• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Kenny, Rosenthal and O’Dowd each prefer Trout for AL MVP

AngelsWin.com

Betts will probably lose some votes to Ortiz, so that hurts him. Altuve has slowed down and has seen his formerly astronomical .360ish BA turn into a still-great-but-terrestrial .330ish. Donaldson has also dropped his production. Machado is back in the mix. Trout is not only hampered by playing on the Angels, but he is unlikely to reach 100 RBI and the voters won't like that. If he reaches 30 HR and 100 RBI, his chances are boosted.

Anyhow, it really is up for grabs. While Trout should win, and I think he has a good chance of it, it really isn't clear who will take it home (unlike the NL).

24 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Betts will probably lose some votes to Ortiz, so that hurts him. Altuve has slowed down and has seen his formerly astronomical .360ish BA turn into a still-great-but-terrestrial .330ish. Donaldson has also dropped his production. Machado is back in the mix. Trout is not only hampered by playing on the Angels, but he is unlikely to reach 100 RBI and the voters won't like that. If he reaches 30 HR and 100 RBI, his chances are boosted.

Anyhow, it really is up for grabs. While Trout should win, and I think he has a good chance of it, it really isn't clear who will take it home (unlike the NL).

i agree, if he reaches 30-100, he will have a much better chance. he will need a monster game somewhere down the line.

he reached 10 WAR already

31 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

It is odd how different WAR systems are. He's at 8.7 in Fangraphs' version, basically because Fangraphs version see his defense as essentially average while BR sees it as good to very good.

This is where I have an issue with Fangraphs. 

55 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

It is odd how different WAR systems are. He's at 8.7 in Fangraphs' version, basically because Fangraphs version see his defense as essentially average while BR sees it as good to very good.

Fangraphs WAR is a lot better, but BR tends to prefer Trout so that's fine with me!

9 minutes ago, Oz27 said:

Fangraphs WAR is a lot better, but BR tends to prefer Trout so that's fine with me!

I've heard mixed opinions on which one is better from the experts. I'll go with BR's since they value Trout's D more than Fangraphs, which is a no brainer IMO. 

1 minute ago, Chuckster70 said:

I've heard mixed opinions on which one is better from the experts. I'll go with BR's since they value Trout's D more than Fangraphs, which is a no brainer IMO. 

They both have flaws and sometimes I still look at a player on either one and just think "that's not right". For example, Fangraphs has Ricky Nolasco as a better than 2 WAR pitcher and that seems awfully generous. I prefer Fangraphs' way of calculating oWAR and pitcher WAR but Baseball-Reference uses defensive runs saved for dWAR and that is probably the most accurate one. You get some serious outliers doing it that way though and that's the problem with it. In reality, no defensive WAR calculation is perfect or even close to it but some of the stuff MLB Advanced Media is doing with the Statcast data means we'll have a much better idea of a player's defensive value pretty soon.

Just now, Oz27 said:

They both have flaws and sometimes I still look at a player on either one and just think "that's not right". For example, Fangraphs has Ricky Nolasco as a better than 2 WAR pitcher and that seems awfully generous. I prefer Fangraphs' way of calculating oWAR and pitcher WAR but Baseball-Reference uses defensive runs saved for dWAR and that is probably the most accurate one. You get some serious outliers doing it that way though and that's the problem with it. In reality, no defensive WAR calculation is perfect or even close to it but some of the stuff MLB Advanced Media is doing with the Statcast data means we'll have a much better idea of a player's defensive value pretty soon.

They should just join forces and have one universal WAR. :)

Bottom line is Trout has the best numbers across the board.   

The arguments against him being the MVP are ludicrous.  JP Morosi yesterday gave Betts credit for being a great right fielder that moved from second base. Maybe he is a great right fielder, but who cares how he got there?  I'm much more interested in the value provided by a CF vs a RF.