• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Tyler Chatwood?

I said it back in May, Shoe would turn it around.  I also put out the thread, "A Shoe-In For A Trade?"  Forget about trading him, build on him and his prototype through the draft, free agency, or trade, instead; he's remarkable!!  

For a trade off the bat to think of for his type, for example: former Angel, from my birth town, Tyler Chatwood.  

The Rangers were thought to be out of it getting Cole Hamels for 2016 last year. Instead, they won the Division. Now I'm not saying Chatwood is Hamels.  But what I am saying is that this team WINS fast by such an offense accomodated with an overall effective starting rotation.  And Chatwood, might be of nice ingredient underscore added to the mix here after Tropeano down.

Street for Chatwood, allowing Colorado to deal the trade deadline relief market?  

Nasty Cam (Ohhhh, love that nickname!) would move into close.  

Chatwood, iirc, already had TJ surgery back in 2014.   He pitched just 24 MLB innings in 2014-2015.

His road stats have been excellent both in 2013, and so far this season (48 road innings, ERA around 1.30 and WHIP around 1.00).  

He's also a heavy GB pitcher, and with a future left side of Simmons/Cowart, that would benefit him greatly.

Colorado is looking at keeping costs low and making a run of it in 2017-2018. Blackmon is rightfully a star, David Dahl is killing AAA, Arenado is a superstar, Story is one of the better shortstops in baseball and in a couple years they can add Ryan McMahon and Brendan Rodgers to that list. That offense is going to be unstoppable. Now they just need pitching. 

Guys like Jon Gray and Tyler Chatwood are good enough and young enough to where they'll play a big part of that contending team.

Essentially what I'm saying is, the Rockies aren't trading any of their young starters for an expensive closer that isn't elite.

49 minutes ago, ScottyA_MWAH said:

Colorado is looking at keeping costs low and making a run of it in 2017-2018. Blackmon is rightfully a star, David Dahl is killing AAA, Arenado is a superstar, Story is one of the better shortstops in baseball and in a couple years they can add Ryan McMahon and Brendan Rodgers to that list. That offense is going to be unstoppable. Now they just need pitching. 

Guys like Jon Gray and Tyler Chatwood are good enough and young enough to where they'll play a big part of that contending team.

Essentially what I'm saying is, the Rockies aren't trading any of their young starters for an expensive closer that isn't elite.

Exactly...why would they want a broken Street?

1 hour ago, ScottyA_MWAH said:

Another pitcher they will have soon...and who will probably be better than Gray & Chatwood is Jeff Hoffman. He was the main return in the Tulo trade last year.

Yeah, man...you'd have a Hector, Shoemaker, 2 Tylers, and a Cam to rev up this 2016 machine stretch run with.  LOL, but I like it a lot, too! 

Does Street yield for a significant relief demand value off this year's deadline?  If so, there's A piece, not THE piece toward making the trade happen.  Colorado will just flip Street for it instead of the Angels.     

\       

21 minutes ago, Jeff Williams said:

Yeah, man...you'd have a Hector, Shoemaker, 2 Tylers, and a Cam to rev up this 2016 machine stretch run with.  LOL, but I like it a lot, too! 

Does Street yield for a significant relief demand value off this year's deadline?  If so, there's A piece, not THE piece toward making the trade happen.  Colorado will just flip Street for it instead of the Angels.     

\       

I think with his contract, Street's value is a wash. He's good enough to acquire, but the money he's making is too much. So the Angels really wouldn't get anything worthwhile in return unless they ate about 12 million, which they aren't willing to do. The bullpen is awful to begin with. Their best bet is to simply keep Street and build the pen around him and Bedrock.

36 minutes ago, ScottyA_MWAH said:

I think with his contract, Street's value is a wash. He's good enough to acquire, but the money he's making is too much. So the Angels really wouldn't get anything worthwhile in return unless they ate about 12 million, which they aren't willing to do. The bullpen is awful to begin with. Their best bet is to simply keep Street and build the pen around him and Bedrock.

The bullpen is far from good but it's far from awful. 

Pitching has become the rarest of all baseball commodities.  This trade deadline will be interesting, like a game of musical chairs, and a number of teams aren't going to find a chair available.  It's interesting Jeff, but the Yankees could clean up in filling their needs for position players if they have anyone in their system who could replace relievers they could deal.

5 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Probably 10. Anyone who isnt the Yankees. 

Okay, so Street holds some value, still.  But Chatwood does for the Rockies off just as much SP deadline demand this year, too.  

I like Chatwood here, but Street can be swapped for an SP from a non-contending team who can then flip him to a contender off that trade deadline demand. If it means the Halos taking back some of Street's salary, sobeit to get it done.  3-way deal opportunity under the circumstance.

They can do this with trading Joe Smith and move Street into setup, instead, but Cam is the closer now!  

Even if they bring up Nate Smith to replace Tropeano, this is the best time to move one of either Street or Smith for an SP with Weaver falling off next year.  

Street has an ERA over 5 and is being paid like a borderline elite closer. He isn't going to bring in any front line prospects or young major leaguers.

Street is far from done, I'm guessing he'll round into form this year and look great over the next couple, but at the moment, that's a risk other teams are going to avoid.

On July 21, 2016 at 6:15 AM, m0nkey said:

So again, why would colorado do the trade?

How big of an underscore is Chatwood on the SP market?  If contenders aren't asking about him now, maybe the Angels should take a shot at him.  Would they do it for Joe Smith? Probably!

Edited by Jeff Williams
To correct from before