• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Angels are listening on Hector Santiago

Chuck

ESPN's Jerry Crasnick reports the Angels are listening on starting pitcher Hector Santiago.

And several clubs have already inquired, per Crasnick's sources. Santiago is sporting a career-worst 4.32 ERA in 110 1/3 innings this season, but the 28-year-old left-hander managed a sharp 3.55 ERA in 532 2/3 innings between 2011 and 2015. He is eligible for arbitration for the third and final time in 2017.

As badly as we need pitching next year, I think Santiago may wind up bringing back a good, worthwhile return in this market. 

If we can pry away an MLB-ready SP for Escobar, Smith, or Street, it makes dealing Santiago that much more bearable. 

I'm actually starting to think some team will make an offer to good to refuse on one of Santiago, Shoe, or even Calhoun.

1 minute ago, totdprods said:

If Santiago or Shoe are dealt, we will see Weaver back next year, unless he chooses not to come back. 

I dunno. I don't think Weaver has anything left. I think he knows that too. 

Someone pull up the list of FA pitchers after this season. There's a few good #3's and some decent #4's out there that can be upgrades. 

I stated it before and I will state it again in this thread; the Angels can get a pretty good haul from players like Shoe, Sant and Kole. This trade deadline is almost giving them a get-out-of-jail-free card that will allow them to replenish the farm that's currently a joke in Major League Baseball.

50 minutes ago, totdprods said:

As badly as we need pitching next year, I think Santiago may wind up bringing back a good, worthwhile return in this market. 

If we can pry away an MLB-ready SP for Escobar, Smith, or Street, it makes dealing Santiago that much more bearable. 

I'm actually starting to think some team will make an offer to good to refuse on one of Santiago, Shoe, or even Calhoun.

So you thinks a team is gonna trade a young cost controlled cheaper major league starting pitcher for an older more expensive starting pitcher? Because of what reasons?

1 minute ago, Kevinb said:

So you thinks a team is gonna trade a young cost controlled cheaper major league starting pitcher for an older more expensive starting pitcher? Because of what reasons?

Not what I said.

I said if we can get a young SP prospect back in a deal involving Escobar, Smith, or Street, then it makes it easier to trade Santiago. 

1 minute ago, totdprods said:

Not what I said.

I said if we can get a young SP prospect back in a deal involving Escobar, Smith, or Street, then it makes it easier to trade Santiago. 

resd what you wrote you said "mlb ready sp" but ya I'm the liar. Anywho if the Angels are set on trading people the more prospects you get back in return the better the chances one will turn into something valuable. Get as much back as possible if that's the case

I think they can probably get back a reasonable hitting or SP prospect for Escobar. Smith isn't gonna get much more than a fringey Cory Rasmus type. Someone on the bubble of a 40-man, or a A/AA prospect on a team that's deep on a position in which the Angels are light on.

Street is real interesting to me. The elite relievers being moved make me think he's going to be buried and not attract much attention, but by that same token, I can see how some teams may look at what guys like Chapman, Giles, and Kimbrel are costing and may look more under the radar at Street. 

7 minutes ago, totdprods said:

A month or so ago was the last time I looked at the FA SP list for this offseason, and Lincecum, Chacin, and Weaver were some of those I'd be most interested in having on one year deals next year.

It's that bad.

Yes, but to hang on to guys like Shoe and Hector just because our options suck next year would be silly considering the overall makeup of this team.

I think it's time the front office and Arte get realistic about this teams window of opportunity. Next year is most likely going to look a lot like this season. I'd like them to bite the bullet over the next few seasons and aim for a 2-3 year rebuild.

I don't disagree with that belief, just think that our current SP depth is so thin for next year, with so few options, that it makes it tremendously difficult to deal Shoe and/or Hector. Having terrible SPs will also impact the development of our already thin pen as well. We also don't want to rush someone like Long or McGowin up and start their clocks too early and hurt their development. 

I think Weaver is 50/50 on being back next year. At this point I expect the Angels to deal one of Shoe or Hector, and I think they will make an effort to retain Weaver. Definitely can see him choosing to retire though. 

So next year's rotation is Shoe, Skaggs, likely Smith to start, but after that? Considering we're already down 4-5 starters this year they have to go in with some sort of depth. Because of this, I'm starting to think we see Chacin, Weaver, and Lincecum get more opportunities the rest of this year to see if any are worth keeping for next. Wouldn't be surprised to see Kendrick come up too.

A good team can handle one #5 type like Weaver or Chacin in the rotation, but not two - let along three (and Lincecum is more like a #8 starter at this point).

Next year - Shoemaker, Skaggs, one of Weaver/Chacin/Kendrick, maybe Smith, hope for Richards, and probably a free agent. Pretty bad.

It depends AJ.

If Skaggs/Shoemaker pitch well... You can sign a FA guy to be your #3, then if you truly deal Escobar/Santiago you use that prospect & Nate Smith to round out your rotation at #4 & #5. Honestly though, we gotta pray that Richards can go and be effective. That gives  you three quality young(ish) starters. You can then just sign a FA to be #4, then use Nate Smith to round out the rotation at #5. Cannot count on Heaney/Tropeano until 2018 unfortunately. 

Here's the list of FA pitchers:

Brett Anderson (29)
Clay Buchholz (32) — $13.5MM club option with a $500K buyout
Andrew Cashner (30)
Jhoulys Chacin (29)
Bartolo Colon (43)
Jorge De La Rosa (36)
R.A. Dickey (42)
Doug Fister (33)
Jaime Garcia (30) — $12MM club option with a $500K buyout
Gio Gonzalez (31) — $12MM club option with a $500K buyout
Jason Hammel (34) — $10MM club option with a $2MM buyout
Jeremy Hellickson (30)
Rich Hill (37)
Derek Holland (30) — $11MM club option with a $1MM buyout
Scott Kazmir (33) — can opt out of remaining two years, $32MM on current contract
Mat Latos (29)
Colby Lewis (37)
Kris Medlen (31) — $10MM mutual option with a $1MM buyout
Matt Moore (28) — $7MM club option with a $2.5MM buyout
Charlie Morton (33) — $9.5MM mutual option with a $1MM buyout
Jon Niese (30) — $10MM club option with a $500K buyout
Ivan Nova (30)
Jake Peavy (36)
CC Sabathia (36) — $25MM vesting option with a $5MM buyout
James Shields (35) — can opt out of remaining two years, $44MM on current contract
Alfredo Simon (36)
Edinson Volquez (33) — $10MM mutual option with a $3MM buyout
Jered Weaver (34)
C.J. Wilson (36)

any player of value whose contract expires between the end of this year and prior to the 2019 season should be traded for as much value as possible.  preferably for players at AA or above but you get the players that bring the greatest amount of currency to the org.  You're gonna have 3 guys returning from TJ surg in 2018.  It usually take a full year of pitching for those guys to come back to full strength.  So 2019 is realistically your best target.  You can try to pretend for 2017 and maybe put something together for 2018 but it's only going to hurt the org long term.  Fans aren't likely to understand conceding those two season on top of this one, but they really won't understand if this org has zero talent to put around Trout for 2019 and 2020 making it more likely that he leaves.  

Bullpens can be fixed much more quickly so I am not as concerned about that, but ask yourself what is realistic for our rotation for 2017 and the first half of 2018 even if we do tap the FA market and make some trades.