• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Upton to sign with Tigers for 6yr/$132.75 million

IMO the biggest problem with DWAR is the small sample any single season cam produce. A 3 year sample probably would be a better measure of defense for a player. But players can change greatly over a 3 year period.

But two factors work in favor of a straight DWAR comp of Vizquel and Simmons.

1. Both are shortstops so they get the most chances on the diamond for the most part. They will have the largest sample in any given year.

2. Even with a small sample DWAR is a fairly good descriptor of what has happened even if it's a bad predictor of what will happen in the future.

I think it's fair to say that AS has proven to be better on a year to year basis than OV was. If Simmons keeps it up for longer he will go down as a better defender than OV.

Not utter garbage, just significantly under what he did even in 2011

We bought a $240 million man with leg and foot issues galore.

This is where Arte Moreno should have butted out of any baseball decisions, aside from approvals for acquisitions.

He couldn't understand things like drastically crouched stances wearing down legs and feet over the years. It is now apparent that Pujols' stance at the plate is likely behind the various leg/foot issues since 2011, and it will never, eeeeever get better.

Edited by Angel Oracle

And last year Pujols injured his foot when he it 1st base in Cleveland. It had nothing to do with his crouching in 2011 and before.

If crouching leads to foot and leg injuries I'm surprised Ricky Henderson and Jeff Bagwell can even walk these days

And last year Pujols injured his foot when he it 1st base in Cleveland. It had nothing to do with his crouching in 2011 and before.

If crouching leads to foot and leg injuries I'm surprised Ricky Henderson and Jeff Bagwell can even walk these days

Or any catcher

I think that is exactly what he means.

Then again, it doesn't appear that we even low balled any offers to these guys.

You don't really believe that Arte's idea of the "right guy" is to offer pissant money to a superstar do you?   Upton isn't a superstar.  Cespedes isn't a superstar, and like you said, we haven't heard any stories about the Angels lowballing guys.  

While neither guy is a mediocrity they are lesser players than even Hamilton was when the Angels signed him.  Hamilton was a career 136 OPS+ hitter when he was signed.. 

Edited by Inside Pitch

I didn't, but Arte's comments a month ago convinced me. That was when I accepted that the offseason was pretty much done and all they were going to do from there on out was look for more minor league FA's or the Daniel Nava's of the world on 1yr deal type things. Arte doesn't want to go over the threshold....it's his team so he can do with it what he wants. Unfortunately for fans, we have to accept that this is likely a .500 team who misses the playoffs for the 6th time in the past 7 years

He's having a great morning because he's filthy rich. He can put a mediocre team on the field and you guys (not you personally) keep buying season tickets. Spend that cash and fill is pockets.

You don't really believe that Arte's idea of the "right guy" is to offer pissant money to a superstar do you?   Upton isn't a superstar.  Cespedes isn't a superstar, and like you said, we haven't heard any stories about the Angels lowballing guys.  

While neither guy is a mediocrity, they are lesser players than even  Hamilton was when the Angels signed him.  Hamilton was a career 136 OPS+ hitter when he was signed.. 

I don't think he meant that....Maybe meant none of the big names were the "right guy' unless they somehow fell to us with a collapsed maket  (think Vlad in 2004).....I guess it could be a lesser guy who puts us slightly over the threshold...maybe even Howie, though the draft pick is a problem...

I tend to think a trade with Colorado is the most likely thing to happen....

Edited by DMVol

While neither guy is a mediocrity they are lesser players than even Hamilton was when the Angels signed him.  Hamilton was a career 136 OPS+ hitter when he was signed.. 

Who is a "superstar" then and how often does such a player become available on the open market? The point shouldn't be to make a "big splash" on a single superstar player. It should be to fill gigantic, gaping vaginas in the lineup with good players. Upton, Cespedes, Heyward, Fowler, Gordon, Zobrist, et al, would have been more than capable of doing this. We don't need superstars. We need good players. Good players cost a lot of money now. This is something Arte Moreno seems unable to grasp.

Who is a "superstar" then and how often does such a player become available on the open market? The point shouldn't be to make a "big splash" on a single superstar player. It should be to fill gigantic, gaping vaginas in the lineup with good players. Upton, Cespedes, Heyward, Fowler, Gordon, Zobrist, et al, would have been more than capable of doing this. We don't need superstars. We need good players. Good players cost a lot of money now. This is something Arte Moreno seems unable to grasp.

He should be able to grasp it he basically helped set that market.

Pujols is 36 and got 10 years at age 32.

Upton is 28 and got 6 years. Huge, huge difference.

There is also a huge huge difference in what the player have done or are likely to do.  ignoring that isnt exactly fair either.  Upton will never be what Pujols has been. 

Cabrera is 33 in 2016.

There is no way Jose that I would take on 8 years/$240 million for a 33 year-old.   He has to decline eventually, maybe in 2-3 years?

Halos already did that once, and got burnt.

Pujols' 6 remaining years for $165 million aren't that much worse than Cabrera's new deal.

Good luck Tigers, if you don't win a WS in the next 2 seasons.    You have albatross contracts galore by then and an aging team. 

Ken Rosenthal Retweeted Alden Gonzalez

Nava and Gentry current LF platoon

Ken Rosenthal added,

Alden Gonzalez @Alden_Gonzalez
In case you're wondering, hearing nothing has changed with the Angels: Still want to stay under the tax, still not going after Cespedes.

27 retweets49 likes

Retweet

More