• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Should the Angels pursue Yasiel Puig?

Should the LA Angels make a run for Yasiel Puig?

By David Rice, Halo Hangout

For LA Angels fans, I know what I’m about to say may ruffle your feathers a little bit or may even a lot. However, with the Angels great ‘Black Hole’ otherwise known as left field, the problem could be solved by two little words: Yasiel Puig.

Most baseball fans across the country including LA Angels fans, know the name of Dodgers outfielder Yasiel Puig.  Puig is guy with massive talent, but has been deemed a head case by the Dodgers organization.  Yesterday before the trade deadline ended, reports came out of Los Angeles that Puig was told he would either be traded or demoted to Triple-A if a suitable replacement was acquired.  The Dodgers acquired outfielder Josh Reddick from Oakland:

Step 1 Completed, so what about step 2: Trading Puig or sending him to the minors. So far neither has happened but ‘The day ain’t over yet’.

(Mod Edit: Please just post a blurb and link to an article here. Cleaned up the bad HTML formatting.)

On the one hand, he seems like a guy that being traded (especially so close to the dodgers) would set a fire under him and he'd wake up and make the dogs regret it.

He also seems like a guy who's a lump, bought into his own bullshit, and will end up a "what if".

I'd say the decline combined with the attitude says stay away.

Mattingly didn't put up with Puigs shit, why would Scioscia?

Puig had talent, then the roids wore off. Now he has a minor league locker. He would have zero influence in the Angels system, in fact Trout would tell him to stuff it in so many ways. Trout likes Scioscia. Who do you think wins that battle?

Not sure I'd do it either but it's the kind of outside the box, "buy low" thinking we're going to need to be competitive anytime soon.....if you can trade for a 26 year old injured pitcher who has no big league track record, you can take a chance on a nutty Cuban OF'er, I guess....

A change of scenery could be just what the doctor ordered.

One thing for sure, he would be starting every day here, which I don't think he'll be doing when Ethier comes back. 

Great arm, good defender, and I think he can still bring the bat. Injuries have hampered him, I believe. And there's the friendly salary and his youth to consider. 

There is quite a bit of difference between a guy struggling to get out of the minors than a guy banished to the minors. Puig is a disruptive character in the clubhouse and on the field. Yeah, you can take a chance but you better be ready to cut bait when he continues to be the asshole he has been. Then of course there will be threads how the Angels should have known better, blah, blah, blah.

6 minutes ago, DMVol said:

Not sure I'd do it either but it's the kind of outside the box, "buy low" thinking we're going to need to be competitive anytime soon.....if you can trade for a 26 year old injured pitcher who has no big league track record, you can take a chance on a nutty Cuban OF'er, I guess....

Yes, a trip back to Cuba would be a good change of scenery.

1 minute ago, fan_since79 said:

A change of scenery could be just what the doctor ordered.

One thing for sure, he would be starting every day here, which I don't think he'll be doing when Ethier comes back. 

Great arm, good defender, and I think he can still bring the bat. Injuries have hampered him, I believe. And there's the friendly salary and his youth to consider. 

Trade for him, demote him to High A so the Angels can have two of the biggest failures from Cuba on the same team - Baldoquin and Puig.

Great to see Baldoquin finally made it to the Mendoza line after hitting .387 in the past 10 games.  What a waste of $8M.

1 minute ago, Blarg said:

Oh no, Hangin, his actions his first couple years don't say roid rage at all. And the steep dive off the cliff in performance doesn't point to anything other than what: A poor BABHIP?

And your reaction when Pujols is accused of steroids is what, then?

9 minutes ago, ksangel said:

Trade for him, demote him to High A so the Angels can have two of the biggest failures from Cuba on the same team - Baldoquin and Puig.

Great to see Baldoquin finally made it to the Mendoza line after hitting .387 in the past 10 games.  What a waste of $8M.

There is only one guy younger than Baldoquin on the 66ers roster. There are only 3 other guys his age so I think it would be fair to say he hasn't busted quite yet. It was a shit signing by Dipoto but there may be something there to work with.

The Plus is, he's a + defender.  And judging by acquiring Simmons, Eppler might value defense over offense.

If he learns, and reverts back to his rookie and sophmore year, he would be a steal.

But he has the Guillen/Mondesi type vibe to him.  Maybe getting him out of the big city would help?  He went from Cuba to Los Angeles, and maybe that was too much distractions for him?  Of course is the OC enough distance to get rid of the distractions? 

I wouldn't give up much for him.  Really, his best bet is probably if he was traded to a team like the Cardinals.  A city with minimal off field distractions, but has a very high baseball following. 

OC and LA are interconnected,  there is no small town vibe here. You could send him to Cleveland and he would find trouble. It's not the country boy in the city problem it's the asshole wherever he goes problem. 

Eppler does value defense but Simmons is a plus player in terms of being a teammate. It is not just defense but character and Puig has a huge hole in that category. 

7 minutes ago, gotbeer said:

The Plus is, he's a + defender.  And judging by acquiring Simmons, Eppler might value defense over offense.

If he learns, and reverts back to his rookie and sophmore year, he would be a steal.

But he has the Guillen/Mondesi type vibe to him.  Maybe getting him out of the big city would help?  He went from Cuba to Los Angeles, and maybe that was too much distractions for him?  Of course is the OC enough distance to get rid of the distractions? 

I wouldn't give up much for him.  Really, his best bet is probably if he was traded to a team like the Cardinals.  A city with minimal off field distractions, but has a very high baseball following. 

4 minutes ago, hangin n wangin said:

So anyone who gets angry and declines is on roids? Even with absolutely no proof behind it. Got it. It must be true because you're saying it.

I'm going to play now.

Carlos Gomez. Roids.

You are probably right,  it's just BABHIP.