• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

things to do in la?

kind words...thank you.

LA is a great place to photograph. A few (holy shit...this was from back in 09) we were waiting for the train and I saw they were shooting a commercial. This is the annex area that is closed off for the most part. Big spotlight outside, smoke machines, actors etc. I walked over to the corner and just pretended I was part of the shoot taking stills. Was awesome, everyone standing still waiting for action to be yelled.

qjzwHsP.jpg

thanks for the help gents. looks like i was on the right track, being born and raised out here everything is planned with traffic in mind. we will make a day of it today....as you can tell it's 11am and we just finished breakfast because i took them to fritz last night. (haven't been there in months but apparently everyone remembers how much money i spent the past few times so it was kind of vip from the bouncers to the hostess to the girls to even the dude in the bathroom that gives you the paper towels). so we are behind schedule and it's also a friday which will mean hell as the nightlife picks up.

i was thinking beach to inland as blarg mentioned, just not sure how to incorporate peterson into the mix.

good stuff @notherhalo, this is kind of the theme. for these guys it's more bouncing around drink spots so they can go home and say they saw the beach for the first time and can say they have been to la.

planning on taking family again next week, but that one will be more landmark and museum based. today will be the rated r variety with next week the family edition.

@BrandonI'd do Peterson first if you are going to do it.  It gets dark around 8 pm, so after Peterson head to Santa Monica, park, and there are plenty of places to walk around to. 

If not and you are going to do the drink run.  Either Santa Monica or Hollywood.  I would personally do Santa Monica in the evening, because Hollywood you would have to drive from location to location.  And Hollywood at night just is creepy.  At least in Santa Monica, you can stumble wherever.

One other thing I forgot to mention.  If your buds are music fans.  Amoeba Records would be a fun stop in Hollywood.  They pretty much deal in mainly vinyl records, but have just about everything.  Make sure you stop by Arclight also, since they usually have movie props/costumes on display. 

as for the rest of the thread we headed out after my last post, so i didn't see anything after....which makes me laugh, because i kind of did the opposite.

santa monica pier (overly touristy, but ironically as long as i have been going to la i have never been), venice (probably spent the most time here at the skatepark watching all the little shredders), met up with victor at culver hotel for drinks, then we all went to the rainbow room for dinner....we all were musicians at one point and it's a rock staple.

good times. i'll jump back here and to some personal messages next week for round 2.

gonna try to find something better for travel/parking. did great with routes and traffic avoidance, but can probably do something better about racking up all the parking costs at all the stops.

58 minutes ago, Vegas Halo Fan said:

I have been to La Brea, and I found it entertaining and not all that expensive. Well worth the stop.

daughter and i went to la brea tarpits back in march and enjoyed it. not sure it's the kind of thing brandon's friends would have been interested in, but it had it's good points and didn't take long to get through. the room filled with saber tooth tiger skulls was kind of awesome.

remember going to the tar pits for school when i was a young kid. definitely not something of interest to the people in town. i should have mentioned we were only doing la yesterday....i noticed people threw weekend or multiple day type of stuff. so that one's in the book. they just wanted to check out local spots and not do anything too touristy....for instance, of all the bouncing around and sights, one of them had the most fun at rainbow room and hearing stories about lemmy of motorhead and being in a building where the rock scene frequents.....plus seeing the guitar player from quiet riot last night. but that one is in the books.

next week the group will be more lacma, historic landmarks, and maybe some things off the beaten path. i kind of want to try some hidden food gems.

8 hours ago, Brandon said:

as for the rest of the thread we headed out after my last post, so i didn't see anything after....which makes me laugh, because i kind of did the opposite.

santa monica pier (overly touristy, but ironically as long as i have been going to la i have never been), venice (probably spent the most time here at the skatepark watching all the little shredders), met up with victor at culver hotel for drinks, then we all went to the rainbow room for dinner....we all were musicians at one point and it's a rock staple.

good times. i'll jump back here and to some personal messages next week for round 2.

gonna try to find something better for travel/parking. did great with routes and traffic avoidance, but can probably do something better about racking up all the parking costs at all the stops.

Blah blah blah, but did you meet up with victors mom?

