• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Lock Trout Down

Trout is going to get the highest contract in the history of baseball.  There are probably 10 teams willing to give him that just waiting for the halos to f**k this up.  Arte will pay.  No doubt.  

But the team he signs with will be ready to win.  

So the big question is....do the halos structure their plan to lure Trout to stay?  Or do they do everything they can to win while they know Trout is here?  

The former likely means we play it conservative and perhaps spend money but not prospects.  

The latter would entail trading whatever you've got to try and win now.  

I've said it before and I'll say it again.   This is the make or break year of Eppler as a gm.  He's not just deciding on how to build a winning team for 2018, but he's laying the groundwork for whether Trout stays.  Two or three extra moves in 2018 could affect whether Mike wants to be part of 2021.  

To me, the best chance is to acquire guys that will be at their peak 2-3 years from now.  As much as I like Jones, Adell and Marsh, do we really think Trout is going to care what they'll be in 2022?  

If I am Eppler, I am trying to secure 25/26 yo talent for 1b, 2b, 3b and SP right now.  Those players are what will bring us wins in 2020 or 2021.  Expecting Trout (or any other FA for that matter) to extrapolate our farm is a long shot.  Baseball players don't think like that.  They see what's in front of them.  

I would also extend Richards.  He and Trout are buds.  He's got top of the rotation stuff.  You can probably add a few years at 8-10 mil through age 33.  

But again, Eppler has to decide.  

Frankly, if he decides this team is about Trout for the long term then he may as well lock him up now.  

At the end of the day, Trout for 2021-2026 ie his 29-35 is likely more important than whatever any of our top prospects are going to be.  But to get that range, you're gonna nee to pay for another 5 year of him on top of that. 

It's going to be very interesting to see what Eppler does.  Very Interesting.  

I think we can post-pone talk of a Trout extension until we see what Harper and Machado get next year. After that, an extension could happen, but I think Trout (or his agent) wants to see what those two contracts will be, as they'll be the highest in major league history, and Trout's extension will build from there. 

My guess is that Machado gets something like 10/$350MM or 12/$400MM, and Harper 10/$400-450MM or 12/$450-500MM - the range depending upon which version of Harper shows up. I think a Trout extension next year, which would include the two remaining years on his contract plus another ten, would be something like 12/$550MM.

@Dochalo , I hear you about prospects and such, but the thing is that Adell, Jones, and Marsh have not yet reached their peak trade value. Jones is close, but Adell and Marsh are still a ways a way. To trade them now or before seeing at least another year of minor league play would be trading low (not saying you are suggesting trading them, just commenting on the idea).

personally think Machado isn't going to get that much.  He was surprisingly avg at the plate this year.  If that happens again, it's going to be way less than the 350 you mentioned.  Even if he has another 6+ WAR season, I don't see his AAV getting much getting much above 30mil.  Personally think it will be closer to 8/250 or maybe 9/270.  

I think those are pretty generous estimates. No player has ever come close to $40 million a year, and that's suggesting there will be two possibly within the same offseason. 

I don't see it. I don't even think Trout will top 40 million. What team can afford that? With an assumed payroll of $200 million that's 20 percent tied to one player. For over a decade.

I know all it takes is one team, but I just don't see anyone doing it. I guess we'll see.

On 5/14/2017 at 5:19 PM, Calzone said:

That's exactly why fans are begging Arte to use Plan B and lock him up now because the opportunity to build a winner around him plan hasn't panned out.

IMO Trout would be foolish to agree to such a plan now, before knowing what the market will be for his services, or what this organization will do going forward.

5 minutes ago, CanadianHalo said:

Doesn’t Mike’s GF still live in NJ? I know she visits and crap but she might still even work back home...?

I wonder when they are getting married.  If it’s this off season then I would assume she would move out to So Cal.  That’s only an assumption, but it would make sense. 

9 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I wonder when they are getting married.  If it’s this off season then I would assume she would move out to So Cal.  That’s only an assumption, but it would make sense. 

Yeah hopefully she moves out to SoCal because if she doesn’t... that’d be a very telling sign

On 11/17/2017 at 10:47 PM, Dochalo said:

Trout is going to get the highest contract in the history of baseball.  There are probably 10 teams willing to give him that just waiting for the halos to f**k this up.  Arte will pay.  No doubt.  

But the team he signs with will be ready to win.  

So the big question is....do the halos structure their plan to lure Trout to stay?  Or do they do everything they can to win while they know Trout is here?  

The former likely means we play it conservative and perhaps spend money but not prospects.  

The latter would entail trading whatever you've got to try and win now.  

I've said it before and I'll say it again.   This is the make or break year of Eppler as a gm.  He's not just deciding on how to build a winning team for 2018, but he's laying the groundwork for whether Trout stays.  Two or three extra moves in 2018 could affect whether Mike wants to be part of 2021.  

To me, the best chance is to acquire guys that will be at their peak 2-3 years from now.  As much as I like Jones, Adell and Marsh, do we really think Trout is going to care what they'll be in 2022?  

If I am Eppler, I am trying to secure 25/26 yo talent for 1b, 2b, 3b and SP right now.  Those players are what will bring us wins in 2020 or 2021.  Expecting Trout (or any other FA for that matter) to extrapolate our farm is a long shot.  Baseball players don't think like that.  They see what's in front of them.  

I would also extend Richards.  He and Trout are buds.  He's got top of the rotation stuff.  You can probably add a few years at 8-10 mil through age 33.  

But again, Eppler has to decide.  

Frankly, if he decides this team is about Trout for the long term then he may as well lock him up now.  

At the end of the day, Trout for 2021-2026 ie his 29-35 is likely more important than whatever any of our top prospects are going to be.  But to get that range, you're gonna nee to pay for another 5 year of him on top of that. 

It's going to be very interesting to see what Eppler does.  Very Interesting.  

You don’t need Mike Trout to win a championship. A good Boy Scout is always prepared if Trout signs elsewhere.

I think Eppler is laying down the ground work for  the long term future with or without Trout. His legacy won’t be tied to Trout but to winning. 

We all want Trout to stay! 

11 minutes ago, Troll Daddy said:

You don’t need Mike Trout to win a championship. A good Boy Scout is always prepared if Trout signs elsewhere.

I think Eppler is laying down the ground work for  the long term future with or without Trout. His legacy won’t be tied to Trout but to winning. 

We all want Trout to stay! 

Trout just recently bought a 300 acre property in NJ near his parents.

“It’s just where he wants to be,” Trout’s father, Jeff Trout, said. “He’s a family guy. He loves his [three-legged] dog. He’s close with his mother. He has a great group of friends here he’s had since he was a little kid. He’s very tight with his brother and sister and he loves his niece and nephew. He grew up fishing and hunting and clamming these woods and these waters.”

1 hour ago, Calzone said:

Trout just recently bought a 300 acre property in NJ near his parents.

“It’s just where he wants to be,” Trout’s father, Jeff Trout, said. “He’s a family guy. He loves his [three-legged] dog. He’s close with his mother. He has a great group of friends here he’s had since he was a little kid. He’s very tight with his brother and sister and he loves his niece and nephew. He grew up fishing and hunting and clamming these woods and these waters.”

As much as we hate to read this ... the writing is on the wall.