• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Braves trade Jhoulys Chacin to Angels

I really like this move. Chacin's peripherals are pretty good compared to his actual results and what we gave up is a 23 year old LH reliever in Rookie ball who won't impact a Major League roster for 2-3 years anyway if he even makes it up to the Majors.

Chacin is only controllable through this year but if the Angels are out by the deadline he could be a potential trade chip if he plays to his peripherals and improves. Either way we need pitching to fill our rotation out considering all of the injuries. Besides maybe we re-sign him in the off-season. The free agent market for starting pitching is the worst in recent history this year and this could be a sneak peak at a possible free agent purchase.

Nice move by Eppler quite happy with this and the price.

i like the trade it fills both an immediate need and he has some long term attractiveness. 

he's not going to get the angels into the post season, and i don't think they have many illusions about that anyway, irregardless of what they say publicly. 

they need some bodies in the rotation, at least he's young and has had some success before. hell he succeeded in coors for awhile, that's got to count for something. if i had more faith in our coaches, then i could even see him as a bit of a steal.

38 minutes ago, SlappyUtilityMIF said:

I like the acquisition overall! Would be a decent mid rotation starter with a little upside. He's been kind of a hard luck guy while pitching in Coors Field. K totals are nice and he's hit the 190 inning total twice in his career. 

Flip a Coin!   

I'm not expecting a lot, because he hasn't had a decent MLB season since 2013.   But I won't discount him totally either, since he's only 28.  

Halos are in a world of hurt for starting RHP.   This at least begins to address that.

Edited by Angel Oracle

Angels are on the hook for Chacin's $1M contract...so a salary dump for Atlanta.  Atlanta will probably call up Chris Ellis who is tearing up AA.

Scioscia is running the team and he won't play young and unproven players - thus why they recalled Shoe and signed Chacin instead of calling up Nate Smith to give him a shot.

Edited by ksangel

1 minute ago, ksangel said:

Angels are on the hook for Chacin's $1M contract...so a salary dump for Atlanta.  Atlanta will probably call up Chris Ellis who is tearing up AA.

Scioscia is running the team and he won't play young and unproven players - thus why they recalled Shoe and signed Chacin. 

it's at least mildly important to keep criticism fair. two points stand out, the angels don't have dick for pitching prospects. so, there is no young unproven talent to play. also, wouldn't chacin qualify as young unproven talent? he's 28 and has had some decent time in the majors.

he's actually the exact type of pitcher that the braves, under mazzone and cox, used to kill it with in acquiring. it just goes to show how different times are in that organization, as well.

26 minutes ago, arch stanton said:

Colorado, Arizona, then this crappy Braves team. Chacin must be dancing a jig right now to be headed to a yard that holds baseballs. He might get a marine layer tattoo on the way over. 

Yeah. that marine layer certainly Helped last night! :ZWx7k_f-maxage-0_s-200x150:

3 minutes ago, Quinlanforthewin said:

Some of you are really overrating Chacin. Solid middle of the rotation piece?  Maybe for a last place team. 

Uh.....We are about 10 hours away from being a last place team, after Shoemaker gets hammered.......

Edited by DMVol

13 minutes ago, ksangel said:

Scioscia is running the team and he won't play young and unproven players - thus why they recalled Shoe and signed Chacin instead of calling up Nate Smith to give him a shot.

Nate Smith is most likely the starter on Saturday. 

Chris Ellis and Sean Newcomb are still in AA and despite both having solid ERA's, they're still walking too many batters. 

1 hour ago, RallyPanda said:

WHY ARE THEY BOTHERING TO DO ANYTHING AT ALL? JUST FU**ING GIVE UP ALREADY, PACK IT IN, PLAY THE KIDS, WE HAVE ZERO CHANCE THIS YEAR!!!!!!!

53 minutes ago, arch stanton said:

This makes the Angels better today than they were yesterday. Chip away at the stone. Only losing losers root for losses. 

The Ying and Yang of Angels fans.

This isn't Spring Training, you don't just give up and give away games ever.  You play every game to win, and put the best team you can out there because you have some level of pride in what you do.  Yes, there are cases where you may want to look at minor leaguers, but you can do it that at AAA in my opinion.  I agree that the GM should be focused on improving the team now, bit by bit if necessary, you don't give up on May 11th.

I actually like the move. When it was announced that Richards had to have TJS and Heaney might be out a while, I thought of Chacin as an option.

Hell, I thought about him as an option during the offseason.

Look, we need some kinda depth. The more arms we have between the majors and Kyle Kendrick, the better.