• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Dipoto destroyed this organization

25 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

Dipoto left because this organization is dysfunctional. He instantly got a job with the Mariners which he has instantly turned from also-rans to the favorites to win the AL West a month and a half into the season.

My biggest gripe with Dipoto was that he quit in the middle of the season. He should have manned up and finished the year and then left. As it was, he put the Angels in a really bad position by just up and leaving. As I said in my previous post, Dipoto's job as a GM was a mixed bag, but I really don't like quitters.

Edited by Angels#1Fan

angel fans are nearing full melt down mode. i can hear that train acomin'.

the state this organization is in has been coming for awhile now, it's the elephant in the room. dipoto did his best as a eunuch for as long as he could stand. i don't blame him for ejecting when he did, he was pissed and when the players turned on him, he had no more reason to stay. eppler is also doing his best, and we'll see how that goes. he seems competent, but the buck doesn't stop with him. there's dysfunction in this organization and there's too few other constants than to put it at the feet of arte, scioscia, and i guess wilson.

i'm pretty sure the best thing that could happen would be new ownership, as long as we get a good one. the devil you know, as they say.

Edited by ukyah

28 minutes ago, Angels#1Fan said:

My biggest gripe with Dipoto was that he quit in the middle of the season. He should have manned up and finished the year and then left. As it was, he put the Angels in a really bad position by just up and leaving. As I said in my previous post, Dipoto's job as a GM was a mixed bag, but I really don't like quitters.

i think that's always been a fair criticism.

28 minutes ago, Angels#1Fan said:

It's easy to tell the captain to go down with the ship.

3 hours ago, mp170.6 said:

Couldn't it be argued that Scioscia shares in the blame and prevented trades that should have happened but never did?

His obsession with Mathis that left Napoli and Conger going nowhere comes to mind.

Yea everyday I wonder how good we could have been with Conger.

1 hour ago, happybat4 said:

Same shit every year. Trumbo gets hot and everybody makes a big deal. Every year he hits I. The low 200s with an OBP on or below .300 with 20-30 homers and horrendous defense.

He traded away trumbo, morales and grichuk. Its fsir to point out he improved the pitching depth as long as you point out he killed the offensive depth.

Trumbo can cool off and have his normal year going forward. Did we ever replace him after that trade? Dipoto thought cron would...

1 hour ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

Depot grabbed the Mariners a first basemen this offseason from the KBO for peanuts. He's currently rocking a 164 wRC+.

He also traded three teenagers that throw hard and have potential for Adam Lind.

Hits and misses -- GM 101. 

Edited by Inside Pitch

Inside Pitch and I have talked privately about Dipoto previously and I tend to take a bit more favorable view of Dipoto but I do agree with IP on some of the pros and cons of his tenure here.

One thing that IP mentioned earlier in the thread was the amount of trades Jerry makes and I agree with that whole post. This was one thing I liked a lot about Dipoto in that he seemed like he was constantly communicating and discussing possible deals with other teams and wasn't afraid to go after his favorite sabermetric targets. Some of those he missed on, others he succeeded with, and a lot of them experienced injuries that have impacted their careers while in Anaheim.

Look at players like Ryan Madson and LaTroy Hawkins for example. Madson was injured and never performed here while Hawkins was so-so out of the bullpen. However Madson is tearing it up now and Hawkins, after he left the Angels, went to the Mets and then the Rockies and pitcher pretty damn well. Dipoto really seemed to have a bad timing issue with some of his acquisitions.

Also it is seemingly impossible at this point to know when a pitcher will experience an arm injury. Skaggs, Heaney, Madson, etc were worthwhile gambles and they haven't paid off yet and Madson never did.

I personally hated the Bourjos/Grichuk for Freese/Salas trade but in the long run I was proven wrong unless Grichuk really picks it up in the next 3-4 years of control he has left. Peter has not been hitting well but makes up for some of it with his glove but he never fully realized his potential. Meanwhile Freese helped us out fairly well and Salas has been pretty damn good in his time here (and last year his peripherals were good despite his actual results).

