• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Should the Angels pursue Yasiel Puig?

I don't buy into the roids accusations (sorry Blarg) ... the guy is still very strong and very fast. I think the league exploited his weaknesses. 

I don't get the Guillen comparisons. That guy was a frickin hothead time bomb ... that exploded on Scioscia. I think Puig is just a immature gifted player from a third world country. Puig's problem is he's a disruption to the team and a cry baby. 

I wouldn't trade for him with so much outfield talent in free agency this off season. 

49 minutes ago, hangin n wangin said:

Hate Puig or not, even when he's playing at his worst (which he probably is right now), he is better than anything we have in left field or have had in left field in a long time and would be a significant upgrade. He is a bargain for his contract.

At least for 2016, Marte has been the better player from an OPS standpoint, granted Puig has more at bats.   Puig has a good arm, but also butchers some plays in the OF.

2 minutes ago, hangin n wangin said:

I understand that. And this is like the disagreement I had with Lou.

There is no way I would take Marte over Puig from a pure baseball stand point.

I see your point.   It was just more comparing 2016 results between the two players.   It does show how far Puig has fallen. 

1 hour ago, Blarg said:

There is only one guy younger than Baldoquin on the 66ers roster. There are only 3 other guys his age so I think it would be fair to say he hasn't busted quite yet. It was a shit signing by Dipoto but there may be something there to work with.

Yes, maybe a bit harsh on Baldoquin but if he's struggling so much why didn't the Angels move him down a level so he'd be playing with age appropriate players? 

Plus the $8M signing really tied up the Angels from signing other latin players.

And his non-development cost the Angels their top two minor league pitchers to find a replacement at shortstop...if you remember that Dipoto said he'd replace Aybar in 2018.

Bottom line I don't want to see Puig...Yunnel Escobar is enough.  Give me a team of Kole Calhouns and Erstad type players !!!

1 hour ago, Angels#1Fan said:

Puig would be a desperation move just like Tim Lincecum was..how has that worked out?

Plus the Angels have enough problems already without adding a disruptive force to the clubhouse.

HELL NO!

Shouldn't criticize the Lincecum trade.  It was a necessary gamble and only cost us money.

I would think the price tag has or will come down considerably since the Dodgers weren't able to move him at the deadline and he's been demoted to the minors but who knows.  As others pointed out this is the type of outside the box idea the Angels need to explore.  I'd be fine with them running the risk of him being a distraction because the Angels are going nowhere barring a miracle and he could address a major need.  He's owed over the next 2 years less than what the Angels will be paying for Hamilton in 2017 so if it didn't work out just cut him or demote him.      

His attitude would probably improve if he was starting every day in the majors for us, rather than being stuck in AAA for the Dogs.

New lease on life. Change of scenery. It has been known throughout the ages to work wonders for people.

Low risk, high reward. That contract is a bargain, and he's 25 freakin years young. Second chance, anyone?

Yeah wouldn't want to run the risk of changing the chemistry of a team on a 73 win pace.  Puig is cheap compared to what they'll pay for someone on the market in the off season, young and has upside.  I don't expect him to revert to the guy who was crushing it his first so many games but If he doesn't work out it's a drop in the bucket compared to the turds they've paid in the past, are paying today and will be paying next year.

59 minutes ago, Catwhoshatinthehat said:

Yeah wouldn't want to run the risk of changing the chemistry of a team on a 73 win pace.  Puig is cheap compared to what they'll pay for someone on the market in the off season, young and has upside.  I don't expect him to revert to the guy who was crushing it his first so many games but If he doesn't work out it's a drop in the bucket compared to the turds they've paid in the past, are paying today and will be paying next year.

Even if he doesn't improve, his performance this season has still matched his contract. He's a 1-2 win player at the moment and teams pay more than $7 million for that. Plus the upside is pretty enormous and he would be available for relatively little. If it went well, he would be an enormous trade chip next year. Depending on what the Dodgers want (very little, I would guess) I would definitely be interested.