• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

T-Ball

Adam

5 hours ago, Keener said:

I had to sit through one last year.  Two women from our board ran it.  The very first thing one of them did was yell at us that just because they were women doesn't mean they don't know baseball.  Um, ok.   Agreed.

The next thing she told us was that coaches should never argue with the 'referees'.  

Why were the snack moms giving the presentation?

next mandatory meeting you should have someone turn down the lights, hit play on your mini-disc player, unleash your intro music, and then enter like a wwf wrestler. 

come in like this.

then after running around for 5-6 minutes. ask if that chair is free.

sit down, cross your legs, take out a pen and your trapper-keeper, put on your glasses, and just nod "uh-huh.. uh-huh" at every talking point, taking furious notes.

then make sure to inquire about free agency rules and what the salary cap is projected to be this year. also ask what the limit is on number of dominican boys you are allowed to to stay at your house while you train them for life in the bigs.

49 minutes ago, mrwicked said:

next mandatory meeting you should have someone turn down the lights, hit play on your mini-disc player, unleash your intro music, and then enter like a wwf wrestler. 

come in like this.

then after running around for 5-6 minutes. ask if that chair is free.

sit down, cross your legs, take out a pen and your trapper-keeper, put on your glasses, and just nod "uh-huh.. uh-huh" at every talking point, taking furious notes.

then make sure to inquire about free agency rules and what the salary cap is projected to be this year. also ask what the limit is on number of dominican boys you are allowed to to stay at your house while you train them for life in the bigs.

"do we have a written policy on live chicken sacrifice?  Mind you, I'm no disciple of Caribbean hoodoo, but some of my boys, you see, need something to cling to after such a traumatic raft ride.  No, not from Cuba.  I took them all to Raging Waters last weekend.  They can't swim"

• 2 weeks later...

Adam's practice will be the only one in the nation where he will have the kids do a home to home run around.  And the parents will be betting on who will be the fastest.

And 18 day gap between games.  That's like a 6 month layoff for horses right?  I should bet against your team after such layoffs right?

• 3 weeks later...

How's your T-Ball team coming along?

My machine pitch team (6-7 year olds) got absolutely boat raced yesterday.  I think they stacked the infield, instead of rotating everyone though the infield, and this one kid was a damn vacuum; fielded everything hit at him and even threw out a runner from third. 

I try to genuinely get all my kids in every spot, but 3 of my 7 year olds, who should have more experience, are playing for the first time.  Frustrating watching the kids try to field ground balls by trapping it with their glove, and the opposing team just taking bases and pulling off triple plays

16 hours ago, AngelsLongBall said:

How's your T-Ball team coming along?

My machine pitch team (6-7 year olds) got absolutely boat raced yesterday.  I think they stacked the infield, instead of rotating everyone though the infield, and this one kid was a damn vacuum; fielded everything hit at him and even threw out a runner from third. 

I try to genuinely get all my kids in every spot, but 3 of my 7 year olds, who should have more experience, are playing for the first time.  Frustrating watching the kids try to field ground balls by trapping it with their glove, and the opposing team just taking bases and pulling off triple plays

The first couple games were an adventure. I finally got some of the dads to get out on defense with the kids on Saturday and keep them from playing rugby and picking their noses. It went much better.

On 2/21/2017 at 10:54 AM, Blarg said:

If I had to guess that is covering all schools in the area for Easter break so there are no kids missing games because mom and dad took them to Disneyworld.

That is why we have the April break. The May break makes no sense. I was told it was a scheduling error and they're not correcting it. Good news though - no game on Derby day, @gotbeer

On 2/4/2017 at 8:42 AM, Adam said:

I'm coaching this season. Not sure how it happened. Wife didn't even want me to do it. No questions.

Maybe some Ts & Ps...

don't cuss at the kids and be prepared to deal with a couple asshole parents even in tball.

So are you hooked on it Adam?  I managed through Single A, and then switched to Assistant Coach.  Highly recommend it once you get past single A.  When you hit AA that's when parents start thinking little Johnny is the next Mike Trout and see scholarship $$ in their eyes.  Meanwhile little Johnny can't see, obviously needs glasses, and his bat is glued to his shoulder, but they aren't hearing it. (This is at it's worst in AA and tapers off in AAA, once they get into majors parents chill out a bit.  Most of the serious ones are playing travel ball at this point, and those coaches don't take any crap from parents, so they've learned their lesson).

Anyway, as an assistant, you get to coach, don't have to volunteer to be umpire (that's the worst), impart your knowledge, be out there with your kid, but you don't have to deal with the league politics and parents.  Win win!  In fact, I coach on two teams now, and have for a couple years.  It's brutal schedule-wise, and with my neck/spine issues it's a struggle, but I wouldn't trade it for anything.  Coaching on a Majors and AAA team now.  Sucks when they overlap, but honestly I really lucked out on the schedule.  Only 2 games the entire season conflict.

And if you ever get the chance to coach on an All-Star team, do it!  You'll lose your summer, but that was an absolute blast!

I hear you on the scheduling issue.  My AAA team has had exactly ONE practice since the season began on 2/25.  Their clerical error had us off the practice schedule and when we caught it they wouldn't fix it until the April schedule comes out.  I've been having the team over to my house to do tee work and soft toss since I have a couple bownets. Next week we have 3 games in one week, then we go 7 days without one.  So screwed up.  Good thing we have pitching depth!

And you can never have too much gear!  Over the years I've collected a ton of gear...nets, tees, etc.  If you ever need tips on what gear to get (type, brand, etc) hit me up!

• 3 weeks later...

Finally happened. Finally had a parent passive aggressively complain about where his kid was playing, where he was batting in the lineup. Hey Tanner, listen up, show up to help a practice for me one time and your request will carry a lot more water. Otherwise, you do what you do, which includes having me babysit your kid twice a week and forgetting your turn in the Snack rotation, and I'll do what I do

I help out the coaches during practice on my 7yo daughter's softball team. I coached first base for the first time last Saturday and it's funny because pretty much all the girls on this team have no clue about rules or strategy. If they actually hit the ball, and if the other team manages to field the ball, and if they manage to throw it accurately to first, and if the 1B actually catches the ball, I have to explain to the batter now standing at first that they're out, and now they have to go back to the dugout. One girl was really upset that I told her that and started to tear up. I don't know why but I felt so bad telling them to go back to the dugout.  

20 hours ago, Angel Dog and Beer said:

And girls softball is a trip with all their chants and cheers they constantly do during the game. My favorite, when a runner happens to get to third:

"Caydynce we miss you, we're running out of tissue... Come home! Come home!"

We need to use this at Angels games. "Andrewlton we miss you . . ."