• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

What has truly influenced Arte this off-season?

or maybe he doesn't think Cespedes or Upton are worth massive financial commitments.  Nor Jason Heyward, who at this point is getting paid largely based on what some folks hope he'll become. 

Dont get me wrong, i am disappointed that they didn't pull down Heyward or Upton.  At this point i'd even be happy with Cespedes.  But none of these guys are franchise players.  They're getting paid franchise player money.  I don't think that one offseason of unexpected frugality is a reason to imagine all these dramatic worst case scenarios are happening.  We have a new GM this year, we have several big contracts coming off the books next year.  Theres CBA stuff going on, and yes the stadium thing is up in the air.  Patience is annoying, but thats what we all need right now.  I think that we'll compete this year.  If not, maybe come the trade deadline we can move Calhoun and Richards and jumpstart a rebuild.  The club has money, they'll spend again.

Edited by UndertheHalo

Arte's spelled it out pretty clearly in a couple interviews - it isn't the luxury tax per se, it's a making a long, big money commitment for a player who doesn't live up to it. Wells and Pujols hurt, but Hamilton was strike three. It's pretty obvious that deal is what really burned Arte and is making him leery of spending.

Why in the world would we give Yoenis Cespedes basically the same deal as Josh Hamilton when chances are pretty good that he'd be as productive as Josh was? I think Arte is serious about putting money down for the right player, and as desperate as we are to see improvement in LF, it's clear that the risk associated with every major FA this offseason wasn't worth the price. Heyward was maybe the only one that made sense, and I still think the Angels had him in mind when they started the offseason, but it became clear early on that they weren't going to be in the running unless they massively overpaid, which takes the whole conversation back to the cost not being worth the risk. 

Both or the fact he said he would do one thing and then would be going back on it. We don't HAVE too acquire Cespedes but we also can't have Nave/Gentry starting going into the season. It sounds like the rest of the league is willing to spend less on him then we are on here and I don't even think 18-22MM is all that bad for him. He wouldn't even be here if he could just take a walk once in awhile or not get caught up in the moment at the worst time. Remember, a few postseason wins can go a long way for the moral of Arte and this Organization. The team as constructed, can achieve that IMO but won't make any kind of deep run without help. We don't need Cespedes to be the face of the franchise, thats what Mike and Albert are for. We need a player that can take the weight off of Mikes shoulders for a month or two stretch a season. Albert's "back" is increasingly more worn out every year and we don't need to be putting that kind of weight  on Mike's Shoulder's either. 

Arte's spelled it out pretty clearly in a couple interviews - it isn't the luxury tax per se, it's a making a long, big money commitment for a player who doesn't live up to it. Wells and Pujols hurt, but Hamilton was strike three. It's pretty obvious that deal is what really burned Arte and is making him leery of spending.

Why in the world would we give Yoenis Cespedes basically the same deal as Josh Hamilton when chances are pretty good that he'd be as productive as Josh was? I think Arte is serious about putting money down for the right player, and as desperate as we are to see improvement in LF, it's clear that the risk associated with every major FA this offseason wasn't worth the price. Heyward was maybe the only one that made sense, and I still think the Angels had him in mind when they started the offseason, but it became clear early on that they weren't going to be in the running unless they massively overpaid, which takes the whole conversation back to the cost not being worth the risk. 

Those three are on Arte. The problem isn't spending. It is meddling.

Possibly it's the bottom line...what can he sell the team for with a huge player budget, and what can he get if it's just a regular ol large player budget.

Just maybe he is tiring of his toy, and looking to make as much as he can when he puts it on the market.

Can't say I'd be really unhappy if he was thinking of selling.

I truly don't think Arte wants to be burned again. The Hamilton situation was a nightmare. He shouldn't approach free agency in that regard but it is what it is.

Totally agree. He's more or less said this, and multiple beat writers have sort of confirmed it from internal sources or reading between the lines.

It's not the luxury tax, it's spending big money over several years for a risky talent.

The most 'sure thing' talent this offseason was arguably Heyward, in terms of consistency. Maybe Upton. If we had a little more payroll flexibility, I think it would have been worth the risk, but we are too tight and really need the payroll flexibility in coming years. There's a farm to rebuild, players to extend, a team to keep competitive, and a stadium in flux.