• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Dear Arte

eligrba

55 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

If we are playing the waiting game, waiting on the farm to produce the talent needed to make this a legitimate contender then we will be waiting until after Trout leaves.

If we build a sustainable winner without Trout like the 2002-2009 teams I'd be fine with that. I could see trading Trout and building a team like the young Yankee teams of the late 90's. Those teams had some great playoff runs and the Steinbrenners added pieces when needed along the way. But we can't even catch a wild card so why would Arte want to add pieces to an already poorly constructed team. 

6 minutes ago, CALZONE said:

If we build a sustainable winner without Trout like the 2002-2009 teams I'd be fine with that. I could see trading Trout and building a team like the young Yankee teams of the late 90's. Those teams had some great playoff runs and the Steinbrenners added pieces when needed along the way. But we can't even catch a wild card so why would Arte want to add pieces to an already poorly constructed team. 

If Arte wants to rebuild then he has to rebuild. That means 100 loss seasons, no 3 million fans, lower revenue, likely trading Trout. If Arte doesn't want to do that then we are stuck with the status quo for the foreseeable future.

3 minutes ago, CALZONE said:

Do you know how high the payroll was from 2004-2009? Spending is not the issue. It's dumb spending while completely ignoring the farm system. Also system decimating trades in failed attempts to compete.

23 minutes ago, CALZONE said:

Yet there are still people who expect Arte to spend stupid money like a drunken sailor on players like Greinke. 

No one expects it.  We just have no issues if he does it to try to improve the team.  You have issues with that.  It isn't a hard concept to understand.  

10 minutes ago, CALZONE said:

Well the simple answer is you add pieces to build a better constructed team.  

10 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Well the simple answer is you add pieces to build a better constructed team.  

Well it's always easy to spend someone else's money. 

I think it's better that you hold the players you have accountable. You suck, You sit. Enough of this "he's scuffling right now......he's working through a few things" but he's in the lineup today. 

2 minutes ago, CALZONE said:

Well it's always easy to spend someone else's money. 

I think it's better that you hold the players you have accountable. You suck, You sit. Enough of this "he's scuffling right now......he's working through a few things" but he's in the lineup today. 

Which means a total of dick if you have worse players sitting on the bench than those that are scuffling.  We have guys like Choi on our bench who isn't better than any starter anywhere. 

17 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

Do you know how high the payroll was from 2004-2009? Spending is not the issue. It's dumb spending while completely ignoring the farm system. Also system decimating trades in failed attempts to compete.

Well there's a reason why we have a protected pick. We have players like Trout, Pujols, Calhoun, Weaver, Shoemaker, Simmons, Escobar, Cron, Richards, Skaggs, Heaney, Street, Bandy and the Greatest Manager on the planet.

Even on our worse year we should've at the very least catch a wild card. 

I just think we should let Eppler build the team at his own pace. Asking Arte to speed up the process by creating more long term crap contracts is bad business. 

24 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Which means a total of dick if you have worse players sitting on the bench than those that are scuffling.  We have guys like Choi on our bench who isn't better than any starter anywhere. 

It's tough to fill a productive 25 man roster when you have players like Wilson, Weaver, Pujols and Hamilton eating $90M of the budget. How much true production did Arte get for $90M?

So with all of Arte's passion to win he spent millions on players and expected to win championships. What he ended up getting in return was one of the most expensive protected draft picks in MLB history. 

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

So if Eppler spends money then he is doing it because that's his pace or will you blame it on us fans?  

I don't see him spending like the Dipoto era. I think he will concentrate on affordable value and youth. Maybe the plan is not to keep Trout and trade him in 2019. He could get a ton of prospects in return and not commit to spending $400M just to keep one player. 

10 minutes ago, Stradling said:

If he wanted to win championships he shouldn't have ignored the other half of running an organization.  He'd be in a much better place as an owner.  

I have a real hard time looking at Arte as a victim in this scenario.  

Well Strad, "we the fans" condoned all this at the time and chanted "thank you Arte"and "thank you Jerry"

Arte was duped into believing in players that didn't deliver. I think the only joy Arte has now is his yacht. Good for him.

image.jpeg

1 hour ago, CALZONE said:

It's tough to fill a productive 25 man roster when you have players like Wilson, Weaver, Pujols and Hamilton eating $90M of the budget. How much true production did Arte get for $90M?

So with all of Arte's passion to win he spent millions on players and expected to win championships. What he ended up getting in return was one of the most expensive protected draft picks in MLB history. 

The Angels are in better financial position than 2/3rds of MLB franchises.

1 hour ago, CALZONE said:

Well Strad, "we the fans" condoned all this at the time and chanted "thank you Arte"and "thank you Jerry"

Arte was duped into believing in players that didn't deliver. I think the only joy Arte has now is his yacht. Good for him.

image.jpeg

You say that like it means anything at all.  Fans like big signings, as you've pointed out countless times, they don't care what the fans want.  If you want to shit on what fans want then you are probably in the wrong place.  

1 minute ago, CALZONE said:

Yes and they're also one of the top spending teams in baseball. 

Realistically, the Astros and the Cubs and probably the Yankees are the only two teams I can think of off the top of my head in better financial position than the Angels. The difference is those teams have better farm systems.

1 minute ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

Realistically, the Astros and the Cubs and probably the Yankees are the only two teams I can think of off the top of my head in better financial position than the Angels. The difference is those teams have better farm systems.

Well I'm willing to bet that since Arte bought the team, he's never made one single selection in any draft. He trusted his baseball people to do that. Remember that I was very disappointed the day that they hired Dipoto. I wanted Arte to shift gears and hire a real President of Baseball Operations type that would hire his own GM to make all the player personnel decisions. I spoke loudly about it because of the Scioscia / Mathis / Napoli meddling. Huge mistake hiring a novice to build a team. Stealth, Jedi really? Were we that gullible? Look at us now.

23 minutes ago, CALZONE said:

Well I'm willing to bet that since Arte bought the team, he's never made one single selection in any draft. He trusted his baseball people to do that. Remember that I was very disappointed the day that they hired Dipoto. I wanted Arte to shift gears and hire a real President of Baseball Operations type that would hire his own GM to make all the player personnel decisions. I spoke loudly about it because of the Scioscia / Mathis / Napoli meddling. Huge mistake hiring a novice to build a team. Stealth, Jedi really? Were we that gullible? Look at us now.

Obviously that is the realm of speculation. Amateur signings have been terrible across the board, but the team didn't seem focused on those areas either. Budget allocation under DiPoto and Reagins was abhorrent. It had nothing to do with the amount of money spent and everything to do with how it was spent. Spending less does not improve the franchise, spending better will.