• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Fangraphs top 100 prospects.

NrM

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/2017-top-100-prospects/

92. Jahmai Jones, CF, Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim
Drafted: 2nd Round, 2015 from Wesleyan School (GA)
Age 19 Height 5’11 Weight 210 Bat/Throw R/R
Tool Grades (Present/Future)
Hit Raw Power Game Power Run Fielding Throw
40/60 40/50 30/45 60/60 45/55 45/45

Scouting Summary
Jones is short back to the baseball and rockets head-hunting contact back up the middle at opposing pitchers. He’s a plus runner and great athlete with high-end makeup who should stay in center field and hustle his way to 20 annual doubles while hitting .280 or so.

Progress!

Doesn't look like Ellis has pitched this spring, at least in big league camp. 

Newcomb hasn't fared too well in three separate spring trainings now:

6 G, 6.1 IP, 16 H, 12 ER, 7 BB, .485 BAA, 3.63 WHIP, 17.05 ERA. 

Only bright side is he hasn't walked anyone this spring, in 3 IP.

2 hours ago, Stradling said:

A lot of people hated the trade because we all over value the unknown

True confessions....I really didn't like it.....the final analysis won't be made until you see how far Newcomb and Ellis go....neither seems to be knocking on the big league door (there is still time for either or both)....In a sense, I guess I was right---Simmons didn't help us last year any more than Aybar would have....but that is skewed by all the pitching injuries...Simmons definitely helps us contend much more than Aybar would have if we have a healthy pitching staff....Just so everybody is prepared, I liked this offseason--Maybin, Revere, Espinoza---so we are screwed...

21 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

"Jones is short back to the baseball and rockets head-hunting contact back up the middle at opposing pitchers."

Am I missing something or does this sentence make absolutely no sense?

if it said 'he's quick back to the baseball' would that have helped?  I had to read it a couple of times myself.  

3 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

"Jones is short back to the baseball and rockets head-hunting contact back up the middle at opposing pitchers."

Am I missing something or does this sentence make absolutely no sense?

It definitely could have been written better and I re-read it three times to understand it so I get where you are coming from. First part is simply saying he can play shallow and get back on the ball fast and the second part is saying he has excellent line-drive exit velocity with an up the middle approach.

Every top prospect list has their own tendencies. 

MLB.com is all about where they were drafted, how much of a signing bonus they got, and how other lists are viewing these players. It's terribly unoriginal.

Minor League Ball is all about scouting, and promximity to the majors. They'll unearth a lot of fringe players that others never covered, but they also won't go into much detail on the great prospects because everyone already knows who they are.

Baseball America and Baseball Prospectus are basically the same thing. It's which system they like, and if a prospect is from that system, he'll be ranked highly. When it comes to the Angels, you're reading one scout's account on one day.

FanGraphs is pure, raw, hot, sexy unbridled upside. That's it. They don't care about numbers, proximity or anything else. They care about athletes and 100 mph fastballs. They hit on future superstars and completely miss on everything else.

The smaller Angel specific websites (Which I won't name personally) are box score checkers, that's it. Really not much to offer.

And then there's us, AngelsWin. I try to combine upside, proximity, performance, hype and most importantly, my own observations. Then we all put our heads together and a conglomerate list is created. I think the best way to describe us is comprehensive with a touch of optimism. We catch the ones others didn't, while also paying homage to both upside and proximity. It's isn't perfect, our optimism hurts our reputation, but it also is what keeps us doing what we do.

4 hours ago, Dochalo said:

if it said 'he's quick back to the baseball' would that have helped?  I had to read it a couple of times myself.  

I immediately responded to AJ's post and then saw yours ha!

1 hour ago, ettin said:

It definitely could have been written better and I re-read it three times to understand it so I get where you are coming from. First part is simply saying he can play shallow and get back on the ball fast and the second part is saying he has excellent line-drive exit velocity with an up the middle approach.

I still don't know if the first half means he can play shallow or is short back to the ball as in, his stroke to the ball.    Really could go either freaking way and it's annoying

16 hours ago, Scotty@AW said:

And then there's us, AngelsWin. I try to combine upside, proximity, performance, hype and most importantly, my own observations. Then we all put our heads together and a conglomerate list is created. I think the best way to describe us is comprehensive with a touch of optimism. We catch the ones others didn't, while also paying homage to both upside and proximity. It's isn't perfect, our optimism hurts our reputation, but it also is what keeps us doing what we do.

.... I thought you were going by sex appeal this whole time!

15 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

Meanwhile Simmons is still the best defensive SS in the game and he improved offensively last season.

He's also red hot for the Netherlands in the WBC.

And if we decided to trade Simmons today our return would be greater than what we gave up.  By that standard, we've already won.