• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

What (if anything) would make you no longer be a fan?

zenmaster

Is there anything that could happen to the Angels or that the Angels could do that would no longer make you a fan of the team? 

Trading Trout for prospects to Dodgers or Yankees?
Selling the team?
Moving to a new location? 

What, if anything, would do it for you? Or are you in it for the long haul no matter what?

I thought I'd be a lifelong Rams fan until John Shaw & Georgia Frontiere essentially decided to ruin the team in order to move it.  I think I'll always be an Angels fan but certain things I would consider a betrayal, such as not working in good faith to keep the team within the greater LA region.  I can handle mediocrity by moderating the amount of time I spend watching & reading about them, but it would really take something extraordinary by ownership for me to flip the switch.  Still can't turn the Rams switch back on, nor the NFL for that matter.

If Scioscia gets any new extension I'm done. If they traded Trout for a ton of talented good prospects I'd be fine with that. 

If Stradling takes over as GM I'm done. He would spend like a drunken sailor. 

I actually want this team to build a nice foundation of youthful athletic players instead of investing in these yesteryear station to station players that other teams have cut loose.

8 minutes ago, CALZONE said:

If Scioscia gets any new extension I'm done. If they traded Trout for a ton of talented good prospects I'd be fine with that. 

If Stradling takes over as GM I'm done. He would spend like a drunken sailor. 

I actually want this team to build a nice foundation of youthful athletic players instead of investing in these yesteryear station to station players that other teams have cut lose.

Yes, I would spend, because I would have to in order to stay competitive, especially taking over such a lousy farm and a bunch of one dimensional players.  

I do agree with you that this team has too many one dimensional players.  It is ok to have one of them.  But we have Albert, Escobar, Cron, Marte, Choi, hell at least Cowart can play D and is athletic, he just hasn't shown the ability to hit.  

For me it would come down to contraction, that is about it.  I root for the players and the team, not the owner.  I would be horribly hurt if they moved the team out of state, but I don't think I would stop being a fan.  I would just be a fan that doesn't go to a lot of games, not unlike this year.  This team is my hobby, it is what I have enjoyed since I was very young, so over 40 years now.  Sure some years have sucked, but I am wired to look at things from a positive light.  So even in years where they were awful growing up, for the most part I could look at the young guys.  This last year was tough, but I still probably watched 120 games on TV.  

5 minutes ago, Stradling said:

For me it would come down to contraction, that is about it.  I root for the players and the team, not the owner.  I would be horribly hurt if they moved the team out of state, but I don't think I would stop being a fan.  I would just be a fan that doesn't go to a lot of games, not unlike this year.  This team is my hobby, it is what I have enjoyed since I was very young, so over 40 years now.  Sure some years have sucked, but I am wired to look at things from a positive light.  So even in years where they were awful growing up, for the most part I could look at the young guys.  This last year was tough, but I still probably watched 120 games on TV.  

So you would root for the Montreal Angels? :P

Yea, I probably would.  I guess I would struggle if they went down to Mexico, because I don't ever plan on going back to Mexico. I have heard great things about Montreal, and will try and vacation up there in the next few years.  If I do I will hit you up so you can give me the run down.  

1 minute ago, Jay said:

The only reason I'm a fan of the team in the first place is they are my home team.

If they move they are no longer my home team and therefore I would no longer be a fan.

Simple. I don't have time to be a fan of teams in other cities that I rarely if ever visit.

Jay, the Dodger fan.  

1 hour ago, Junkballer said:

I thought I'd be a lifelong Rams fan until John Shaw & Georgia Frontiere essentially decided to ruin the team in order to move it.  I think I'll always be an Angels fan but certain things I would consider a betrayal, such as not working in good faith to keep the team within the greater LA region.  I can handle mediocrity by moderating the amount of time I spend watching & reading about them, but it would really take something extraordinary by ownership for me to flip the switch.  Still can't turn the Rams switch back on, nor the NFL for that matter.

This.

I was a life long Ram fan until they left and over time I slowly lost interest in the NFL.

I've also been unable to turn the Ram switch back on.

3 minutes ago, Angels#1Fan said:

This.

I was a life long Ram fan until they left and over time I slowly lost interest in the NFL.

I've also yet to be able to turn the Ram switch back on.

I felt exactly the same way. I was really big into football, but was so jaded when the Rams left, that I completed lost interest and no longer watched any football games during the regular season. I would only watch the Superbowl.

My son is a big Rams fan and he's been trying to get me into watching the games again.  I'm just not there yet, but maybe over time it will come back.....maybe.

Change the name of the team, without moving.  Include the phrase "...of xxx" in the name, opening it for decades of ridicule.  Make sure you change the name two years after winning the World Series.

Buy aging has-beens, and tout their glory in their better days in other uniforms, as a selling point.

Do absolutely nothing to improve the in-game experience, resulting in a stale, dated stadium product.

Sour the relationship with the current city in which you reside, resulting in a complete stalemate in making any progress towards new stadium or improvements.

I do not have nearly the love for football that I once had.  I have been to less than 10 games in my life and I never saw the Rams play here in Anaheim because I thought tickets were too expensive.  Plus by the time I could afford it, I had a family to support.  I did get to see the Rams two years ago in Phoenix.  

1 minute ago, yk9001 said:

Change the name of the team, without moving.  Include the phrase "...of xxx" in the name, opening it for decades of ridicule.  Make sure you change the name two years after winning the World Series.

Buy aging has-beens, and tout their glory in their better days in other uniforms, as a selling point.

Do absolutely nothing to improve the in-game experience, resulting in a stale, dated stadium product.

Sour the relationship with the current city in which you reside, resulting in a complete stalemate in making any progress towards new stadium or improvements.

So if you want to know my general outlook on things, look at the exact opposite of this.  

I'd love it if they moved to Portland and became the Pioneers (or Hipsters or Baristas), but I've never lived in SoCal and lived in Portland for ten years. So that would be a big plus for me.

But in order to actually say, "you're dead to me" to the franchise, they'd have to trade Trout, and that trade would have to go poorly. If they traded him for a bucket of prospects who became the nucleus of the next great Angels team, I could come back. But if they traded him and got only a moderate or worse return, I'd have a hard time letting it go.

Oh yeah, I probably couldn't live with Baby Seal Smashing Day, or whatnot, at the ballpark.