• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Trout pursuit after 2020

Trout contract years after 2020?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Once Trout's contract is up after 2020, and yes that's still 4.5 years away, how many years max are you willing to give him?

20 hours ago, Kevinb said:

8 years if you have to wait till after his free agent year no way I want to sign a baseball player to a 10 year deal unless there are mutual opt out clauses in the deal. Trout is amazing but we technically aren't living in the steroid era anymore so there's just no way you sign him that long term. I'd try and resign him before his contract gets out and pay him till his 32 or 34 year and then bail on it and let someone else pay him 

Only a four year extension is a good way to lose him for free agency.  I would wait 2 years....offer an additional 7 years and you have him until he is 36.  Like I said his value at age 36 won't be worth it but you have to take into an account the value of making him an Angel for his career.  That would off set his declining skills.

8 minutes ago, stormngt said:

Only a four year extension is a good way to lose him for reel agency.  I would wait 2 years....offer an additional 7 years and you have him until he is 36.  Like I said his value at age 36 won't be worth it but you have to take into an account the value of making him an Angel for his career.  That would off set his declining skills.

I'm ok till 35/36 but anything that takes him over that is bad new bears. Honestly as shameful as it sounds I wouldn't be at all opposed to trading him at the deadline of his current deal it takes him to what 29? You'd get a haul and a half for him and you get a chance at signing him as a free agent 

45 minutes ago, stormngt said:

Only a four year extension is a good way to lose him for reel agency.  I would wait 2 years....offer an additional 7 years and you have him until he is 36.  Like I said his value at age 36 won't be worth it but you have to take into an account the value of making him an Angel for his career.  That would off set his declining skills.

This is something that I could go for. With any long term deal, you won't get great value on the back end of it. What you don't want is a deal like Pujols', when the player's prime years are long gone and the end of the contract is years away.

The Angels should throw all they can to keep Trout in an Angels uniform, assuming he's still producing at a very high level by 2020. Would love to make Trout an Angel for life. 

It's going to take a 8-10 year deal for 400-500 million dollars. Keeping Trout around as the face of the franchise will probably be worth it. 

One thing should be for sure: never, EEEVER again give even a generational player maxed out money beyond say their age 37-38 season.   

That's why after the 2018 season, if Trout is still a generational player, I would offer to extend his contract through the 2028 or 2029 season.   For those 8 or 9 additional seasons, I would offer a max of say $40 million per season.

Hopefully by no later than the close of the 2019 season, Pujols will retire (yes, two years early).   Then no one is getting obscene money and far underachieving.   It's easier then to pay Trout $40 million AAV from 2021 forward.

The key to this will be the off-season after 2018, when Harper is a FA.  What he gets will pretty much dictate what Trout can get for 2021 and beyond.   Which is actually why it would be wise to extend Trout as early as possible that off-season, before Harper's pay day arrives.

16 hours ago, Make Angels Great Again said:

He could very well be the first 500 million dollar player.

Yup.  Some team will offer him that.  Either 10 year or 12 year.  It won't matter what we want to pay him.  It'll be matching or beating (if we continue to suck like it's looking like) that offer.  Contrary to what people think, he has no loyalties to Southern California.  He won't sign a contract extension if we continue to suck.  He will go where he can get rich and win some rings.  And sadly, he will probably go into the Hall wearing the hat where he won those rings. 

Edited by gotbeer

1 hour ago, gotbeer said:

Yup.  Some team will offer him that.  Either 10 year or 12 year.  It won't matter what we want to pay him.  It'll be matching or beating (if we continue to suck like it's looking like) that offer.  Contrary to what people think, he has no loyalties to Southern California.  He won't sign a contract extension if we continue to suck.  He will go where he can get rich and win some rings.  And sadly, he will probably go into the Hall wearing the hat where he won those rings. 

Can I ask the question what is the obsession with the HOF and wearing an Angels hat in it. Why the heck do people keep saying stuff like that. It doesn't matter in the scheme of things at all. If Trout wears an Angels hat or Yankees hat in the HOF does it change the fact that we had him during his best years being a baseball player?

1 hour ago, gotbeer said:

You won't be competing with any other team if the Angels offer to extend him prior to his contract being up.  However, the closer to his free agency the less incentive he will have to resign.  That is why the extension need to be made two years before his free agency and it needs to be long enough to finish his career.

1 minute ago, stormngt said:

You won't be competing with any other team if the Angels offer to extend him prior to his contract being up.  However, the closer to his free agency the less incentive he will have to resign.  That is why the extension need to be made two years before his free agency and it needs to be long enough to finish his career.

