• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Mathis

Just watched the last several innings of the Marlins' 8-7 loss to San Francisco in 14 innings. By the end of the game, there were more Giants fans in the park than Marlins fans, or at least they were louder. The game got so boring toward the end, the camera crew kept cutting back to the bartender at The Clevelander putting away liquor bottles.

I suppose that a bar named after Cleveland in a park in Miami makes as much sense as anything else about that franchise. What a waste of a new ballpark.

At least I got to see crooked hat pitch the top of the ninth.

5 hours ago, Vegas Halo Fan said:

Just watched the last several innings of the Marlins' 8-7 loss to San Francisco in 14 innings. By the end of the game, there were more Giants fans in the park than Marlins fans, or at least they were louder. The game got so boring toward the end, the camera crew kept cutting back to the bartender at The Clevelander putting away liquor bottles.

I suppose that a bar named after Cleveland in a park in Miami makes as much sense as anything else about that franchise. What a waste of a new ballpark.

At least I got to see crooked hat pitch the top of the ninth.

LOL....  I never thought about how that might come across to people not in Miami -- but you're right -- it does seem inane... 

Anyway The Clevelander is named after the famous hotel/club on Ocean Blvd in South Beach..    The hotel was first named The Clevelander, because the family was from Cleveland OH...   It's been a party place in Miami since the 1940s and the site of quite a few TV shows like MTVs' The Grind - pretty much every MTV show with a pool party scene is modeled after the pool at the Clevelander.  Basically, it's one of the centerpieces of South Beach's art-deco and party scenes..  

1 hour ago, Inside Pitch said:

LOL....  I never thought about how that might come across to people not in Miami -- but you're right -- it does seem inane... 

Anyway The Clevelander is named after the famous hotel/club on Ocean Blvd in South Beach..    The hotel was first named The Clevelander, because the family was from Cleveland OH...   It's been a party place in Miami since the 1940s and the site of quite a few TV shows like MTVs' The Grind - pretty much every MTV show with a pool party scene is modeled after the pool at the Clevelander.  Basically, it's one of the centerpieces of South Beach's art-deco and party scenes..  

We need a little Miami Vice back story from Downing Rules to go with this...

1 hour ago, Inside Pitch said:

Pretty much everyone who ever posted on AW.com during the Mathis/Napoli era.

I miss that era so much. The Angels were winning division titles & the Rangers were punks who finished in 2nd place.

When Vladdy killed every Rangers pitcher without even looking, when K-Rod would make things interesting in the 9th before striking out the side. When Saunders would get those magic GIDPs to end the inning, when the Royals, Astros, Pirates, Nationals sucked & every contending team could count on the Royals to bend over & get swept in the season.

17 minutes ago, Scioscia4MVP said:

I miss that era so much. The Angels were winning division titles & the Rangers were punks who finished in 2nd place.

When Vladdy killed every Rangers pitcher without even looking, when K-Rod would make things interesting in the 9th before striking out the side. When Saunders would get those magic GIDPs to end the inning, when the Royals, Astros, Pirates, Nationals sucked & every contending team could count on the Royals to bend over & get swept in the season.

And we were all 40 pounds lighter.

On 8/8/2016 at 9:00 PM, Dochalo said:

Mathis has 9.012 yrs of service time.  When he gets to 10 years, he'll qualify for the pension plan where he'll receive a minimum of 100k per year when he retires.  

I mentioned that this past off season when we were making fun of him. Regardless of how easy of a target he is, you have to give the guy credit. Fwiw, guys ive talked to praise him...literally. who knows what the hell it is. But pitchers and pitching coaches love the guy.

On 8/8/2016 at 9:00 PM, Dochalo said:

Mathis has 9.012 yrs of service time.  When he gets to 10 years, he'll qualify for the pension plan where he'll receive a minimum of 100k per year when he retires.  

Perhaps I've been influenced by the rabid leftists in my office but it seems that the pensions should be for the guys who weren't able to make it to 10 years.  If you've made, at minimum, from 327k (2006) to 507k (2016) for 10 years your retirement account should be bursting at the seams even when jock taxes and agent fees are accounted for.

(/hijack)