• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Shoemaker's Sudden Success

I threw a splitter in high school. It did one of two things: either you got on top of the pitch, it remained low, and the bottom dropped out, making it completely unhittable; or it stayed slightly elevated and didn't drop, making it a batting practice pitch. There really wasn't much in between. 

Shoemaker will have starts like this followed by starts in which he gets bombed. If he could keep the terrible starts to once every six or seven starts, he could out together a solid season.

5 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

His velo went up too. I his past two starts he's been hitting 93-95 mph early in the game. 91-93  late. 

That splitter of his reminds me of Kevin Appier's when he first came up with the Royals.

Third year in a row where his velocity ticks up as the season wears on.   Dude needs to possibly start throwing earlier or not lose so much weight every offseason.

My biggest concern is that he tends to get rattled when he starts to lose his mechanics. It's been almost 2 years since he was consistently good.

That is my one issue with our pitching staff is that both he and Santiago have really good stuff when they aren't overthinking, but when they mentally get rattled, they suck balls. One reason I really like Trop is that he seems to have composure under pressure that Shoe, Santiago, and even Weaver can lack at times.

8 hours ago, Dochalo said:

Shoe's issues were purely mechanical.  His sinker is a plus plus pitch when he's right.  Obviously.  It makes sense that a minor mechanical adjustment could make all the difference.  He was flying open and it not only elevated his pitches but took away the movement that he needs to be successful. 

It's a really good sign that he could turn things around that quickly.  To me, it means that even if he falls off a bit, he can get it back.  Another reason is that Shoe seems like a really good guy and I''d like to see him succeed 

This.

His problems have been almost entirely related to command. His fastball is average at best, but his sinker, change up and splitter are all plus pitches when he locates them. 

1 hour ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

This.

His problems have been almost entirely related to command. His fastball is average at best, but his sinker, change up and splitter are all plus pitches when he locates them. 

I wouldn't classify his fastball being average as it sits 91-93 MPH and touches 95 mph. For a starting pitcher that's above average I believe. 

As Doc pointed out, his mechanics have cleaned up big time. His vertical release point has risen start by start this year, giving him more depth on all of his pitches. As a result, his fastball velocity is 91-94 now instead of 89-92, his splitter is unhittable and he's even throwing some quality sliders. As long as his mechanics are right, the guy can be a quality starter for us.