He doesn't have any incentive right now to get locked to a loser of a team.  He's already financially set.  And by the time the ship is righted, if it is in 4.5 years, he will be so close to FA'cy that he'll wait. 

Just now, gotbeer said:

He doesn't have any incentive right now to get locked to a loser of a team.  He's already financially set.  And by the time the ship is righted, if it is in 4.5 years, he will be so close to FA'cy that he'll wait. 

He has a lot of incentive to resign.  Injuries can happen any time.  And rich people still spend money so don't go with "he has all the money you need" argument.  A 200 million dollar offer guaranteed is something you don't pass up.  Now that said I do agree the Angels have to show him a plan on how they will get competitive.  I do believe the fans are too negative on this.  In 2013 everyone said it was going to take the Angels 10 years before they can make the playoffs.  Well it took them about ten months.

Now with our pitching injuries things do look bleak.  However, we have a lot of money coming off the books within the next two years.  If spent wisely the Angels could be competitive by 2018.  I have seen stranger things happen.  Hell contrary to what all you guys say I think we would have been competitive this year had we been not  hit with all the devastating injuries.

31 minutes ago, Kevinb said:

Can I ask the question what is the obsession with the HOF and wearing an Angels hat in it. Why the heck do people keep saying stuff like that. It doesn't matter in the scheme of things at all. If Trout wears an Angels hat or Yankees hat in the HOF does it change the fact that we had him during his best years being a baseball player?

I would like Trout to stay here for his entire career but if he were to leave I wouldn't cry about it. That situation would be more about him and his personal life decisions than the Angels. I'm not even sure he would stay if we were winning. No one knows.

2 hours ago, stormngt said:

He has a lot of incentive to resign.  Injuries can happen any time.  And rich people still spend money so don't go with "he has all the money you need" argument.  A 200 million dollar offer guaranteed is something you don't pass up.  Now that said I do agree the Angels have to show him a plan on how they will get competitive.  I do believe the fans are too negative on this.  In 2013 everyone said it was going to take the Angels 10 years before they can make the playoffs.  Well it took them about ten months.

Now with our pitching injuries things do look bleak.  However, we have a lot of money coming off the books within the next two years.  If spent wisely the Angels could be competitive by 2018.  I have seen stranger things happen.  Hell contrary to what all you guys say I think we would have been competitive this year had we been not  hit with all the devastating injuries.

If we can be competitive in 2018 ..: then there's no reason we can't be competitive in 2017.

1 hour ago, Troll Daddy said:

If we can be competitive in 2018 ..: then there's no reason we can't be competitive in 2017.

What are you talking a?  We won't have Richards or Heaney in 2017.  Adding two quality starters is a big lift.  Plus the 2016 free agent list is weak while the 2017 is stronger.

There is a lot of reasons why we can be competI've in 2018.  The reason why I don't feel we can be competitive in 2017 is because Heaney and Richards won't be with us and the free agent class is weak.

We have a much better chance of being competitive in 2018 than we do 2017, if you don't understand that then you are either a troll, stupid, or you are myopic.  We will have more money to spend in 2018, we have a better chance of having Richards and Heaney, and hopefully whoever we traded for at this deadline will be performing for us. 

13 minutes ago, stormngt said:

What are you talking a?  We won't have Richards or Heaney in 2017.  Adding two quality starters is a big lift.  Plus the 2016 free agent list is weak while the 2017 is stronger.

There is a lot of reasons why we can be competI've in 2018.  The reason why I don't feel we can be competitive in 2017 is because Heaney and Richards won't be with us and the free agent class is weak.

I agree with you. Having a healthy Richards and Heaney back in 2018 will make the team much stronger.

To sit back and wait to assemble a competitive team in 2018 is not a great plan. 

Plenty of free agents in 2017. We don't need to sign a super star to compete. It's a shame we missed out on Jason Heyward :)

1 hour ago, Troll Daddy said:

I agree with you. Having a healthy Richards and Heaney back in 2018 will make the team much stronger.

To sit back and wait to assemble a competitive team in 2018 is not a great plan. 

Plenty of free agents in 2017. We don't need to sign a super star to compete. It's a shame we missed out on Jason Heyward :)

I am with agreement.  I didn't mean to suggest we don't do anything to improve the team next year.  I just don't think we should bust our budget for next when the following year we have a lot better chance of finding people who can help