In the end I liked the fact that, for good or bad, Jerry was involved in all facets of the front office and was actively trying to improve the team even if he failed at times. I want a GM who is on the ball and isn't letting information go untouched by the scouts and analysts and is doing everything possible to make the Angels a better team.

5 hours ago, Chuck Richter said:

No, that's not true. 

How can you say this, without giving proof of this?

Some of us are left wondering if you are just drinking the koolaid to protect your "official press credentials" with Mr. Mead.

Set us straight. Who told you that Arte didnt instigate the deals for Albert and/or Hambone? Somebody outside the organization who has no conflict of interest? 

The rest of the press thinks otherwise;  that it was Moreno-engineering. These signing are completely contrary to the Dipoto MO.

3 hours ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

Dipoto left because this organization is dysfunctional. He instantly got a job with the Mariners which he has instantly turned from also-rans to the favorites to win the AL West a month and a half into the season.

Yes, the M's are great and it's all because of Jedi's acquisitions like Iannetta, Lind, Iwakuma, Aiko, Benoit, and Miley. It has nothing to do with Cruz, Cano, Hernandez, etc. 

Agreed. Yes, he improved the pitching depth (injuries aside),  but worsened the offensive depth. The farm got worse. I cut him slack because arte had a hand in it all. But dipo wasnt a simple puppet. He had a limited budget, but also had his say about more than a few moves that didnt work out.

To put it another way, while it would be a hell of a lot better running out a rotstion of richards, heaney and skaggs right now, and he helped put that together, it would also be nice to have morales over cron (or st least have kept vargas), trumbo rotating at 1st/LF, and grichuk in LF.in short, give credit where its due, give blame equally .

1 hour ago, Angelsjunky said:

Maybe a bit over-exaggerated, but the OP isn't wrong, imo. Remember that saying, "leave the place as good or better than you found it?"

Bottom line: Dipoto left this organization in worse shape than he found it. Does anyone dispute that?

He was no Boy Scout.

The "blame everything on Scioscia" meme is getting old and is simply narrow-sighted. We can also blame 2002 on Scioscia, and the fact that he consistently outperformed the team's Pythagorean record for the strong years of 2004-09.

I'm not a Scioscia apologist; in truth, I think the team needs fresh blood in the skipper role. But if we're going to bag on him about his weaknesses we should at least acknowledge his strengths and what he has contributed, which is considerable.

13 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

The "blame everything on Scioscia" meme is getting old and is simply narrow-sighted. We can also blame 2002 on Scioscia, and the fact that he consistently outperformed the team's Pythagorean record for the strong years of 2004-09.

I'm not a Scioscia apologist; in truth, I think the team needs fresh blood in the skipper role. But if we're going to bag on him about his weaknesses we should at least acknowledge his strengths and what he has contributed, which is considerable.

This. He was "better" with better players. He doesnt do anything to make trout good...nor does he do anything to make other guys suck.

Hes not eithout blame. His lineups suck, he can be a prick to players. That said, i think he makes a lot of right moves in late and close games...just sometimes he doesnt have the bullpen to do it.

From another perspective, joe maddon who we all love, didnt lead the good rays teams any better than the later ones.

Edited by ten ocho recon scout
Wrong quote

2 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

Maybe a bit over-exaggerated, but the OP isn't wrong, imo. Remember that saying, "leave the place as good or better than you found it?"

Bottom line: Dipoto left this organization in worse shape than he found it. Does anyone dispute that?

The sad thing is.  He did leave the organization in better shape than when he got it.  People forget the absolute mess that Reagins left.  We had no minor league pitching or position players.  At least Dipoto was able to somehow work up the minor league pitching, and the depth of pitching.  Granted it's not 1's or 2's or probably even 3's.  But when you are left with jack, and can at least get some form of depth at the pitching staff.  That everyone seems to have gotten injured or immediately traded by the new guy, doesn't mean that he didn't have a plan.