• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Updated BP projections, not pretty

floplag

Baseball Prospectuc updates it projections for 2016 standings today, and its ugly for us.

Per this article, http://www.baseballprospectus.com/fantasy/dc/

We are projected in a dead last tie in the division with the A's at 75-87

Nowi get that these are fantasy ratings but still.. do statheads actually know the difference in these projections?

What i did find interesting is that they project the Indians to have the best record in the AL at 92 wins and winning the Central by a whopping 10 games.  They also project Tampa to win by three games over Boston with 91 wins.  They put the Astros on top in the West with 88 wins over Seattle by 4.

Assuming all this holds up we are looking at Cle, TB, Hou with Bos and Tor fighting for the WC. 

In the NL its the Dogs, Cubs, and Mets, with the Giants and Nats in the WC. 

Intriguing and horrible all at the same time :)  

75 Games? LOL that would be a great season... I'm thinking we Win no more than 70.

I'll bet a burrito that we win more than 75 games this coming season. So that is 5 games better than your guess. I do have to warn you I am 1-0 in my Burrito Bets, so accept at your own risk.

I have trouble believing we have gotten 15 games worse than last year, considering we had Joyce and the ghost of weaver for most of it.

We have a better bench, a better short stop, and better OBP at the top of the line up with Escobar. So no we haven't gotten 15 games worse. That being said we shouldn't have won as many games as we did last year.

I have trouble believing we have gotten 15 games worse than last year, considering we had Joyce and the ghost of weaver for most of it.

I dont think its that we have gotten that much worse, but the competition we play this season has gotten better around us and our schedule isnt a walkover by any means.  Seattle got better, even our interleague schedules is pretty brutal.  Even assuming we are the same, we will win fewer games.  15 fewer is a bit harsh though

I dont think its that we have gotten that much worse, but the competition we play this season has gotten better around us and our schedule isnt a walkover by any means. Seattle got better, even our interleague schedules is pretty brutal. Even assuming we are the same, we will win fewer games. 15 fewer is a bit harsh though

Seattle is the only team that has gotten better in my opinion. Texas has gotten healthier, but is anyone really convinced that Darvish will pitch a full season. If you are then you have to assume that a younger arm like Skaggs will really help the Angels too. Which Choo will show up, the awful one from 2014 or last years version. Houston could be great or they could be what they were after May of last year, which was a team that was under .500 for the final four months of the season. Seattle has to do it before you can claim they are that much better. Not sure if they got better or just have better balance, either way they play us tough regardless.

I'm guessing low-to-mid 80s wins.    

Houston might have the hangover-after-first-post-season-in-years affliction.  

Keuchel is Keuchel.    McHugh figures to be solid again.   

Can McCullers (still only 22) build on his solid 2015 rookie season?     Can Fiers build on his 2015 season?    Can Fister rebound in 2016?

Can the pen duplicate an unexpectedly good 2015 season?

Can the offense do more than just hit HRs?

Texas was solid the second half, but they have holes/question marks.  

Will Gallardo re-sign with them?   If not, they are left with Hamels, a Darvish who missed one season, and after that question marks in the rotation.

Can their bullpen duplicate an unexpectedly solid 2015 season?

Can Fielder supply more power than he did in 2015?    Can Choo duplicate his solid 2015 season?   Or revert to his mediocre 2014 season?

Seattle is Seattle.    Who knows what they will do in 2016?

The A'th are the A'th.    Competitive, but not ready to climb out of last place yet  

Edited by Angel Oracle

i wouldn't worry too much about it.  

Last year pecota had the following projected win totals for the 2015 season

Boston - 87

Seattle - 87

Astros - 77

Washington - 92

Pirates - 80

Cubs - 82

It's gonna be an interesting season.  

I haven't seen the Pecota depth charts for the halos, but my guess is that our offense is actually pretty average but they hate our pitching.  In fact, they have us allowing the 2nd most runs in the AL.  And really, the 2016 season truly hinges on the broad range of what our pitching could do.  

Frankly, if they are right then it was probably a good idea not to spend any money.  Maybe that's Eppler's theory here.  Until he can be confident that guys like Richards, Skaggs, Heaney, and Tropeano are going to step up, don't add.  It's a dangerous game though because you could miss out on a playoff appearance just like last year.  

1. Projections for the 2016 Angels ...

FanGraphs: 81-81

PECOTA: 75-87

USA Today: 83-79

20 retweets18 likes

More

PECOTA down on #Angels, project them to go 76-86 and finish 4th in AL West, but bullish on #Mariners, projected 84-78, 2nd place.

1 retweet4 likes

More

PECOTA projects 3 teams at 76-86: #Angels, #Royals, #Marlins.

5 retweets8 likes

Claude is going to be pumped that the Angels are projected to be as good as the Royals.

In all seriousness just that last one there by Shaikin should basically eliminate PECOTA from being taken seriously, right? Am I missing something?

by Sam Miller

Sometime today, or thereabouts, we expect to release all 2016 PECOTA projections. As part of that, there is a Royals team projection. And as part of that, there will be rolling of eyes, because, surprise, it is not a very optimistic projection. So in anticipation of the full PECOTA release...

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=28457

One of the great things about baseball is that teams can be, and often are, so much greater - or less - than the sum of their parts. That's what makes these projections a mostly silly exercise.

As for the sum of the Angels parts, none of those projections seem that off to me. But again, wtf knows what will actually happen when real life players play real life baseball. That's why we love the game.

We're better than we were last year, that's for sure, though not by much.

The main thing that's now lacking is our pitching depth after having traded away Newcomb and...Ellis? Can't remember the other guys name.

It would be quite impressive if we did worse than Joyce in left field.

Ah, we still have the GHOST of weaver, and who did we replace joyce with? Daniel James Nava...LOL....   this roster is pretty much an offensive JOKE (no pun intended)  with the exception of TROUT and Calhoun. We'll see i hope i eat my words....