• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels may be in on Gardner, CarGo, etc?

• The White Sox have $13MM to spend as a result of Adam LaRoche’s March retirement and are in need of another left-handed bat, which means they’re a potential fit for outfielders Jay Bruce, Brett Gardner, Carlos Gonzalez,Seth Smith and Nick Markakis, according to Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe. The Angels could also be in on those players, per Cafardo. It’s difficult to imagine a pitching-devoid team with a barren farm system dealing assets for an outfielder, however, especially considering the respective price tags those five players carry. The least expensive player of the group is Smith, who is making $6.75MM this season and has a $7MM club option for 2017, but he’s a solid part of a first-place Seattle team that’s trying to break a 14-year playoff drought and fend off the Angels, among others, in the AL West.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/05/big-name-rumors-chicago-braun-angels-orioles-lincecum.html

THis season is a lost cause so not sure why adding one of those guys would change anything. I also don't know what they could even muster to trade. The only thing they had going for them was pitching depth but that's been nuked to hell with Richards/Heaney out for the year and CJ still working his way back from injury

How could we possibly trade for anything of significance right now?  
We have no chips to push into that pot, we are devoid of a package that would get anything of impact. 
Not to be debbie downer but our only shot would be to take on contracts and there is also no chance of that so.
We will be doing nothing, this is just the fishwrap hacks listing names that make sense without understanding the situation. 

But hey, it doesnt matter how the team does right, we get to watch Trout :)  

46 minutes ago, Torridd said:

I don't understand. Why give up on the season so quickly? I think we need some help offensively. If we can stay in the hunt until some of our pitchers return, why not try to make a deal if it betters the team?

Even Tropeano has been deceiving.   Sure he K'd 10 yesterday, but his WHIP is pretty high.

To me this isnt giving up on the season, its being realistic.  Going in i said we were not better than a third place team even if we stayed healthy.  Well, thats moot so third might be a reach.  
It doesnt matter really, we have no prospects to trade and no  budget to take on money, thats been made abundantly clear.  Short of gutting the ML roster and robbing peter to pay paul we are in short, screwed.  

Smith is a $7 million platoon player and Markakis has hit 3 HR in his last 800 PAs. He's basically Nava with a better arm and 10X the salary. Bruce would be a bust in the AL West and CarGo is probably staying put until someone starts to run away with that division.

As teams start to get desperate at certain positions then guys like Escobar, Soto, Ortega, Nava might have enough value to net something slightly better that won't be ML ready until next year or the year after. Eppler is going to have to just keep chipping away at the stone. As long as every move is a net positive they don't have to be huge.

If you can somehow get Car-Go depending on length of contract that wouldn't be a bad thing. You can pick up players that will be here a few years and that is fine.  However picking up someone on the last year of a contract in hopes of salvaging this season would be silly. 

58 minutes ago, Torridd said:

Why are you guys so bent on having a disastrous season?! Obviously, we can afford to pick up someone or two even if it's not feasible to do any trading.  still think the season is salvageable.

What makes you think we can afford anyone now, when it was made abundantly clear we wouldn't in the off season?   They cant possible have expected much better than this with a straight face.  Maybe a little due to the excessive injuries but if anything this gives them an excuse NOT to spend, whats the point of adding an OF now when we have no pitching left? 

The MLBTR writers must be thinking Moerno is lying about not wanting to go over the tax.  We could actually get a guy like Cargo if we included Calhoun in a package but then the Rockies would have to also include money and Cargo or one of the players mentioned alone isn't enough to help the Angels make the playoffs.  It's time to be selling not trying to buy.

1 hour ago, floplag said:

What makes you think we can afford anyone now, when it was made abundantly clear we wouldn't in the off season?   They cant possible have expected much better than this with a straight face.  Maybe a little due to the excessive injuries but if anything this gives them an excuse NOT to spend, whats the point of adding an OF now when we have no pitching left? 

I don't know, Flop. I would say this gives them an excuse to spend. Losing so much pitching needs to be offset by something, preferably pitching since it's all but impossible to make up the quality of pitching we lost. So logically we need more bats to score more runs for the extra runs that we'll give up. If we get nothing, you have to wonder what Arte is trying to do.

2 minutes ago, Torridd said:

I don't know, Flop. I would say this gives them an excuse to spend. Losing so much pitching needs to be offset by something, preferably pitching since it's all but impossible to make up the quality of pitching we lost. So logically we need more bats to score more runs for the extra runs that we'll give up. If we get nothing, you have to wonder what Arte is trying to do.

Perhaps but i fail to see how this is more motivating now than in the off season when our pitching staff wasnt decimated.   We had far more chance to be better then, than we do now.