• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Kenny, Rosenthal and O’Dowd each prefer Trout for AL MVP

AngelsWin.com

photo TroutMVP_zpsnfdmphfv.png

MLB Network’s Brian Kenny “Digging Into The Data” on yesterday’s “MLB Now” broke down the MVP candidacy of Mike Trout.

In the clip, insider Ken Rosenthal and analyst Dan O’Dowd discuss Trout at length:

Rosenthal said, “I don’t have an MVP vote this year, but I have an opinion. My opinion is that I prefer my MVP to come from a contender, prefer, doesn’t have to be an absolute. Yet in this case, I don’t see a clear standout candidate among the others, they’re all good, really good. But none of them except for [Manny] Machado is having a monster September. You look at the overall statistics and Trout is the best.”

O’Dowd said, “All things being equal, it’d be great to give it to somebody who has helped his team get into Postseason. But all things aren’t equal. This player is so much better this year than anybody else competing for the award. It would be a crime if he doesn’t get it.”

9ms_Y2NKWBs

View the full article

11 minutes ago, CALZONE said:

Rosenthal said, “I don’t have an MVP vote this year......

Thanks for checking in.

Selective reading...

Rosenthal said, “I don’t have an MVP vote this year, but I have an opinion. My opinion is that I prefer my MVP to come from a contender, prefer, doesn’t have to be an absolute. Yet in this case, I don’t see a clear standout candidate among the others, they’re all good, really good. But none of them except for [Manny] Machado is having a monster September. You look at the overall statistics and Trout is the best.”

Betts has been awful this month and his OPS is now below .900. I realize that's only one statistic and overall he's been fantastic but if he continues to hit like he has in September then I don't see how you can possibly give it to him. 

IMO it's between Trout and Donaldson again. If Trout can pull a rabbit out of his ass and get to 30/30 he should be the obvious choice.

22 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Selective reading...

Rosenthal said, “I don’t have an MVP vote this year, but I have an opinion. My opinion is that I prefer my MVP to come from a contender, prefer, doesn’t have to be an absolute. Yet in this case, I don’t see a clear standout candidate among the others, they’re all good, really good. But none of them except for [Manny] Machado is having a monster September. You look at the overall statistics and Trout is the best.”

Didn't the bow tie guy arrantly report that Puig angrily stormed off the field at Dodgers Stadium when he was told that he was being traded or demoted only to find out later that Puig wasn't even at the stadium that day. He later had to apologize for that BS story. Rosenthal is not the best source for MLB news. I would like to know what Heyman thinks about the MVP race.  

2 minutes ago, CALZONE said:

Didn't the bow tie guy arrantly report that Puig angrily stormed off the field at Dodgers Stadium when he was told that he was being traded or demoted only to find out later that Puig wasn't even at the stadium that day. He later had to apologize for that BS story. Rosenthal is not the best source for MLB news. I would like to know what Heyman thinks about the MVP race.  

These guys all make mistakes, but Rosenthal has been around the game for a long time. I respect all of their opinions. 

Don't let me bust out the Heyman tweet that I caught before he deleted it re: Tony Reagins. :)

I like Betts and Donaldson, but the lineup protection those two have compared to Trout is a joke. 

I say it's between Trout and Altuve, though if Altuve's slide continues and Trout has a nice final week of the season, I think it's Trout's to lose.

Ortiz and Betts kind of cancel each other out too, being that they're on the same team. Right?

19 minutes ago, totdprods said:

I don't know, with all the Big Papi love I see him being quite a threat for MVP. He's having a good enough season for writers to justify their vote.

A DH has never won the award. There's a first time for everything but it's nearly impossible to justify.

1 hour ago, tdawg87 said:

A DH has never won the award. There's a first time for everything but it's nearly impossible to justify.

Oh I know, but you know how these things go sometimes. It will be interesting because it's obvious there's becoming schisms in the MVP-voting ranks - some old school stats, some advanced stats, some believe best overall, some strictly stick to someone from a contender...all it takes is one player fluking into a majority to win and with these lines being drawn more clearly in the sand.

The Rosenthal and O'Dowd quotes both support the view that Donaldson was a worthy choice last year, which I agree with. But they also support the view that if Trout doesn't get the award this year it would be borderline criminal. He's really solidly better than everyone else.

Now if Altuve, Betts, Donaldson, or Machado get really get and Trout slumps, that would be a different matter. There's still 15ish games to play.