• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels acquired UTL Nick Franklin

7 hours ago, Stradling said:

I don't think we have had this Franklin before.  I think we had Ryan Franklin, not Nick Franklin.  

As far as a trade, I have no idea who would want Pennington or Espinosa, so if any are being traded I guess it would be Cowart or Yunel.  

you misread my post. not again as in once again, but "again" as in why. i was implying that pennington is outproducing franklin, so what would be the benefit of adding one to subtract the other?

personally, i don't see the benefit of adding him to the 25. i figured he was ticketed to replace cowart at AAA, and maybe that will be the case in 5 more days, once cowart is eligible to come back up, then again maybe not.

6 hours ago, ukyah said:

you misread my post. not again as in once again, but "again" as in why. i was implying that pennington is outproducing franklin, so what would be the benefit of adding one to subtract the other?

personally, i don't see the benefit of adding him to the 25. i figured he was ticketed to replace cowart at AAA, and maybe that will be the case in 5 more days, once cowart is eligible to come back up, then again maybe not.

I don't think we are gonna see Cowart again when he's eligIble to come up, unless someone is hurt or traded by that point.

I'm guessing Marte goes back down, Franklin fills a UT IF/OF role for now, so they can put a pause on calling up Marte, Cron, and Cowart for awhile and have them play everyday in AAA.

It is entirely possible that within the next few weeks, that depth starts to shake up. Perhaps Marte, Cron, or Escobar get traded. Maybe Pennington or Espinosa get cut. Maybe Trout returns and Eric Young gets nabbed on waivers to make space, and they simply want Franklin around to try for general depth and aren't worried about losing him on waivers.

Maybe Espinosa ends up back with the nationals, with Turner injured.  Turner will likely be back in about 6-8 weeks which means the Angels can get him back in time for a September run at the playoffs and extend him for five years!

1 hour ago, totdprods said:

I don't think we are gonna see Cowart again when he's eligIble to come up, unless someone is hurt or traded by that point.

I'm guessing Marte goes back down, Franklin fills a UT IF/OF role for now, so they can put a pause on calling up Marte, Cron, and Cowart for awhile and have them play everyday in AAA.

It is entirely possible that within the next few weeks, that depth starts to shake up. Perhaps Marte, Cron, or Escobar get traded. Maybe Pennington or Espinosa get cut. Maybe Trout returns and Eric Young gets nabbed on waivers to make space, and they simply want Franklin around to try for general depth and aren't worried about losing him on waivers.

That's exactly what we are looking at here. There's going to be a lot of different moving parts come trade season, and given Franklin's potential and versatility, we'll need him and he'll get an opportunity.

Espinosa will either be traded or cut loose in the next few weeks.

Pennington's contract is up, so unless they want him to play 2B over Miller and Cowart, he's likely gone too.

Escobar might be traded, or might be extended. If he is traded, we'll need the depth to absorb this move.

Cron, Marte and Cowart will all get everyday AB's in AAA. Hopefully they up their value enough for a trade.

This keeps Valbuena planted at first base which is what they want, I think.

Franklin is still young and only a year removed from a pretty solid season in a reserve role. Good depth to have, candidate to emerge into something better, but also someone easily shed without any real harm. 

He's just depth. I think the fact he switch hits is why he's here mostly. They were in this awkward stage of flipping Cron and Marte down based on match-ups because Valbuena can't hit lefties. I think Franklin helps end that see-saw for them for a bit, until other pieces fall. 

1 hour ago, totdprods said:

Franklin is still young and only a year removed from a pretty solid season in a reserve role. Good depth to have, candidate to emerge into something better, but also someone easily shed without any real harm. 

He's just depth. I think the fact he switch hits is why he's here mostly. They were in this awkward stage of flipping Cron and Marte down based on match-ups because Valbuena can't hit lefties. I think Franklin helps end that see-saw for them for a bit, until other pieces fall. 

It's still a odd move ... I can't see the team going with one first baseman. There has to be a bigger move connected to this trade one would think. 

13 minutes ago, Troll Daddy said:

It's still a odd move ... I can't see the team going with one first baseman. There has to be a bigger move connected to this trade one would think. 

Yup. Especially with two lefties ahead in Paxton and Mejia, it would be weird for Marte to go down.
Franklin is 'better' against RHPs so it isn't like he'd be better than Valbuena against a lefty. 

7 hours ago, Revad said:

Maybe Espinosa ends up back with the nationals, with Turner injured.  Turner will likely be back in about 6-8 weeks which means the Angels can get him back in time for a September run at the playoffs and extend him for five years!

I thought about that too.....the parting with the Nats was messy but maybe not irreparable....Espinosa is a helluva defender, he just can't hit....and the Nats know him....

2 minutes ago, SlappyUtilityMIF said:

who disappeared from the 25man?

No one yet, but Franklin is out of options. Pounders was optioned last night, but Norris likely being activated today.

Young, Marte, or another pitcher (Bridwell?) are really only options that make sense, short of a DL stint for someone, a trade, or a DFA like Revere, Espinosa, or Pennington.

2 minutes ago, totdprods said:

No one yet, but Franklin is out of options. Pounders was optioned last night, but Norris likely being activated today.

Young, Marte, or another pitcher (Bridwell?) are really only options that make sense, short of a DL stint for someone, a trade, or a DFA like Revere, Espinosa, or Pennington.

I could see them skipping/optioning Bridwell with the break coming up next week and play musical chairs for the 1-2 starts. I think they keep the last 3 guys. Maybe, move Pennington?...

2 minutes ago, SlappyUtilityMIF said:

I could see them skipping/optioning Bridwell with the break coming up next week and play musical chairs for the 1-2 starts. I think they keep the last 3 guys. Maybe, move Pennington?...

Yeah wondering that too, if Bridwell may be out for a spell. Maybe another arm brought up and DFAed/optioned if need be. 

13 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Yeah wondering that too, if Bridwell may be out for a spell. Maybe another arm brought up and DFAed/optioned if need be. 

After the draft there will be some upward movement on the young SP side as the newbies start to slide in. Maybe, someone gets a look (Start) like Smith? Or, our favorite Daniel Wright....

2 minutes ago, Farmbuildingfan said:

Why is there no mention of Valbuena in trade talks?....Do the Angels really like Valbuena, or do they simply know he will command nothing in return in a trade?

The later...He basically sucks....not Eppler's best move....