• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Exercise Bike Recommendations

Adam

buy a used one. exercise equipment can be found barely used and cheap online from people who bought for NY resolutions and never touched them.

or get one of those Pelotons i see all the time on facebook. its like $2-3k upfront, plus monthly costs for the classes. crazy. buy a used bike and a cheap tablet and subscribe to classes on youtube. 

or check out classpass and hit up spinning classes.

I have this one:

http://www.sears.com/body-power-brt6300-3-in-1-trio-trainertm/p-00620349000P?plpSellerId=Sears&prdNo=30&blockNo=30&blockType=G30

But I don't really like it as a bike, I only really use it as an elliptical. Wicked is right though.  Go and try a few out in store and see which one you like and then search for it on craigslist.  It wont take long to find one you want and you will save a lot of money. 

Most exercise equipment goes unused. I've been in PT for my ankles and resolved to use the exercise bike at home for 20 minutes a day. I had to dust the thing off and adjust a few things because it had been sitting unused for over a decade, my wife wanted it and used it maybe five times.

It is really basic and doesn't have anything more tech than a simple readout of time, distance, calories and pulse rate that only works sometimes and a mechanical dial for changing tension. It doesn't matter since I cover theverything readout up with a tablet and watch Bill Burr youtubes or read.

Yeah, it's not a specific fat burning workout nor is it packing on the muscle. I use it mostly to warm up the tendons to do my other specific exercises for the ankles but even at that it is building a little more endurance for the thighs and I get the heart beating.

You sound like you are gearing up for a resolution promise that may fade by March so follow mrwickeds advice and buy used on ebay. That way it is a lot less expensive dust catcher.

Make sure you want a bike and not like a treadmill or stairclimber thing.  I find stationary bikes to be very boring.  Part of it might be because I have a hard time reading on a bike.  Then again, that is probably true on a stair climber or a treadmill also.

Fuck it.  screw the bike and spend the money at the track instead.

1 hour ago, Blarg said:

Most exercise equipment goes unused. I've been in PT for my ankles and resolved to use the exercise bike at home for 20 minutes a day. I had to dust the thing off and adjust a few things because it had been sitting unused for over a decade, my wife wanted it and used it maybe five times.

It is really basic and doesn't have anything more tech than a simple readout of time, distance, calories and pulse rate that only works sometimes and a mechanical dial for changing tension. It doesn't matter since I cover theverything readout up with a tablet and watch Bill Burr youtubes or read.

Yeah, it's not a specific fat burning workout nor is it packing on the muscle. I use it mostly to warm up the tendons to do my other specific exercises for the ankles but even at that it is building a little more endurance for the thighs and I get the heart beating.

You sound like you are gearing up for a resolution promise that may fade by March so follow mrwickeds advice and buy used on ebay. That way it is a lot less expensive dust catcher.

Haha nah no resolution. I have an elliptical and I hate it

I know this is super outside of the box thinking, but just buy a bike.

If I remember correctly, you live in Irvine or at least South County. There are plenty of bike trails that are flat and can get you all the way to the beach without much riding on the road.

You get to be outside, get some vitamin D. Lots of things to look at and places to gonto vary the workout. Hell, ride to the store for beer.

Then, if you want, spend a couple hundred bucks and buy a stationary trainer to put your bike on and pedal away without leaving the house. Best of both worlds.

If you really want a workout, go fixed geared (just not a hipster piece of crap bike) and get a crazy workout since you can either go single speed (no gears) or fixed (no gears and pedals move if the wheels move, no coasting)

Riding bikes is fun. Stationary bikes are boring. Think of it like a woman. Do you want one that moves and takes you places or one that just lays there?

6 minutes ago, Sully151 said:

I know this is super outside of the box thinking, but just buy a bike.

If I remember correctly, you live in Irvine or at least South County. There are plenty of bike trails that are flat and can get you all the way to the beach without much riding on the road.

You get to be outside, get some vitamin D. Lots of things to look at and places to gonto vary the workout. Hell, ride to the store for beer.

Then, if you want, spend a couple hundred bucks and buy a stationary trainer to put your bike on and pedal away without leaving the house. Best of both worlds.

If you really want a workout, go fixed geared (just not a hipster piece of crap bike) and get a crazy workout since you can either go single speed (no gears) or fixed (no gears and pedals move if the wheels move, no coasting)

Riding bikes is fun. Stationary bikes are boring. Think of it like a woman. Do you want one that moves and takes you places or one that just lays there?

I have one.

So here's the deal. We've got jobs and little kids and we really can't work out during the week until 8:30pm or so. I'm sick of paying for the gym when the equipment kinda sucks, the TVs suck. The weights are usually full. Wanna do my own thing. We're converting our garage into a gym. I have a lot of the stuff but I've been wanting a bike for a while. I hate cardio. So boring. But the exercise bike is my favorite. I can read or watch TV without much issue. 

Don't know if they still make them but the Lifecycle was hands down the best exercise bike I ever used. Had a nice hill climb program, one of three or four you could choose from, and it made the workout a lot more interesting as well as intense. Highly recommend it.

Adam do you have a Planet Fitness near you? 

Lots of folks refer to it as a pussy type gym, and in a way I kind of agree, but you know what? I checked it out one time on the suggestion from a buddy and signed up that day. For $10 a month they have tons of cardio machines that are always open. I use the treadmills, elliptical, stair stepper, and bikes -- never have to wait. They have all the dumbbells and other machines you need to get in a pretty good work out. The only thing they don't have which isn't really a big deal to me is a standard bench press, it's a smith machine instead. But there's a lot less douchebag 24 Hour gym type guys. None of that grunting or yelling. The Planet Fitness' near me are open 24/7, they're nice and clean, and the TV's don't suck. However, typically when I'm doing cardio I watch a movie or listen to something on my phone anyway. 

Plus it might just be me, but when I actually "go to the gym" I find myself working out a lot harder than I would if I had the machines and weights at home. 

Just a suggestion before you go out spending thousands on a garage gym that may eventually become unused. I've seen it time and time again. 

On 12/6/2016 at 1:46 PM, mtangelsfan said:

Honestly dude, I have lost almost 80 pounds simply walking.  You live in SoCal dude.  Go outside and ride a bike or walk.

I know you were messing, but on an honest note I used to run outside, but found that the concrete was super rough on my knees. Also, unless you have a park or concrete river or something close, I found when I ran on the street the cars going by would make it feel like I was inhaling smog. Not to mention I was breathing SUPER DEEP and intense because of my running, probably not the best environment for that. 

On 12/6/2016 at 10:32 AM, mrwicked said:

buy a used one. exercise equipment can be found barely used and cheap online from people who bought for NY resolutions and never touched them.

or get one of those Pelotons i see all the time on facebook. its like $2-3k upfront, plus monthly costs for the classes. crazy. buy a used bike and a cheap tablet and subscribe to classes on youtube. 

or check out classpass and hit up spinning classes.

A couple of my friends have Pelotons and they love them. I plan on picking one up on Craigslist in about 6 months. 

• 4 months later...
8 minutes ago, LuisJenn said:

If your idea of a good exercise doesn't include going off to the gym, then a home Exercise Bike is the thing for you. 

And if you don't want to spend too much. Try finding it on websites selling used.. but still good ones.

Thanks for creating an account at 4:30AM and using your first post on the site to make a relatively vague recommendation on a 5 month old thread.

cheers!

2 hours ago, Adam said:

Thanks for creating an account at 4:30AM and using your first post on the site to make a relatively vague recommendation on a 5 month old thread.

cheers!

I think the member suffers from gender indentification issues considering the screen name.