• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Do you think signing Shohei Otani is realistic?

I just saw his story on 60 minutes.  After today's epic win and the fact that he would be able to play with with the best player in baseball, do you think it's a realistic possibility the Angels can sign him?  According to an interview with him, money is not his number 1 priority.  Sorry if this has been discussed before but the 60 min bit on him got me thinking.  I know he is out for 6 weeks but he is still only 22 and having a SP and an everyday hitter that's the same guy and can hit in front of Trout or after Pujols would be epic!

I think the Angels are going to have some minor bey to spend here in a year or two. If they like Otani more than Harper or Machado, then yeah.

My guy says no. This guys should hit and pitch, and I think if he goes to an AL team, it will require some creativity, not something Scioscia has been known for in the past, though he seems to be coming around. 

If Machado reaches FA, I can picture the Angels going all in on him.

I don't think so.  I envision him either going to an NL team and strictly being a pitcher who can hit or going to an AL team as a pitcher with the team opting for no DH on days he pitches and him DHing on days he isn't pitching.  This doesn't fit the Angels mold because they have their DH.  

Although I briefly read something where he wouldn't get much money because he is under 25, so if he is inexpensive its possible.  I will admit I don't fully understand what his price would really be.  They could sign him and use him as a pitcher and if he pans out would take on the DH role once Pujols retires.  Its hard to say with this guy.  You want your starting pitcher to rest and unless this guy comes in and is one of the best hitters in the league it is hard to see him being used as a DH which is much better suited for a veteran player that can't field anymore.

1 hour ago, Scotty@AW said:

If Machado reaches FA, I can picture the Angels going all in on him.

I don't see that happening. It's going to take $400,000,000 to extend Trout. Can't see the Angels going $300,000,000+ on Machado and $400,000,000 on Trout.

Would love to see it, but it's tough going against the Skanks and Dogs.   Plus it's been TWENTY years since someone of any note directly from Japan signed here (Hasegawa).

As for 3B, I see Moustakas being a solid possibility after this season.   GG caliber defender who hits just enough.

8 hours ago, Dochalo said:

I have my doubts as to whether he'd want to play in Anaheim.  The new international signing rules are going to put a hard limit on the amount of money he'll get so he's basically choosing the team that's the best fit.  I think because of sheer publicity and legacy, that will be the Dogs or Skanks.  

The Yankees would be a perfect fit because of Tanaka, the short right field porch and of course the great years that Matsui had in New York. 

Japanese pitchers like the West Coast but there really isn't a fit for him where he can hit and pitch (NL team). The Dodgers might be in on him, and the Giants too, but those teams both have solid rotations.

Next offseason, Mike Moustakas is likely the Angels #1 target offensively and I could see them throwing money at Yu Darvish or Jake Arrieta.

8 minutes ago, Hubs said:

Japanese pitchers like the West Coast but there really isn't a fit for him where he can hit and pitch (NL team). The Dodgers might be in on him, and the Giants too, but those teams both have solid rotations.

Next offseason, Mike Moustakas is likely the Angels #1 target offensively and I could see them throwing money at Yu Darvish or Jake Arrieta.

Actually, the DH rules state that you can opt out of using the DH as long as you make the decision before the game.  AL teams just don't ever use that option for obvious reasons.

I realize the DH rules, but the problem with Otani and an AL team is that even if he's a legit MOTO hitter, would they want to forgo the DH for the entire game? He doesn't get to be the DH, and when he leaves the mound, then relievers hit. Or have to be pinch hit for.

7 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

As for 3B, I see Moustakas being a solid possibility after this season.   GG caliber defender who hits just enough.

Yeah I'm assuming we go after Moose as well. 

I don't think the Royals are going to wait to long to become sellers this season if things start to head south. I can't imagine we'd trade for him mid season if Escobar is still hitting over .300 it would cause too much of a shake up in the lineup. 

Lorenzo Cain is someone who could be a nice add if Maybin doesn't end up producing consistently. 

1 hour ago, Hubs said:

I realize the DH rules, but the problem with Otani and an AL team is that even if he's a legit MOTO hitter, would they want to forgo the DH for the entire game? He doesn't get to be the DH, and when he leaves the mound, then relievers hit. Or have to be pinch hit for.

It depends on how good teams think he will actually be with his bat.  If he is better than anything you can put at DH then why not do it that way?  Only catch is that if he has a bad game and gets pulled early you are in a bit of a bind.  Its also possible they would just have him DH on days he isn't pitching and have a DH for him on days he is.  

Here is my take:  If there are AL teams that think he will be able to hit they will give him a shot at DH on his off days.  In that case I think he will be more likely to sign with an AL team simply because he will have more opportunities to play.  If teams don't think his bat is a game changer in MLB, then he is more likely to sign with an NL team because he will get a fair amount of opportunities to bat.  Seems to me he wants to at least have the chance to do it all and so he will likely go to whatever team is going to give him the biggest chance to do that.

Angels don't fit either of those scenarios.

19 hours ago, AngelsFanSince86 said:

Although I briefly read something where he wouldn't get much money because he is under 25, so if he is inexpensive its possible. 

From what I understand.  From the new CBA, he will earn a max of around $6 million a year.  Not sure for how long, might be a max of 6 years (which would be the same lengths as the path to MLB free agency which would make sense.)  Also haven't been following the CBA as closely as in years past, but I think it counts against international cap money, so you wouldn't be able to sign international players for a while.

Per the OP, I think all teams have a shot.  Any team that doesn't make the max bid of $20 million posting fee should get their balls cut off.  IMO, the team he will go to will guarantee he will be able to pitch and hit.  Not sure if he's one of those that want to play the field or would go the DH route.  If I remember right, he's an OF'er.  While I wouldn't count the Angels out.  The Japanese players tend to migrate towards the big teams.  Dogs, Skanks, Sux, and Mariners.  And of the 4, Mariners make the most sense.  Since they can afford to let him develop on the field, where the Dogs, Skanks, sux would want results.

19 hours ago, Hubs said:

If he's consistently good enough, it would probably be worth doing NL-style double switches every fifth day.

• 7 months later...