• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Is anyone else worried about the bullpen?

Second Base

I feel like it's been largely overlooked.  Typically, two things help dictate playoff success.  Speed off the bench, and a good, deep bullpen.  I think the Angels have that speed off the bench now with Gentry, but after the Gott-Escobar trade, no I'm wondering how the bullpen will shape up. 

The middle relief last year was downright terrible after Gott.  Once Street and Smith were hurt, we had no one to secure a lead with that we can trust going into this year. 

Right now, the middle relief is shaping up to be Salas, Bedrosian, and Morin.  

Salas is the single worst player on the Angels right now, Bedrosian has shown no sign of putting it together, and Morin is inconsistent as well.  In my opinion, we don't just need one steady middle reliever.  Now we need two. 

What do you guys think?

I think one of Morin / Bedrosian / Rasmus could step forward and help next year.

&

I think one of Shoemaker / Santiago / CJ could help in the bullpen next year.

I think that could help the 6th / 7th innings, etc.

That said it's looking a little uncertain at this point...

I don't think Gott was the glue that help our BP together and he's completely replaceable. 

agreed, i was against trading Gott for some random middling prospects, but I did not anticipate them pulling down Escobar for him.  Its a very good deal for us and seemingly exactly what we were looking for.  We got a top of the order high on base middle infielder (though i guess they'll use him at 3b) .....  lets plug all the everyday holes then figure out the bullpen.  Maybe one of the starters can help out back there.  

Edited by UndertheHalo

Here we go again right?  

Maybe not.  Her is bullpen WAR from the last 6 seasons.  Notice the Yankees.  Notice the Angels.  I think our GM understands it's importance 

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=rel&lg=all&qual=0&type=8&season=2015&month=0&season1=2010&ind=0&team=0,ts&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0

Granted, the Yankees had the best closer of all time, but I can't imagine Eppler just disregarding this segment of the game.  

I think Eppler is very confident in his ability to find pen arms without spending a ton of money.  

My only problem is that he absolutely cannot do what happened in 2010 to 2013.  There is no margin for error now.  5 years of Trout.  That's what he's got.  5 years to bring it home.