• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Braves trade Jhoulys Chacin to Angels

The most impressive thing to remember about Chacin other than being the Rockies top prospect once, was that he was also their #1 starter and posted three, YES THREE seasons pitching half of his games at Coors Field with a sub 4 ERA, 

2010: 3.28 ERA, 138 K's in 137 innings.
2011: 3.62 ERA (194 innings)
2012: 4:43 ERA which for Coors Field is not bad. 
2013: 3.47 ERA (197 innings)
2014: 5.42 ERA (worse season to date, but was injured. Just started 11 games)
2015: 3.38 ERA in just 4 starts as he was injured all season. (Arizona Diamondbacks)

Sits at 90-91 MPH with his fastball and has a good changeup and breaking ball. 

I don't know what anyone here is bitching about.  This is as good of a move the Angels can do for their rotation at this point.  If this guy stays healthy, he will give the Angels what they need.  Innings.

The Angels don't have crap to trade, so you can't expect some trade for a top pitcher.

As for Lincecum, I'd like to see the Angels sign him if for nothing but depth to get through the rest of this season; however the fact that nobody has offered Tim a contract of any type after his showcase leads me to believe that teams were not too impressed.

Edited by VariousCrap

2 hours ago, RallyPanda said:

WHY ARE THEY BOTHERING TO DO ANYTHING AT ALL? JUST FU**ING GIVE UP ALREADY, PACK IT IN, PLAY THE KIDS, WE HAVE ZERO CHANCE THIS YEAR!!!!!!!

Why do you want to give up so quickly? I don't understand this negative mentality. We're not a small market team and this is May.

43 minutes ago, stormngt said:

One of the most false and over used narratives on this board.

So you have the true inside scoop on who runs this team and how Scioscia thinks?  It's human nature for the top dogs to dominate an organization and Scioscia is no different.  It's his rear that's on the line if the Angels don't win year in and year out regardless of the whims of Arte to sign players such as Wilson, Pujols and Hamilton.

Trout, Lackey, Frankie Rodriquez, Calhoun and many other young and talented Angel players were held back during Scioscia's tenure.

And Tropeano wouldn't be sniffing the majors if not for injuries, even though he belongs in the majors. 

19 minutes ago, ksangel said:

So you have the true inside scoop on who runs this team and how Scioscia thinks?  It's human nature for the top dogs to dominate an organization and Scioscia is no different.  It's his rear that's on the line if the Angels don't win year in and year out regardless of the whims of Arte to sign players such as Wilson, Pujols and Hamilton.

Trout, Lackey, Frankie Rodriquez, Calhoun and many other young and talented Angel players were held back during Scioscia's tenure.

And Tropeano wouldn't be sniffing the majors if not for injuries, even though he belongs in the majors. 

Trout was held back? He played 139 games in his rookie season after playing 40 games in 2011. 

Lackey started Game 7 of the World Series as a rookie. 

Francisco Rodriguez was a 20 year old rookie who pitched in the 8th inning of Game 7 in the World Series.

I'm not a big Scioscia supporter but the idea that he's held back young players is an entirely false narrative. 

Scioscia doesn't hold back young players.  It's up to the player development organization, minor league coaching staffs, and the GM and his immediate staff to tell him when some young player is ready for the majors.  Mike doesn't coach in the minors or do player development during the season, his focus is on the major league roster.  Some of you probably think he supervises the ushers as well.

A few people have commented (here, to me on twitter) in the wake of both the Ryan and Chacin deals that the Angels ought to just give up and let their minor leaguers play.

I think what you are forgetting with that is the terrible message that sends to the other guys in the clubhouse. Do you think that Kole Calhoun and Mike Trout and all the other guys in there think "Oh well, season's over"? And if you just forget about trying to make any improvements, the front office is basically telling the other 23 guys "sorry we don't think you're any good without Richards and Simmons." 

How's that work?

The other issue is that maybe the minor leaguers you want to play aren't any good. Maybe the Angels, who have seen far more of Nate Smith than you have, really don't think he's ready to pitch in the majors and don't want to watch him get his brains beaten in every 5 days because that could mess up his progress for down the line and, again, sends a terrible message to the other players. "We don't care about this season. We're just gonna suck."

Finally, the Angels have given up absolutely nothing to get both of these players.

25 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

A few people have commented (here, to me on twitter) in the wake of both the Ryan and Chacin deals that the Angels ought to just give up and let their minor leaguers play.

I think what you are forgetting with that is the terrible message that sends to the other guys in the clubhouse. Do you think that Kole Calhoun and Mike Trout and all the other guys in there think "Oh well, season's over"? And if you just forget about trying to make any improvements, the front office is basically telling the other 23 guys "sorry we don't think you're any good without Richards and Simmons." 

How's that work?

The other issue is that maybe the minor leaguers you want to play aren't any good. Maybe the Angels, who have seen far more of Nate Smith than you have, really don't think he's ready to pitch in the majors and don't want to watch him get his brains beaten in every 5 days because that could mess up his progress for down the line and, again, sends a terrible message to the other players. "We don't care about this season. We're just gonna suck."

Finally, the Angels have given up absolutely nothing to get both of these players.

Does acquiring Chacin rule out Lohse or Lincecum ? @Jeff Fletcher

1 hour ago, ksangel said:

19 year-old Trout had some 135 at bats (40 games) after being called up in July 2011, before finishing up in the minors again to get regular playing time.   I'd say that wasn't holding him back.    Even playing him at AAA for the first 20 games of 2012 wasn't bad either, still only being 20.

Lackey was a regular in the rotation just 3 years after being drafted in 1999 out of juco ball.

K-Rod was only 20 when debuting in September 2002, and pitched regularly after that.  The only reason he didn't close until 2005, was a solid closer named Percy.

Scioscia can be conservative with youngsters sometimes.   But it's not the slam dunk that it's made out to be on here.   

Edited by Angel Oracle

Just now, nando714 said:

Does acquiring Chacin rule out Lohse or Lincecum ?

I asked Eppler that and he didn't really say. Seems to me like they would still be interested, but I'm not sure Lincecum/Lohse would be as interested now that there's another name on the depth chart ahead of them.

Again, I'm amused that people think Lincecum or Lohse would be better than Chacin or Shoemaker. This isn't 2010.

48 minutes ago, tomsred said:

Scioscia doesn't hold back young players.  It's up to the player development organization, minor league coaching staffs, and the GM and his immediate staff to tell him when some young player is ready for the majors.  Mike doesn't coach in the minors or do player development during the season, his focus is on the major league roster.  Some of you probably think he supervises the ushers as well.

Did he send the salty nuts vendor to AAA?

Edited by JAHV76