• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Weaver

Torridd

Honestly with his personality, in how he took less money to stay here, and his realization that he just can't compete like he used to, I think he will retire.

I don't understand how his velocity dropped so rapidly. You think it's something they could fix. But sadly that doesn't seem to be the case.

2 minutes ago, Torridd said:

So what do you think he'll do?

Retire....   I think he's doing everything he can to fight off father time -- but he's been successful and he knows what it takes for him to be successful, I'm sure nobody is more well aware of what he can and cannot do than Jered Weaver.  

I can't imagine he is enjoying who he is these days...

As far as re-signing him goes if you were the fan of any other team would you want them to sign him?  He's one of my favorite Angels and there's no denying he's a competitor but physically he just can't get it done way more often than not as his deception doesn't work.  As far as what he'll do I have no idea because I haven't heard him say anything about next year.  I imagine it would be hard for anyone his age to walk away and call it a career and hopefully he doesn't try sticking around for financial reasons.  

If he were willing to try relieving, I would sign him to a 1-year contract. I know he doesn't throw hard, but I wonder, as a starter, does he still pace himself in games? If so, he could "let it loose" as a reliever he may be successful. 

5 minutes ago, Oz27 said:

The first thing I look for in a reliever is the ability to throw more than 82 MPH. Weaver out of the pen really isn't a good idea.

And that's why its easier if he is a starter. Your offense has 9 innings to get a lead or catch up. As a reliever it doesn't work. (falling behind late and with the emergence of situational relievers). I also don't know how his body at this stage could roll throwing on consecutive days. For Weaver to have a long man spot in the bully he would literally need to throw at this stage (with our current rotation minus him) 3-4 times a week. His arm may not be able to handle the abuse.

If he moves to the pen and somehow winds up fitting really well there limited to an inning here or there or a spot start, I could *maybe* see him filling a role like Rasmus next year, especially if Richards and Heaney have surgery and the team throws in the towel. 

But I have a feeling he's retiring. 

Weaver above others knows what it takes to be successful.  Listen to his interviews and he's telling you in a not-so-subtle fashion that he does not have it anymore.  I'm guessing he retires, and in a couple of years he comes back in an advisory role.  Once Mike Sciascia calls it quits after the 2018 season, Weaver will be brought on as the pitching coach, alongside Darin Erstad as manager and Tim Salmon as the hitting coach.