8 hours ago, Brandon said:

wish i would have saw this before we went yesterday. i'd do this if it wasn't done in a coach bus. plus, it's way more fun doing this by yourself driving through the hood. although, i have been around some of these areas.

Being that this is a baseball site

Take your buddies to crenshaw in a rangers hat. Then down near the airport in an astros hat. Finally over near the old forum in a yankees hat.

Its like being troll daddy, but you get shot.

Brandon, if you want to try something different then see which of the oldest restaurants in LA area you can hit.

http://thelosangelesbeat.com/2015/05/offbeat-l-a-the-oldest-surviving-los-angeles-restaurants-a-master-list-of-the-vintage-historic-and-old-school/

My wife and I have checked off a lot of these. Musso Frank's in Hollywood is a step into the past. The bar is pretty cool by itself and you expected to see some 30's gangster with a pair of broads taking up one of the booths.

Tam O'Shanter is a great pub. Very period piece 1920's style. You will definitely find some good wiskey there.

Tom Bergen's Public House, another great pub dating back to the 30's.

Closer and at the beach is the Crab Cooker in Newport.

Not much of anything still standing in Orange county other than Knott's Berry farm kitchen for a fried chicken dinner. Most everything else has be turned over so many times they have no history.

Anyway there is a long list of old funky places that aren't your BJ's or Olive Garden experience.

15 hours ago, Blarg said:

Brandon, if you want to try something different then see which of the oldest restaurants in LA area you can hit.

http://thelosangelesbeat.com/2015/05/offbeat-l-a-the-oldest-surviving-los-angeles-restaurants-a-master-list-of-the-vintage-historic-and-old-school/

My wife and I have checked off a lot of these. Musso Frank's in Hollywood is a step into the past. The bar is pretty cool by itself and you expected to see some 30's gangster with a pair of broads taking up one of the booths.

Tam O'Shanter is a great pub. Very period piece 1920's style. You will definitely find some good wiskey there.

Tom Bergen's Public House, another great pub dating back to the 30's.

Closer and at the beach is the Crab Cooker in Newport.

Not much of anything still standing in Orange county other than Knott's Berry farm kitchen for a fried chicken dinner. Most everything else has be turned over so many times they have no history.

Anyway there is a long list of old funky places that aren't your BJ's or Olive Garden experience.

the more i think about it, this may be the trek. i still want to do some of the classic/vintage la spots now that i'm older and will appreciate it more, but i really want to do a solid food run.....maybe combine the two.

this is definitely up my alley and something i may even chip at after everyone is gone. i took three months off of work after the rates went to shit and had this grandiose idea of doing all sorts of shit i have put off, and one of my ideas was taking the train up to la and just doing whatever i wanted via uber, etc. and most of it included landmarks and food spots.

that's actually some bucket list type shit for me.

5 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Havent been to the knotts chicken restaraunt in years, but i loved it as a kid. Orange has that old ice cream shop downtown, its been in some movies. 

Ghetto aside, theres some old spots in santa ana (i assume).

my ex's family used to live out here back when homes inland were 40k. they cashed in awhile back but would come out here and the only thing they wanted to do as a must was "the chicken dinner" at knotts.

i'll be honest, i've never done it.

26 minutes ago, Brandon said:

the more i think about it, this may be the trek. i still want to do some of the classic/vintage la spots now that i'm older and will appreciate it more, but i really want to do a solid food run.....maybe combine the two.

this is definitely up my alley and something i may even chip at after everyone is gone. i took three months off of work after the rates went to shit and had this grandiose idea of doing all sorts of shit i have put off, and one of my ideas was taking the train up to la and just doing whatever i wanted via uber, etc. and most of it included landmarks and food spots.

that's actually some bucket list type shit for me.

Ok but before you roll out Glendora way for the Golden Spur let me warn you they haven't updated anything since the 70's which includes decor, staff, clientele and the garage band on the weekend that is pushing 70. 

Not everything on that list is gold.

12 hours ago, Brandon said:

my ex's family used to live out here back when homes inland were 40k. they cashed in awhile back but would come out here and the only thing they wanted to do as a must was "the chicken dinner" at knotts.

i'll be honest, i've never done it.

I dont even know of its worth the hype to be honest, at least from what i remember. But it does have some charm to it.