• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Andrelton Simmons a top 10 SS (by MLB Network)

Chuck

To rank Peralta ahead of him is just dumb, assuming I saw that correctly.

Yeah. I think they're ranking their overall game, not just defense. 

Since Simmons isn't as good with the bat as he is with the glove, that's why they ranked him there I'm guessing.

Peralta was a 1.8 WAR player last year and Simmons was a 4 WAR player. One will be playing in his age 34 season while the other will be playing in his age 26 season. So that being said, I stand by the idea that this is a shitty list. Even the most cynical Angel fans on here would agree that Simmons is a far better player than Peralta.

Peralta was a 1.8 WAR player last year and Simmons was a 4 WAR player. One will be playing in his age 34 season while the other will be playing in his age 26 season. So that being said, I stand by the idea that this is a shitty list. Even the most cynical Angel fans on here would agree that Simmons is a far better player than Peralta.

Yeah, the MLB Network staff isn't the greatest when doing these rankings. They rarely factor in WAR when ranking the players. 

Simmons was much better when he was a Brave.

Meh.  Semien has no business being ranked over Simmons.  He is a worse hitter and good, but not as good with the glove.  Addison Russel could be better, but that's all speculation based on his hitting translating to the majors.  

Edit:  But like you guys have stated, these guys are pretty bad with rankings.  They are the same guys who put Trout as the #2 CF in baseball going into last year.

Edited by AngelsFanSince86

Simmons development with the bat is going to be very interesting.  We have to remember that his minor league development included a year of rookie ball, a year at A+ and half a season at AA.  He's got some decent pop and his ability to hit in the minors was actually quite good.  Doesn't K much and his BB rate has been improving.  

I've mentioned before that his bat has some decent upside much like a C where the defense was so far ahead.  

He had a nice bump in his line drive rate last year and is pretty good about not chasing out of the zone.  

If his bat stays the same, then fine, but my guess is that part of our interest in him comes not just from his defense but with his offensive upside.  

Simmons has 20+ hr power potential ... curious to see if he goes that route vs being a slap hitter with better OBP potential.

I am not disagreeing with you because I haven't watched him too much outside of all of the defensive highlights. Since you have watched him a ton, or at least I assume you have considering your assertion he has 20+ home run power, what does he need to do in order to reach his potential? To me he seems like a guy that could increase his average, but not necessarily increase his power. He hit 17 home runs one year, but in his other three years combined he has hit 11.

If he became a 20+ HR hitter and continued to improve his on base skills while maintaining his defensive dominance, he would be on a hall of fame path.  As it is, he is on pace to be one of the best defensive players ever.  That alone could earn him strong consideration if he can keep up his defense for another 8-10 years.

Not sure if this completely accurate, but I believe Aybar has been ranked in the top 10 a few years running, and possibly ranked higher too.

There is a few here who shat on Aybar every time someone mentioned that he was a top SS to the tune of, "Yeah, he may be a top SS but he isn't even close to the first tier. After those players, there is a significant drop off." It is true but Aybar is and was a top SS. 

Needless trade in so many ways.

It isn't a needless trade. When a player over the age of 30 has a down year you have to assume he is starting to decline. Also did you watch Aybar play defense last year? He was average and that is being nice. Simmons will help the team for the next five years and be better than Aybar has been the last couple of years. If you want to argue whether it was an overpay sure it probably was, but to say it was needless, not at all. We upgraded by 2 or 3 wins for 2016 and probably 3 or 4 wins in 2017.

It isn't a needless trade. When a player over the age of 30 has a down year you have to assume he is starting to decline. Also did you watch Aybar play defense last year? He was average and that is being nice. Simmons will help the team for the next five years and be better than Aybar has been the last couple of years. If you want to argue whether it was an overpay sure it probably was, but to say it was needless, not at all. We upgraded by 2 or 3 wins for 2016 and probably 3 or 4 wins in 2017.

blinders-ad-8x6.jpg