• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Sick Lineup

notherhalo

What was crazy about the 2009 team, that was obviously the offseason Tex signed with New York, and while Kendrys was the favorite to get the starting gig, no one knew what he would do (obviously, he did amazing). Abreu was a very late signing (I remember the rumor being between him and Adam Dunn, Angels made the right choice), and then you had Vlad hurting his pectoral muscle early in the season. Torii had his best year of his career (would've been even better if he had stayed healthy). Maicer was one of the best bench players in the game, when healthy. 

Just one little snippet, Anderson wasn't with the Angels at that point. Juan Rivera was the primary left fielder (who had a pretty solid season, 25 dingers with a .810 OPS). That was the most balanced, best all-around lineup I've ever seen from an Angels team. The bullpen was their only downfall. 

wasn't this also the year where we fielded a team against the indians one night where every player playing that night had a batting average of .300+?

i was ironically at that game that night and feel like it was 2009, but i kind of also remember orlando cabrera playing, so i could be wrong.

Sick Lineup... and when I say Sick I mean it gave me Diarrhea 

Reggie Wiilits - CF
Kevin Frandsen - 3B
Hideki Matsui - DH
Juan Rivera - LF
Paul McAnulty - 1B
Robb Quinlan - RF
Jeff Mathis - C
Andrew Romine - 2B
Brandon Wood - SS

Scott Kazmir - Starting
Fernando Rodney - Closing

This 2010 Angels team actually finished better (80-82) than this years team 

#49 - Aug. 18, 2009: Nine Times .300

Angels3003.jpg

By Geoff Bilau - AngelsWin.com Senior Editor

In the top of the fifth inning of their Aug. 18 game at Jacobs Field in Cleveland, Angels catcher Mike Napoli smashed a line drive single into center field off Indians starter Fausto Carmona. It was Napoli's second hit of the game, lifting his batting average to .302.

And though Napoli popped up and struck out in his final two at-bats of the Angels 5-4 victory, his average at the game's conclusion was .300. While it's always noteworthy when a batter (especially a career .256 hitter) eclipses the magical .300 mark, this particular moment was altogether monumental. Napoli was just one of nine Angels hitters who finished that game with a batting average of .300 or better.300_lineup.jpg

It would last only those final four innings and the time leading up to the next day's game — Angels manager Mike Scioscia inserted .275 hitting Howie Kendrick for .300 hitting Izturis and Napoli flew out to left field after walking twice, dropping his average back to .299 — but it was historic, however fleeting as it may have been.

According to the Elias Sports Bureau, it marked the first time since 1934 that any Major League team at least 100 games into its season finished a game with every player in its starting lineup hitting .300 or better. Mickey Cochrane's Tigers accomplished the feat Sept. 9, 1934, against Boston — which was all the more impressive considering pitcher Lynwood "Schoolboy" Rowe and his .301 average was batting ninth. The Tigers lineup that day included four Hall of Famers (Cochrane, Hank Greenberg, Charlie Gehringer, Goose Goslin) and two All-Stars (Rowe, Gee Walker).

The Angels hitting heroics helped rookie starter Trevor Bell win his first Major League game — one that he and Angels fans won't soon forget.

4 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

First Abreu contract (2009) was genius.

Second one (2010-2012), not so much

He was amazing in 2009, good in 2010, and then yeah, his decline began. 

But anyone who says "they weren't a fan of Abreu" clearly didn't watch the 2009 team. Him and Figgy at the top of the lineup were incredible together. 

On Thursday, December 15, 2016 at 9:25 AM, nikkachez said:

What was crazy about the 2009 team, that was obviously the offseason Tex signed with New York, and while Kendrys was the favorite to get the starting gig, no one knew what he would do (obviously, he did amazing). Abreu was a very late signing (I remember the rumor being between him and Adam Dunn, Angels made the right choice), and then you had Vlad hurting his pectoral muscle early in the season. Torii had his best year of his career (would've been even better if he had stayed healthy). Maicer was one of the best bench players in the game, when healthy. 

Just one little snippet, Anderson wasn't with the Angels at that point. Juan Rivera was the primary left fielder (who had a pretty solid season, 25 dingers with a .810 OPS). That was the most balanced, best all-around lineup I've ever seen from an Angels team. The bullpen was their only downfall. 

2009 was the best Angel team to overcome the adversity they did, with a .500 record on June 8, to finish with 97 wins.  I was angry when the Yankees with Teixeira beat them for the pennant.  

You want sick? My first Angels game I attended as an 8 year old on July 31, 1976

Dave Collins .268

Jerry Remy .266

Bobby Bonds .261

Tony Solaita .276

Bill Melton .198

Bruce Bochte .255

Mario Guerrero .263

Ron Jackson .233

Andy Etchebarren .220

Team leader in HR & RBI for the ENTIRE season was Bobby Bonds with 10 HR & 54 RBI!!!

On 12/15/2016 at 8:06 AM, Jig Stew said:

Reggie Wiilits - CF
Kevin Frandsen - 3B
Hideki Matsui - DH
Juan Rivera - LF
Paul McAnulty - 1B
Robb Quinlan - RF
Jeff Mathis - C
Andrew Romine - 2B
Brandon Wood - SS

Scott Kazmir - Starting

This FTW

On 12/15/2016 at 10:06 AM, Jig Stew said:

Reggie Wiilits - CF
Kevin Frandsen - 3B
Hideki Matsui - DH
Juan Rivera - LF
Paul McAnulty - 1B
Robb Quinlan - RF
Jeff Mathis - C
Andrew Romine - 2B
Brandon Wood - SS

Scott Kazmir - Starting

Dear God, I haven't thought of Robb Quinlan in forever.