• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Justice department says it will end private prisons

All this does is prevent businesses from making money off of over-criminalization and mass incarceration, which is fine. When the government is your client you're not really a private company. The public prisons will be overcrowded again and the prisoners will still be prisoners. 

1 hour ago, Adam said:

All this does is prevent businesses from making money off of over-criminalization and mass incarceration, which is fine. When the government is your client you're not really a private company. The public prisons will be overcrowded again and the prisoners will still be prisoners. 

But it keeps private prison companies from lobbying against bills to legalize weed.  They are major contributors.  They also were the driving force behind mandatory minimums.

1 hour ago, nate said:

But it keeps private prison companies from lobbying against bills to legalize weed.  They are major contributors.  They also were the driving force behind mandatory minimums.

If this means that non-violent crime sentences are reduced or reformed the. Fantastic. But people are stupid and want to be "safe". I seriously doubt this leads to that. This is just lefty anti-rich guy bullshit. Hope I'm wrong

As a long time prison system employee, I concede that my opinion is not fully objective. That said, aside from the fact that more available prisons encourage increased incarceration, private facilities simply don't do as good a job overall as government-built facilities. The prison where I worked for eight years until last fall was built and originally operated by a private prison company. The salaries that they paid correctional officers were about a third less than the state paid, their screening was far less rigorous, and the results were obvious. There were constant issues with officers getting involved with inmates (one of my first tasks when I arrived was to oversee the pregnancy testing of every inmate under age 50), and they were not properly trained to work with inmates. In the overall design of the place, inadequacies abound. Blind spots are everywhere, and there is no flow to the design. It was clearly designed to be built as cheaply as possible rather than to be functional.

did you guys read the article? 

"While experts said the directive is significant, privately run federal prisons house only a fraction of the overall population of inmates. The vast majority of the incarcerated in America are housed in state prisons — rather than federal ones — and Yates’ memo does not apply to any of those, even the ones that are privately run. Nor does it apply to Immigration and Customs Enforcement and U.S. Marshals Service detainees, who are technically in the federal system but not under the purview of the federal Bureau of Prisons.

The directive is instead limited to the 13 privately run facilities, housing a little more than 22,000 inmates, in the federal Bureau of Prisons system. "