• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels, Nationals in mix for Gerardo Parra

Chuck

You guys realize most of these reports of teams being involved are agent plants to get leverage.

or writers bored off their rocker

or the halos making expected inquiries on pretty much any warm body that can play the OF.  

or speculation based on our perceived needs.  

why does it matter?  

If we only discussed stuff that was grounded in reality we wouldn't have anything to discuss.  

You guys realize most of these reports of teams being involved are agent plants to get leverage.

I think most of the discussion is just about the fit of the player. I doubt they sign anyone else for LF, but doesn't mean I can't debate whether or not a given player would be a good decision in the off chance they actually sign someone.

The agents for Cespedes, Upton, Parra, Fowler, and Jackson have to be getting a little bit nervous, with ST just a little over 5 weeks off.

Was it Ervin Santana who around this time fired his agent and did the deal himself? Agents don't care if their players sit out but look what happened to Rafael Soriano. 

Parra doesn't make any sense whatsoever.  Why go over the tax or have to dump salary to add a guy with a career ops+ of 97 that wouldn't really put us in a much better situation to win.  He's a marginal upgrade, but you'd still have to platoon him.  

Parra is the LF add at the end when you are one the edge and need that little push.  Kind of like Freese would be if we added one of the top remaining OFers.  Or if you added Davis and then traded Cron and Santiago for a legit 2bman.  

He's not a difference maker for us at this point unless there are still plans to make additional moves.  

If you are signing Span to play LF right now then there are no other significant moves on the way.

Perhaps the Angels aren't making a big acquisition on LF because they really feel like one of the younger guys like Rafael Ortega or Chad Hinshaw are going to step into a starting role next year?  It's kind of a reach though. 

Ortega is 24, going on 25 and owns a .288/.355 BA/OBP in the minors.  No real power to speak of, but he's a safe bet for 20-30 steals a year and good defense.  In the majors, it's possible he's a .260/.320 25 SB and good defense option.  That's probably good for 2 wins. 

Hinshaw is ticketed for AAA as well and will be 25 for this next season.  Owns a career BA/OBP of .276/.382.  He has more power than we saw this last season and is a safe bet for 30+ SB on a yearly basis.  I think in the majors, .270/.350 10 HR and 30 SB with good defense can be achieved.  He might be a 3-win player.  

When I see the Angels connected to names like Gerardo Parra, my immediate reaction is, "why?"  So he can hit .280/.330 with 10 HR and 10 SB with average defense?  I mean cool, he's a 2-3 win player, but I feel like he puts us over the luxury tax limit for something we already have, a potential 2-3 win player option.  For me, it's Upton/Cespedes or bust. They're the only ones that provide a large enough upgrade that you can justify spending money. 

Parra doesn't make any sense whatsoever.  Why go over the tax or have to dump salary to add a guy with a career ops+ of 97 that wouldn't really put us in a much better situation to win.  He's a marginal upgrade, but you'd still have to platoon him.  

Parra is the LF add at the end when you are one the edge and need that little push.  Kind of like Freese would be if we added one of the top remaining OFers.  Or if you added Davis and then traded Cron and Santiago for a legit 2bman.  

He's not a difference maker for us at this point unless there are still plans to make additional moves.  

100% this. Of course, I'm incredibly down on this FO so I can totally see them going over the tax for Parra

I'd just as soon see what we can get out of the platoons.  Seems to me that it probably produces similarly.  To me if its not Cespedes or Upton, it is what it is.  We'll see what we have come April.  Ive pretty much resigned myself to the idea that they probably wont win the division.  I'm hoping for them to compete and hopefully get the wild card.

Edited by UndertheHalo

Jeff pisses on everything.

He knows infinitely more about what's going on in the world of the FO than any of us do, but he is far from always right (he himself would gladly admit this, I'm sure).

That said, it was unlikely the Angels were going to do anything of significance this winter anyways, after Arte shit on Chuck's couch.

Still hope Arte sells the team. Not so we can get an owner with reckless abandon who will go all Dodgers on the market the next few years. But so we can have an owner who isn't a petty, grumpy old man who ****s up the team and then punishes the fans for his own mistakes.

Jeff Fletcher pissed all over this report, said Angels are not in on any FA but think they will get a LF from a trade. Jeff says the Angels are in on Charle Blackmon.

woah, that would be huge.