.

None of what I just said means changing course on fixing the minor.league system.  It's just about being willing to sign the right players not being afraid of salary.

20 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

When Forbes says you are worth 1.75 billion, it means someone will pay like 2.2 billion.  That just how it rolls with premium franchises in major markets.

So is Arte a big picture balance sheet decision maker or an annual cash flow decision maker?

I guess it depends on the player?

I know which way I WANT him to be. . .and he still would live and die so filthy rich is nuts.

Somebody make him see that balance sheet, please?

Gimme Machado and Harper and two stud pitchers.

Oh No! The team pays a few million in luxury tax and all that winning is embarrassing because it was purchased. . .

cash flow.  but you knew that.  He's even said that he likes being debt free.  

14 years and the franchise has gone from the 186mil he bought it at to around 2bil.  18.5% annual growth rate and that doesn't include the cash it's been pouring down on him during that time.  

That also doesn't include what the LT platinum center will due to the value 

"Right now, we haven’t been able to … it really gets down to economics."

CBT threshold this year is 195mil and with benefits, halo payroll is brushing up against that (probably around 185-190).  

will be interesting to see if they off arb to Richards.  Doubt they do for Alvarez.  Shoe could be an arb casualty as well depending on his recovery.  Cron too (probably not). 

Right now they're looking at $135mil in payroll plus about 15mil in bennys or 150mil total.  Leaving them about 45mil below the threshold.  

Just now, Dtwncbad said:

Thanks.

And hopefully pump cash into the stadium to make it an experience, a drawing asset and not a "passable" quasi-nuisance to tolerate to see a game?

there are some articles from back in late 2016 where the Angels tried to block the city from doing this project. Then LT Global came in and met with the halos brass with carpino coming out and saying they've resolved their issues.  LTGlobal declined to disclose what 'accommodations' were made.  Which I thought was kinda humorous.  My guess is that it was some free stadium improvements.  

9 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

there are some articles from back in late 2016 where the Angels tried to block the city from doing this project. Then LT Global came in and met with the halos brass with carpino coming out and saying they've resolved their issues.  LTGlobal declined to disclose what 'accommodations' were made.  Which I thought was kinda humorous.  My guess is that it was some free stadium improvements.  

Or equity in some of the surrounding projects. . .

Looking at #34 (Oakland Raiders $2.1bn), today's Las Vegas Review Journal said that the estimated value has almost doubled since the move to Las Vegas was announced.

I was a bit surprised to see the Jacksonville Jaguars at #42, since it it generally said that they are the NFL's least popular team.

19 minutes ago, Vegas Halo Fan said:

Looking at #34 (Oakland Raiders $2.1bn), today's Las Vegas Review Journal said that the estimated value has almost doubled since the move to Las Vegas was announced.

I was a bit surprised to see the Jacksonville Jaguars at #42, since it it generally said that they are the NFL's least popular team.

If you ever have the chance to go to a Jags game and sit in the pool, do it!

Was probably the most fun I've ever had at a game. You buy a cabana I believe there are 8 in total and then you get access to the pool.  Your drinks and all that are included, so basically drink as much as you can while you're there. I also ended up jumping in the gross ass river after so maybe don't drink as much as you can but you get the point 

1 hour ago, CanadianHalo said:

If you ever have the chance to go to a Jags game and sit in the pool, do it!

Was probably the most fun I've ever had at a game. You buy a cabana I believe there are 8 in total and then you get access to the pool.  Your drinks and all that are included, so basically drink as much as you can while you're there. I also ended up jumping in the gross ass river after so maybe don't drink as much as you can but you get the point 

I have only been to a game there once, and the pool wasn't in yet. My high school played their home football games on that field, but that was long before the NFL came to town and the stadium was totally rebuilt. I doubt that they let the high schools anywhere near that field now.

2 hours ago, Vegas Halo Fan said:

NFL teams are uber valuable in large part because they share their money much more than any of the major sports.  So even the worst NFL franchise guarantees it's ownership a generous return..    The NFL was always the Billionaires Boy's Club of pro sports leagues.

13 hours ago, Vegas Halo Fan said:

I have only been to a game there once, and the pool wasn't in yet. My high school played their home football games on that field, but that was long before the NFL came to town and the stadium was totally rebuilt. I doubt that they let the high schools anywhere near that field now.

Is that the old Gator Bowl?

On 7/12/2017 at 3:52 PM, Inside Pitch said:

Well, considering the local TV deal is estimated at 150 Mil per, and the nationa TV deal is another 50 mil per....    That's 200 Mil before selling a single ticket or hot dog and BEFORE considering the money MLB is making and that is split evenly thanks to MLB Advance Media.   

Honestly, all the MLB teams could be spending a lot more money.

This.

We (as fans) call the players greedy because of the contracts they ask for (and get), but the reality is the owners are crushing it.

We can say the players are overpaid (compared to normal people), but those players are whats making the owners (of all sports) rich beyond what any of us can even comprehend.

On 7/12/2017 at 4:23 PM, Dochalo said:

I remember that being thrown around about 15 or so years ago. Theyve left that area empty for years i guess just to do this. I knew some people who bought in that area (katella/st college) just becsuse of it...everyone thought the idea was dead.

Funny to see the map...progress and new homes west of...skid row east of.