• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Richards not getting TJS. Opts for rehab

Garrett Richards has chosen not to undergo Tommy John surgery. Is getting something similar to a PRP shot today, shut down six weeks.

Richards is essentially doing the same as Andrew Heaney, trying the non-surgical route first in hopes of avoiding surgery. Time will tell.

Edited by HaloCory22

I mean, why not at least try this. It's only going to set him back for 2017 what, 6 weeks? Big F'n deal.

If the MRI shows healing over the course of the next few weeks than why get the surgery. If there is no progress to the healing process, then go under the knife. 

???????  This doesn't make any sense.  I need to google the list of pitchers this worked out for.  Surgery should be his only option.  The season is lost anyway.  It's not like it's September and the Angels are in the hunt for the playoffs.  Get the surgery and come back strong in 10 months.

How often do guys elect to not have TJ surgery and rehab? I feel like the success rate of that is way worse than having TJ itself. I'd rather see him get it done but w/e. Just hope for the best I guess. All that said I have very little faith in our med staff, seems like we deal with more lingering and bs injuries than other clubs. 

There really isn't any risk here.  Ok let's say Garrett gets the surgery right now in May.  Best case scenario, he's back in May or June of next year, but even then, most TJ pitchers take another 2-6 months to actually get a feel for their pitches again.  So the timeline of Richards returning to form if he has the surgery right now is likely August or September of next year.  

Ok, so now let's say they wait 6 weeks and there isn't enough improvement to avoid surgery, and he gets it in July.  Best case scenario, he's back by July of next year, but Richards returning to form likely doesn't come until 2018.  Basically, the Angels lose one more month of Richards, if this doesn't work.

That's not a huge risk.  Now let's pretend this actually works in much the same way it has for Tanaka in New York.  He came back two months later and was a middle or backend starter, and returned this year and is back in prime form.  The upside here is that Richards can be back to himself before this season ends.  

He definitely make the right decision.  The risk isn't great, but the potential reward is. 

20 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

I mean, why not at least try this. It's only going to set him back for 2017 what, 6 weeks? Big F'n deal.

If the MRI shows healing over the course of the next few weeks than why get the surgery. If there is no progress to the healing process, then go under the knife. 

The real risk is that he comes back "sort of healthier." Most guys who opt to avoid surgery come back with diminished performance, where as most guys who have the surgery come back at 100% or maybe even a little better. It's a tough call either way.

1 minute ago, stormngt said:

This maybe hard for the fans to understand but the Angels do not think the season is lost yet.  How dare they compete has hard as they can.

I appreciate this post. As bad as things have been, they're only 5.5 games out with 125 games to play. The Chacin and Lincecum moves prove they're not giving up on the season.

4 minutes ago, ScottyA_MWAH said:

There really isn't any risk here.  Ok let's say Garrett gets the surgery right now in May.  Best case scenario, he's back in May or June of next year, but even then, most TJ pitchers take another 2-6 months to actually get a feel for their pitches again.  So the timeline of Richards returning to form if he has the surgery right now is likely August or September of next year.  

Ok, so now let's say they wait 6 weeks and there isn't enough improvement to avoid surgery, and he gets it in July.  Best case scenario, he's back by July of next year, but Richards returning to form likely doesn't come until 2018.  Basically, the Angels lose one more month of Richards, if this doesn't work.

That's not a huge risk.  Now let's pretend this actually works in much the same way it has for Tanaka in New York.  He came back two months later and was a middle or backend starter, and returned this year and is back in prime form.  The upside here is that Richards can be back to himself before this season ends.  

He definitely make the right decision.  The risk isn't great, but the potential reward is. 

IMO, I could not disagree with you more.

If he had surgery now, he'd be back sometime next season, 2017. 

If he tries to work it out, upside is if he works it out great.  Downside, he needs surgery, or he does what every stupid medical decision the Angels do are, and he tries to rehab it in the offseason.  Come 2017, and it doesn't get any better, and he needs surgery missing all of 2017.

That means he will be back sometime in 2018. 

And ladies and gentlemen.  Guess what happens in 2019?  He's a free agent.

So I'd rather have 1 - 2 season post injury to evaluate whether we spend gobs of money on him.  Than part of a season and decide whether to spend money on him. 

13 minutes ago, ScottyA_MWAH said:

Ervin Santana was similar, although he never quite regained what he showed prior to his injury. This gives Richards a shot for 2017 essentially, since he wasn't likely to contribute much next year.